Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about first few guns

Re: Question about first few guns

Definitely agree with a .22, and 12g. However there are lots of really good choices for a first big game rifle 270, 308, 30-06, 7mm(any of them), 280, etc. Personally I use a 270win for 90% of my big game hunting and a 25-06rem for the rest. Recoil doesn't bother me but I do shoot better when there's less.

Sounds like you're interested in the same primary hunts as me, to start.

My dad passed down an old, but excellent condition Browning .308 that was left to him by his old hunting buddy when he passed away. It doesn't look fancy, but we took it to the range last year and it was spot on. Did some reading and it sounds like, with the right ammo, it'd be a great gun to go all the way up to moose, but it's taken a lot of deer in its day.

He also gave me his 10/22 that he'd used about three times (because he'd replaced it with a camo version of the same gun...okay Dad, sure...I'll take your gun that's shot about 10 rounds because you bought a new one in a different colour scheme...). I got three grouse with his last year (didn't have the wood stock with us that time).

I was thinking about a shotgun as well, but then thought "maybe I'll just spend some time at the range and then the .22 will be enough." Is that naive?

A Savage over and under would work. 22 over 12 or 20g. Then you would have one gun to carry for grouse, rabbits and ducks. I know a guy that has one he uses for deer and grouse. It is 30 30 over 20gauge. I would love to have that.

Can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. Weatherby makes a pretty good pump action 12 ga, and I'm partial to .30-06. Which brand of .30-06 is up to your budget, and what feels best when you're holding it. Don't cheap out on glass though.

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Sounds like you're interested in the same primary hunts as me, to start.

My dad passed down an old, but excellent condition Browning .308 that was left to him by his old hunting buddy when he passed away. It doesn't look fancy, but we took it to the range last year and it was spot on. Did some reading and it sounds like, with the right ammo, it'd be a great gun to go all the way up to moose, but it's taken a lot of deer in its day.

He also gave me his 10/22 that he'd used about three times (because he'd replaced it with a camo version of the same gun...okay Dad, sure...I'll take your gun that's shot about 10 rounds because you bought a new one in a different colour scheme...). I got three grouse with his last year (didn't have the wood stock with us that time).

I was thinking about a shotgun as well, but then thought "maybe I'll just spend some time at the range and then the .22 will be enough." Is that naive?
    do you spot most of your grouse before they fly or after...22 if you are stealthy but a 12 guage will take one out of the air pretty reliably and the bonus is it will still "slug" a deer or a bear in a pinch...

@jTred. thats what I have concluded at this point. Going for 12 ga and .22. Still debating about my first big game gun. I am not buying all three of them together anyways so I am hoping, with time and experience I'll know what I want. But its good to know what people like yourself are using -helps in keeping my options open.

@ruger#1 - I saw a review of that gun on youtube - people who use it like it. I have mixed feeling out it- maybe once i handle it, it may change my mind.

@AgSilver - you are lucky, you have access to plethora of knowledge regarding hunting. At the very least, enough to get you started. I come from a family who have lived in the city doing city things their entire life. I am the "odd-ball"

@Fella - definitely considering the 10/22. I have only looked at remington 870 and mossberg 500 as they are in the $500 range brand new. Everybody on youtube just talks about these two, so weatherby never crossed my mind. I'll check some reviews out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    do you spot most of your grouse before they fly or after...22 if you are stealthy but a 12 guage will take one out of the air pretty reliably and the bonus is it will still "slug" a deer or a bear in a pinch...
    My limited experience so far is that they're dumb and let you get pretty close before going anywhere. So that part wasn't an issue - just shot them before we got too close.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepJeep View Post
    @AgSilver - you are lucky, you have access to plethora of knowledge regarding hunting. At the very least, enough to get you started. I come from a family who have lived in the city doing city things their entire life. I am the "odd-ball"
    Yes, but my dad doesn't approach stuff with the same analytical method that I do, so it's a bit different, but it is really nice to be able to have him teach me how to skin a grouse by standing on its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Yes, but my dad doesn't approach stuff with the same analytical method that I do, so it's a bit different, but it is really nice to be able to have him teach me how to skin a grouse by standing on its wings.
    remember to do it while they are still fresh....seen the legs just pull right off on cold ones

Quote Originally Posted by DeepJeep View Post
    Hello again guys,
    As I mentioned in my intro post, I am planning on doing some snowshoe hare, grouse, an try deer hunting within the next year. My question is about the right kind of gun for each hunt. From my research online, I understand that everyone has their favourite. People generally stick to 2 guns: .22 LR, and a 30-06. I actually visited our local firearm dealer and that is exactly what he said as well. However, I would like to know what you guys prefer for each hunt and perhaps what may be recommended for someone like me who's new. I know I am getting .22LR for sure but unsure about others. Do people normally prefer shotguns over .22 for grouse and hare? Some specific advise would be great i.e. bolt action vs semi-auto, specific Ga shotgun with shot size & with the type of choke..etc,

Type of hunts I am interested in:
    - snowshoe hare
    - grouse
    - deer

thank you kindly.

DS

PS: if someone in the West Kootenay area has some extra time on their hands, I would really appreciate some hand on knowledge... i think i have seen enough of field dressing and skinning videos on youtube. Its time for some hands-on stuff.
    For grouse and snowshoes you don't need a 12 gauge, you can get a 20 gauge in a lighter shotgun that'll be more fun to carry for a few hours! If you get an over and under, then you can screw in a cylinder bore choke in the lower barrel and use #7 1/2 shot, 2 3/4" shells marked light or field loads for close up shots...so you don't ruin the meat. These shots will usually be grouse, as they often let you get close. The upper barrel you can then screw in a full choke, and use #6 shot, 3" shells marked heavy/pheasant/magnum loads, and use those for long shots...these will usually be on snowshoes, but sometimes you'll get a long shot on a bird. 20 gauge with turkey loads will also get the job done on turkeys if you decide to go for them, and the lighter weight will be appreciated at the end of the day. For deer, you can't go wrong with a bolt action in stainless steel with a synthetic or laminate stock...and since you're new to hunting and shooting, I'd recommend you get a .270 Win calibre instead of a 30.06...the 17 foot pounds of recoil of the .270 versus the 20 ft.-lbs. of the 30.06 makes practicing with a couple of boxes of ammo a lot more enjoyable. With 140 grain Nosler Accubonds that almost all guns like, and sighting in 3" high at 100 yards, you'll be able to shoot deer out to almost 400 yards with no correction for elevation...just aim at the centre of the kill zone and slowly squeeze. Later, if you decide to try hunting elk as well, you can switch to Nosler Partitions in 150 grain or go to a Barnes ttsx or Hornady GMX...and you're in business. If you're not recoil sensitive at all, the 30.06 is an even better choice on elk and moose, but that depends on you and your shoulder. As far as the .22LR versus the shotgun for grouse and snowshoes debate, in good years when they're plentiful I often take the .22 out and use it...if I'm a whisker off on a head shot or two it's no big deal, if there are plenty. In down cycle years I always use a shotgun, I've never been presented with a shot at either a grouse or hare that I've missed when using a shotgun...even if the hare starts to run, with the shotgun you can nail it. A spread of bird shot leaves no room for argument. Well, I hope this helps, feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!