Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The demise of "E" collars in B.C.

Re: The demise of "E" collars in B.C.

im leaning toward the Sportdog 1825 after a lot of research and talking with a ton of guys. The Garmin pro 70 was another I liked

Why guys, however did we train hunting dogs before we could electricute them. You idiots. No one doubts it is effective, the SPCA questions how humane it is. I am not.opposed to e collars. They are just the sign of a lazy dog owner.

well if it makes a border line nutty dog into an obedient dog then unlike the old days it would get to live out it's life instead of getting culled (history always looks better when you cherry pick facts)

i guess marlo you have never hunted a high pray drive dog!if i didn't have an e collar on my lab, when a bird gets back up and heads for dodge there would be no stopping him.in my home i need to wrap the buckles in towels for fear of them making any noise,if noise is heard by two labs they come unglued with excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowethelazydog View Post
    Why guys, however did we train hunting dogs before we could electricute them. You idiots. No one doubts it is effective, the SPCA questions how humane it is. I am not.opposed to e collars. They are just the sign of a lazy dog owner.
    Out walking the dogs last night and ran into a lady with a big, mixed breed dog.
    It was 6 months old, stone deaf.
    She is using an E collar on vibrate to "communicate" with the dog.
    I'd say that's not only humane, it's the sign of a caring dog owner.
    I'm not pro or anti E collars but they have their legitimate uses.

Are we also lazy because we use cell phones? How did we communicate before them? How about automobiles? Are we lazy because we don't use horses for transportation anymore?

Might want to think about it a bit before you call people idiots.....or at least look in the mirror when you say it.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

E collars are great tools, Sure they can be abusive if you are sadistic or want to ruin your dog. It is not so much a punisher as it is a reminder that the boss does not need a rope attached to your training collar to enforce discipline at a distance. Most dogs only need the device set on vibrate or on such a low power that I can not feel it or can only barely feel it on my arm. The collar does not have to be on tight for the prods to make contact with the skin. If the collar is put on too tight the prods can wear a raw spot in the dog's hide which will produce a somewhat stronger shock even on low power.

Actually it makes a good communication device between the hunter and the pup. I put an e-collar on my airdale when predator hunting. While walking in to a stand to call from I let the dog run and if he gets too far away I can just tap the buzer and he will stop to check where I am going and start working back towards me. Once the calling starts he stays relatively close snuffing around acting as a visual attractant for the canines we are calling. If the called canine hangs up at a distance the dog will generally run towards the callee. Generally the callee will then turn away with Isaiah following. After a minute or so of chase I can either give a series of buzzes of the vibrator or sit on the buzzer for a couple of seconds and Isaiah will leave the chase and return to me. Most commonly the coyote(s) is/are following right along behind having forgotten why it was suspicious and would not come on in when it first approached the call.

The dogs even learn situational awareness with regards to the e-collar. I live in the country, but with neighbors close enough to be bothered by barking dogs. Mine spend much of the time on a second story patio surveying neighboring pastures and sloughs, all of which they claim dominion over. Nothing is allowed to pass through or over their domain without verbal chastisement. All I have to do is put the collar on and the barking stops unless the intruder enters the curtilage. I do not think I ever even shocked them to train them, As I remember all it took was hitting the buzzer for a few seconds before dishing out strong verbal chastisement a few times.
    Buzzzzzzzzer= PISSED OFF boss better be quite or
    buz = look for boss or
    buzz buzz buzz = come home and let boss shoot coyote so I can get in some prime coyote chewing

[QUOTE MARLOWETHELAZYDOG=Why guys, however did we train hunting dogs before we could electricute them. You idiots. No one doubts it is effective, the SPCA questions how humane it is. I am not.opposed to e collars. They are just the sign of a lazy dog owner..[/QUOTE]

Mister Lazydog, you obviously have no concept of proper training collar use with an uneducated comment like that. There are many advantages to their use and electrocution is not one of them. Perhaps when you have gone out and educated your self in the proper conditioning and use of a training collar you will be able to comment more intelligently on the subject. Until then perhaps you would be best served by keeping your comments to your self as they do nothing to bolster others opinion of your knowledge.
    Last edited by FirePower; 03-18-2016 at 11:37 AM.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

What complete horseshit
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009