Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting new Bows

Re: Shooting new Bows

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    I understand the pay before you buy. Who pays if accidently dry fired? Shit happens. Just sayin. Especially with someone thar has never shot a bow. Store will have to install a new rest(out of package). If you dont buy he will have a used rest. You should be able to do your homework on the internet and talk to guys that shoot compounds to get their feed back.
    Fair comment. I bet you have never bought a pair of boots with trying them on thou have you?. Fitment is different for everyone. Your right I haven't shot shot a comound, but I'd assume they are easier to dry fire without an arrow knocked!.

We wil agree to disagree but I do value your opinion.
    Last edited by exv; 03-10-2016 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by exv View Post
    Fair comment. I bet you have never bought a pair of boots with trying them on thou have you?. Fitment is different for everyone. Your right I haven't shot shot a comound, but I'd assume they are easier to dry fire without an arrow knocked!.

We wil agree to disagree but I do value your opinion.
    But you can't go for a hike in those boots first.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

Would you pay full brand new price for a bow that has been shot a bunch by a bunch of different guys?
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

Yes... Because it is new... Has full warranty... This is normally how bow shops work. Try the bow... If you like it you buy it. If not, you are not stuck with a bow that doesn't work for you. I can't believe there are guys on here that believe you should have to pay for the bow before you try it... That is crazy. It is understandable if the staff is too busy with other customers to help you out and let you try a few bows but to say you have to buy it before I will let you try it is nuts. Ask on any archery forum what bow you should get and 90% of the people will say "shoot as many as you can and choose the one you like best" the other 10% will tell you to buy what they bought.

I wouldnt buy a bow i havent tryed first, not a chAnce! I bought my carbon spyder fx from a small shop and even they had a ton of demo bows.

I don't want to rain on your parade but how many guns have you shot before purchasing? Not many or nothing new is my guess. There is a lot more to just shooting a bow to see if you like it, in fact shooting the bow is the last thing due to all the technicalities involved. Dry fire, draw length, arrow weight, release, sights, peep hole, among others. I bet there is not one shop that sets all this up for you, on multiple bows just so you can give it a try.

I would as others have suggested and look up a few they carry for reviews and then ask them to help you narrow it down from there depending on what you learned. The folks at Hardcore Archery are top notch and will help you as much as you ask just do some research first.

If I was in a bow shop about to drop 1400 on a new bow, I sure as hell would want to shoot it first. I do get the reasons why they wouldnt want you to, but they should absolutely let you. Otherwise as others have said, buy online and save the money, clearly they arent working with you so why give them the business.

There is lots of crazy deals on top of the line brand new bows on archerytalk. If your not gunna get the service you expect from your local shop cut them out of the picture and get it online. Thats what me and lots of my buddies did. I even bought a bowpress , drawboard and all the tuning goodies so i could service them myself. Bowshops get a few bows for pretty cheap from the manufacture as demo or shop bows so the excuse of not having one or two to try doesnt really make sence. For evey 5 bows i ordered i got one shop or shooter bow cheap when i was selling them.
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 03-19-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Its a dilemma for sure. Assuming a shop carries three manufactures lines each having five models, and even if you limit the demo bows to one draw weight and draw length for each model (which will only give a small percentage of customers the full experience - have you ever shot a bow that was too heavy/light of short or long draw?) ... and each bow has a rest and sight... and the average cost is only $1,000 not including set up time... do the math. That is over $30K every year just in demo bows plus any inventory you want to carry. Selling demo equipment takes a sale out of your profitable inventory.

I certainly couldn't afford to do it. There isn't much margin on bows to start with and having to turn over that many demo bows at a discount every year would kill it for most brick and mortar stores.

I think the manufacturers are failing the Canadian retailers by not hosting LOTS of demo days around the Country!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Buying a new bow is totally a feel thing you can only experience from shooting it. When buying a new gun you can shoulder it at the store to get the feel of it, with a snap cap you can get the trigger feel also. A new bow just needs a loop and cheap whisker bisquit on it to shoot it at point blank range, even if the draw length was off you could get a close feel on shooting it then if you liked it get fitted properly to the bow you purchase. With the economy the way it is nowadays superb customer service is the only thing local shops have to offer over online shopping, price and selection is something the local shops cant compete with. My cost on a new elite was 629us for regular dealer but every 5 bows ordered i got one for 379us as a demo or staff discount bow. You could easily shoot it as a demo and still make money on it after 6 months. Elites tv commercials say Take the Elite Shootabilty Challange which i dont think means come buy one first then shoot it lol. Prime has Test drive a Prime?
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 03-20-2016 at 12:15 PM.