Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: And another newbie

Re: And another newbie

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Actually ordered a Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 M-Plex. Supposedly has quite good low light optics. Just not sure if I should switch for the #4 reticle.
    Good choice, I've used Meopta binos for a few years and spotted the antlers of bedded down bucks that cheaper binos would've made me think were branches. They're right next door to Swarovski and it shows. As long as the centre cross is fine, and doesn't obscure the target, you can go with whatever reticle you like...the German #4 is good...
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Welcome mike!

My advice is don't get caught up in the idea that you can't hunt with anything less than the best. Lots of folks will tell you that you need a $1200pr of bino's, a $2000 gun with a $2000 scope on it, $1000 worth of clothes etc, but you can get it done with a lot less. Especially when you're just starting out. It's nice to have the fancy gear, but if we actually needed all that, then how did hunters do it a hundred years ago. My first deer rifle was a $200 sks. It served me well for several seasons, then i moved up to a sporterized 303 enfield which i still kept and occasionally used long after i got a nice brno 270. My favorite camo, even now, is my surrey tuxedo (mac jacket).

There's so many trappings in hunting gear (pun intended) but i always try to remember the old bit of wisdom i heard long ago. Those expensive lures are to catch the fishermen not the fish.

Having said that make sure that your rifle is a good fit and reasonably accurate. That's more important than caliber. If you have friends that shoot, see if you can try a few different models on for size.

You've already got a leg up on many new hunters in the fact you're already an outdoorsman. Means you probably already have a lot of gear that'll carry over and more importantly you're already getting out there.

Good luck have fun and be safe
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

Down to earth advice from buck nash. Good stuff

Yep, I'll echo what Buck Nash said. You can still hunt without the best of the best gear. If I tallied up what my gear cost id be surprised if I've spent more than $1200. That includes rifle, clothing, boots, binos, backpack etc. For clothing all you need is something that is quiet and keeps you comfortable. I wear grey wool milsurp pants, 2 pairs for $40.

Thanks guys, yep I'll definitely keep it simple for now. It's fun to check out all the fancy gear online but I think that gaining some experience is going to be way more beneficial then stockpiling new gear. I was out doing some scouting for black bear this past weekend. I saw 4 deer but no bear. Checked out sunshine valley area and harrison east. No sign anywhere. But I was happy to hear no one else is really seeing anything yet. Happy at least that I wasn't missing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0834 View Post
    Thanks guys, yep I'll definitely keep it simple for now. It's fun to check out all the fancy gear online but I think that gaining some experience is going to be way more beneficial then stockpiling new gear. I was out doing some scouting for black bear this past weekend. I saw 4 deer but no bear. Checked out sunshine valley area and harrison east. No sign anywhere. But I was happy to hear no one else is really seeing anything yet. Happy at least that I wasn't missing them.
    Remember the old $400 Husky rifle, the $400CDN Nikon Monarch 7 10X42 binos from Ebay, and unless you're banging your rig against rocks in the mountains hunting sheep, then Bushnell Elite scopes kick butt for a few hundred. Be out there and looking for sign...that trumps everything...
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!