Thread: How far does shot travel?

How far does shot travel?

So... This whole 'rural' shooting thing is new to me, I am use to open water or fields where I have 400-500 yards wide open for my shot to fall out. I have a few properties that have geese and have invited me out to shoot, my concern lies in the proximity to neighbours and horses. I am just curious what range you guys feel a BB pellet would travel, how far it could hurt(not kill but sting) and what you consider to be 'safe' shooting distances?

I have set up and shot the one field but was hesitant on my shots due to not wanting to rain pellets on the neighbours barn 250m away.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How far does shot travel?

we used to shoot at opposite sides of a bay where a long brimmed hat was an absolute must....those lead hail stones were not too bad when they hit ya...not sure but I would guess that the modern shot hits even softer

A couple hundred yards is what I was taught. Rough calculations from shooting over water would roughly back that up.

That's why I won't shoot at a duck if it is farther than 175 yards away

I suspect some loads would travel a bit farther but I don't usually hunt where I can see other hunters or houses so I don't worry too much.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

up to 700 yards for larger shot according to a chart I once saw, and it varies a lot depending on shot size (I think 700 yards was BB lead). But if you're shooting upwards birdshot will come down without enough force to hurt anyone or break anything.

Info I have seen was 235 yards for 7.5 lead to 700 yards for buckshot and 1200 yards for slugs at the opium angle
    Steel BB was 350 yards

All my testing has been done with #2s since thats all i use for ducks and geese and the 1425fps go to 230 yards and the 1560's go 245 yards. I had to test this because some of the places i hunt are small so i didnt want to be pissing anyone off with hailing pellets on houses or roads

PAL taught me "all of the above"

My buddy was barred from a feild he swung to far left and rained on a dairy barn...watch your swing...there was lots of birds that day no need to be reckless.