Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth Recurve Suggestions

Youth Recurve Suggestions

Hello

My 8 year old daughter wants a "boanarow" (her spelling not mine)' for her birthday. I am thinking a recurve to start out and wanted to keep the budget around $200 if possible since I am not sure if she will like it. She is pretty tiny so I am thinking 15-20lb max.

Seems like a lot of crap out there, any suggestion?

Thanks HBC!
    Last edited by Rhyno; 03-16-2016 at 07:41 PM.
    KCCO

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Youth Recurve Suggestions

Yes. Call Monty. You have his number.
    He's in Hawaii until the end of the month. But he'll have everything you need.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Yes. Call Monty. You have his number.
    He's in Hawaii until the end of the month. But he'll have everything you need.
    Actually I got ahold of Mont, the birthday is the 29th, so not enough time to get it in after he returns.
    KCCO

Samic sage is hard to beat for the price.. Depending on how light the limbs go
    Thunderstick Moab hybrid longbow T/D 58" 52#@28". Jim Reynolds
    Crow Creek Crow Mag hybrid longbow 3/pc 60" 51#@28". Elmer Patton

Field editor @ Journal of Mountain Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    Hello

My 8 year old daughter wants a "boanarow" (her spelling not mine)' for her birthday. I am thinking a recurve to start out and wanted to keep the budget around $200 if possible since I am not sure if she will like it. She is pretty tiny so I am thinking 15-20lb max.

Seems like a lot of crap out there, any suggestion?

Thanks HBC!
    Good morning Rhyno , Aside from poundage , proper bow length may be hard to get . It`s a bit of a problem in that you want Her to grow into it a bit and still be short enough to properly energize it . Tiny super lite arrows are hard to find but worth it .
    No problem on reselling these bows as there is quite the demand .

Cheers

PS: Her very own Princess Bow Quiver would be a great project !
    Last edited by greybark; 03-17-2016 at 07:40 AM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Probably too small for her, but there's some nice ones Bob got in at True Flight in Cranny. I'm looking to pick one up for my son's 3rd birthday once he sees me with my new compound I hope to pick up in the next week. They fly pretty good!
    Yup, that coiler is a personal best...

If you are not sure if she will enjoy it or not, just start out very cheap. Get a little Bear fiberglass bow. The package that comes with the arrows and glove and arm guard. Get the ambidextrous one so you can figure out which hand she shoots. The easier it is to start, the more fun she will have and the more she will want to keep doing it. Start the poundage quite low like 15# max until she figures out the mechanics of it.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I went to Ture Flight in town and was talked into a compound.

Looking forward to taking her out!
    KCCO

My daughter (8yrs old) and my son (6yrs old) found some sticks and made a bow with multiple elastic bands as a string. I didn't even help them or tell them how, they just came into the house with it. I was very happy to see them figure this out on their own. A few days later the stick snapped in half and I managed to glue it back together and duct tape it. I am not a bow hunter nor have I ever shot a bow and was thinking of getting into it. I've done a bit of research and it seems a recurve is the best option. I will take some measurements to see how long of a draw length would suit them and a light enough poundage weight. Are there any other suggestions you guys might have for easy to use youth bows or good video's to check out for technique and form?

Quote Originally Posted by walker1985 View Post
    My daughter (8yrs old) and my son (6yrs old) found some sticks and made a bow with multiple elastic bands as a string. I didn't even help them or tell them how, they just came into the house with it. I was very happy to see them figure this out on their own. A few days later the stick snapped in half and I managed to glue it back together and duct tape it. I am not a bow hunter nor have I ever shot a bow and was thinking of getting into it. I've done a bit of research and it seems a recurve is the best option. I will take some measurements to see how long of a draw length would suit them and a light enough poundage weight. Are there any other suggestions you guys might have for easy to use youth bows or good video's to check out for technique and form?
    Where are you located? I have lots of bows for all shapes, ages and sizes. If you are local, I can share them with you and your kids to try them out. My kids started around age 6 with a 20lb Porcupine recurve.