Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And another newbie

Re: And another newbie

I started hunting big game with a 7mm Rem Mag as a 30-06 wasn't available to me at the time......but the guy in the store said it was as good (not knowledgeable back then) so I bought it. It was a Rem 700 and with the 24" barrel it was long and heavy, but didn't notice it that much in the excitement of youth.

I started handloading then and only ever used 175gr bullets for hunting and over the next 10 years bagged a moose near every year along with some b-bears. It was a real good shooter and kept it in the safe for another 10 years then sold it off.

Over the years I collected more rifles than I used so about 7-8 years ago purged the safe and decided on two stainless synthetic rifles for hunting. One is a 30-06 and the other is a 9.3mm. The idea being one for the light stuff and one for heavy game.

Both rifles are Sako 85's and are light enough and portable and can be used in all conditions. The 9.3 is a thumper on game and the shooter, the 30-06 very user friendly and has taken game big and small, it works so well that I have to purposely decide to use the 9.3......the 30-06 is the default hunting tool.

As others will attest the 30-06 is boring, has probably the widest range of bullets available in factory loads, will kill any animal at normal hunting ranges, doen't beat up the user physically or financially. And , in a quality rifle are as accurate as any other round in real world conditions.

There are a lot of choices, check the ballistic charts they will give you a good comparison on power and trajectory..........and then mount a fixed 6X scope, Leupold 6x36 or 6x42 are good choices.

Good luck on your search, don't forget that there is a lot of good barely used rifles and optics out there.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Quote Originally Posted by BCBRAD View Post
    and then mount a fixed 6X scope, Leupold 6x36 or 6x42 are good choices.

Good luck on your search, don't forget that there is a lot of good barely used rifles and optics out there.
    Why fixed? I think my 308 has a fixed scope (not sure of the zoom..it's pretty old) and had considered changing it...that's why I ask. I think it's a Weaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0834 View Post
    good to hear that the $400 binos are good enough. I have my cheap $50 pair that need to be replaced. I haven't tried any yet but I was scared that I was going to have to step up to the $1000 models. same as scopes. Crazy how expensive they are, even used ones.
    Just picked up a pair of the Nikon Monarch 7 in 10X42 on Ebay for $300 USD, lightly used, for my son...so yeah about $400 CDN. Opticsreviewer.com has a good review of the Nikons versus Bushnell Elites versus Vortex Vipers, and the Nikons edged the others and were a bit less. I use Meopta Meostar HDs, made across the border in the Czech Republic from Swarovski in Austria. I got them new on an Ebay auction for $800 USD when our dollar was about par...the Cabelas Euro Instinct HD is the re-badged version. Basically the Nikon Monarch 7 would be about 95% as good as the Big 3 that battle for top spot, Swarovski/Leica/Zeiss, and the Meoptas are about 97.5% as good...but when you consider what they cost versus the $3000 or so for the German/Austrian binos...that's close enough.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Mike and I, and a couple buddies, all shoot 30-06. It might not be the sexiest caliber but you can't go wrong with it in BC. I tend to shoot 178-180gr and Mike shoots 165gr.

We plan to do a gear/bag dump episode soon. We are rookie's as well so you should find it helpful.
    Mike & Kelly

Download our podcast "The Rookie Hunter" from iTunes or stream it from our website.

http://www.therookiehunter.com/podcast/
    https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-rookie-hunter/id1091008357

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Why fixed? I think my 308 has a fixed scope (not sure of the zoom..it's pretty old) and had considered changing it...that's why I ask. I think it's a Weaver.
    fixed means it has no zoom. it is what it is, no more, no less... always.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Quote Originally Posted by hoochie View Post
    fixed means it has no zoom. it is what it is, no more, no less... always.
    I know I'm not an expert, but I disagree. Fixed means that the zoom (i.e. magnification) isn't variable. But it might be 2x zoom, 4x zoom, 10x zoom, etc. It's just not a range of zoom (e.g. 3-9, 5-15, etc).

If there's no zoom, it's less of a magnified scope and more just a reticle/set of crosshairs.

You just have a misinterpretation of terms. A zoom lens is one with variable magnification whereas a fixed lens has its magnification set. Technically a true Zoom lens does not change focus when magnification changes. One of those magnificent achievements when you think about it. But zoom does not mean magnification. 2x 4x 10x all simply refer to magnification.

Why use a fixed scope? It's cheaper, simpler with fewer parts to go wrong, and never accidentally left on maximum magnification. They work well for many reasonable hunting scenarios. I like variable scopes better at the range but these days I do most of my hunting with a Luepy fixed 4.

Fair enough, I can admit when I'm on the wrong end of semantics. I'd always understood Zoom and Magnification to be the same, but now understand (after further research) that, technically, zoom is the difference between the focal lengths of a variable scope. So a 2-10x magnification is actually a 5x zoom, a 3-9x is 3x zoom, etc. I learned something new today.

The colloquial use of the word "Zoom", though, is my source of original misinterpretation. So, yep, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    I'd have to disagree, a 3-9X or 2.5-10X for the interior is excellent, you keep the scope at the lower magnifications so you can aim quickly if you get a sudden opportunity, and crank it higher if you find yourself in a large clear cut area and/or you spot an animal at distance. Best of both worlds, quick sight acquisition at 3X for a "holy shyte, that's a 5 point buck in the trees 50 yards away!" to the extra magnification at 10X to put the bullet right behind it's shoulder at 350 yards, and miss the bush in front of him. Fixed power scopes by definition are always a compromise...and that's great when it comes to women, but not in our hunting equipment. A couple of things, if I were hunting the little coastal blacktails I'd be tempted to go with 4-14X for the extra magnification on those little guys at longer range; and with all the rain I'd definitely go with Bushnell Elite 4500s or 6500s or Swarovski rifle scopes...both have a lens coating that lets you see much better in the rain. IF and only if your budget is so tight that you can't afford to pay attention after buying your rifle, knife, and binos, then get the Bushnell Legend HDs...the glass isn't as good as the Elites nor is the light transmission at dawn and dusk, but it does have Rainguard and they'll be adequate in most situations. I'd get a cheaper knife and bring a sharpener, buy a used Husqvarna 1600 and glass bed it into it's old stock for .5 moa, get the Nikon Monarch 7 10X42 binos for $400 instead of Meoptas for $800-1000, and use that money on a better scope. It has to give you a clear picture of where you need to put a bullet at sometimes long range, in dim light with brush in the way, and is a very key bit of kit!
    Last edited by Singleshotneeded; 04-09-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Actually ordered a Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 M-Plex. Supposedly has quite good low light optics. Just not sure if I should switch for the #4 reticle.