Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The demise of "E" collars in B.C.

Re: The demise of "E" collars in B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    while in England about 12 years ago we visited this tiny little pub in a heritage village called Lacock ....when in the pub we noticed that the fireplace there had a huge spit with gears and a shaft that went through the side...I wondered to myself if they somehow were using the draft from the fire to turn the spit/rotisserie....it wasn't until we were leaving that I noticed the answer to how the spit was turned....it was a 3 foot diameter hamster run with a drawing of a short legged dog and a little sign with writing on it.....it talked about an breed of dog called the "turn-spit" that was breed specifically for running in the cage all day turning a side of beef or a pig or two...they were replaced by machines and are now extinct....I hope that doesn't ever ever ever happen to pointers or retrievers
    Not extinct Mr. Wideopenthrottle, but no longer bred for their intended purpose. Here are some photos of different Turnspit Dogges being bred by fanciers of the breed in the British Isles

"Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    When I am getting my stuff ready to go for a hunt ,The last thing I let my Lab see is her collar other wise everyone in the house know we are going ! She screams with excitement like nothing you've ever heard and runs around the house non stop till I open the door. She has even gone as far as to bring it to the door, charger and all !
    Ya, should probably outlaw them for sure !
    LOL that's funny right there! Your right, when my lab now is getting his collar on it does't matter whether he just going for walkies or training it's the best day ever. And thats just what these people that are against HUNTING DOG'S don't get! Is the poor dog has been bread to do what they do fore at least 200 years! And they do it so well. What I think is appropriate to tell these folks is if their not a VEGAN, is to shut the "F" UP! BEcause I don't have someone else murder my food for me! And if you can't appropriate watching a lab hunting up a pheasant and trailing it for 200 yds. and then putting it up in front of you, then you better be a vegan! About the only time my dog's collar is on is when he is close to roads and I know I have to have control over him so he doesn't get run over or hit by a car because I don't think I could live with something like that happening. Because when he's hunting he's hunting and the road is not a barrier to him.

My 18 month Golden will actually rear up on her hinds and stick her head through the collar if I am to slow putting it on her. Collar= Fun.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

When I pick up the collars my dogs go nuts. They know we are headed out and run to the door in anticipation. I open the door and they run to the gate.I open the gate and they run to the truck. I open the tailgate and they jump in. They know when I have the collars in hand fun follows.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

Quote Originally Posted by FirePower View Post
    Not extinct Mr. Wideopenthrottle, but no longer bred for their intended purpose. Here are some photos of different Turnspit Dogges being bred by fanciers of the breed in the British Isles

well that is cool but the sign said they were gone...sorry for not fact checking better but in wiki it also says they are extinct https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnspit_Dog

Mr. Wideopenthrottle, no need to be sorry at all sir. I did not post to prove you wrong just as a point of interest, I suppose when you consider they do not "turn spits" any longer they are indeed extinct in a manner of speaking. From what I understand they were never a true breed just mixed breed dogs bred for form of function. Your original post got me interested and I contacted dog people in England and Ireland who put me on to the information.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

My pup is now 3 mos old. He will be getting an E Collar for the finishing touches in his training. Will be my first time using one and have spent months researching.

Me too! What model are you looking at?

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

Quote Originally Posted by 6eagle View Post
    Me too! What model are you looking at?

A nine volt battery hooked up to a big capacitor with a couple of copper wire leads.

Just kidding of course. The bad people who let him up on the couch get that treatment.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

Ha! Awesome.
    Guess i'm getting zapped!