Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And another newbie

Re: And another newbie

Welcome to the site.

7mmRM will do the ticket if you don't mind the recoil. It has never bothered me and it is one of my favourite cartridges. Good luck.

How did you find the CORE course?

To be honest I felt like it was a bit of a waste of time. I didn't really feel that I got much out of it. I think anyone that has spent sometime outdoors can challenge and pass the test no problem. The course was really good for breaking down what was on the test and what they want you to know but thats about it.

I'm in full agreement with the other guys on here about a magnum not being a great idea for a new shooter, for the ammo cost and the extra recoil that makes you not want to practice as much...not to mention the chance of developing a flinch, especially if you're practicing with just a t-shirt on in summer(no padding). So, if you see yourself doing a ton of stalking/hiking or trying for goats or sheep, you'll want a nice light mountain rifle...light rifles recoil harder...so consider the 7mm-08. If you're going to almost exclusively hunt deer and just walk from the truck to your spot on the edge of the clear-cut, then I'd suggest a .270. Finally, if you're seeing yourself hunting moose and elk as well as medium game in future, I'd recommend a .308. Very close to 30.06 ballistics, but a bit less recoil to make practicing more fun. Welcome to HBC!
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

I love the 30-06...(if ya can't tell by the name)....im not a super big guy so the recoil of the 06 is perfect and also love the choices in grain...great gun for someone getting into it.....if your from lower mainland give me a pm and I could possibly take ya out for a spring bear

Scotty, thanks, I may just take you up on that offer. Gotta wait and get my rifle though. Been looking at the weatherby vanguard 2 in a 30-06 very hard recently. I'm going to wait for the cloverdale gun show though. See if theres any deals to be had there.

That rifle is a little lighter I think so it'll be better for the long hiking, stalking methods I imagine myself being in to more. And I am definitely going to be looking to do an elk hunt in the future.

Welcome.You well have an addiction that can only be quenched by numerous trips to the bush. Hours at the range. Sitting around the campfire hearing BS from your buds. Spending a lot of money on hunting toys. Finding and hopefully harvest an animal for you freezer. Then years of thinking ,dreaming and pondering about hunting. Choosing a big game caliber is fun and daunting. No matter what you choose there well always be someone who thinks you made a mistake. That is why you will have in the end numerous guns in your collection. Enjoy your new addiction..PS there is no rehab center for this addiction .You are on your own but when its all done you will die with an empty wallet and a smile on your face. Oh and one more PS look at a 280..lol..See what I mean???

well said! I know I already have an addiction to hunting and I've never actually been on a hunt yet. It's all I can think/talk about, ask my wife. I've spent years hiking and camping and this is just the next big exciting step. The only cause for regret about diving so deep in to this is the unbelievable cost of gear. I did not at all expect to be looking at thousands of dollars for gear. But oh well, start with the bare minimums and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0834 View Post
    The only cause for regret about diving so deep in to this is the unbelievable cost of gear. I did not at all expect to be looking at thousands of dollars for gear. But oh well, start with the bare minimums and go from there.
    My situation isn't too different from yours and I ordered >$1000 binos. Wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0834 View Post
    well said! I know I already have an addiction to hunting and I've never actually been on a hunt yet. It's all I can think/talk about, ask my wife. I've spent years hiking and camping and this is just the next big exciting step. The only cause for regret about diving so deep in to this is the unbelievable cost of gear. I did not at all expect to be looking at thousands of dollars for gear. But oh well, start with the bare minimums and go from there.
    It can get expensive, but you can buy an old gem of a Husqvarna .270/30.06 ($400) and put a decent scope ($300) on it...and pick up a very good pair of binos like the Nikon Monarch 7 in 10X42 on Ebay for $400 CDN...hell you can even buy a used knife and get a sharpening stone...there are ways to keep the cost down. Just don't skimp on the merino wool underwear...you'll love that stuff in the mountains at the crack of dawn, keeping you warm.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

good to hear that the $400 binos are good enough. I have my cheap $50 pair that need to be replaced. I haven't tried any yet but I was scared that I was going to have to step up to the $1000 models. same as scopes. Crazy how expensive they are, even used ones.