Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The demise of "E" collars in B.C.

The demise of "E" collars in B.C.

There's a article in the Vancouver Province Paper today with some quote's from the B.C. SPCA and others that they want E collars abolished from B.C. because their mean and inhumane and according to some doctor at the SPCA "The article doesn't state whether the doctor was a VET or not" E collars create all kinds of anguish and stress when they are being used on dogs for training purposes and as for using a bark collar on dogs just shouldn't be done. According to this doctor you should just reinforce good behavior to help stop the dog from barking it's fool head off! These people at the B.C. SPCA should of seen my old BL.Lab boy when he got his E collar on, he was just about wiggling out of his skin with excitement because he knew when he had to ware his collar something good was going to happen, like hunting up a bird or fetching up a bird or bumper. He didn't care it was just the best day ever. As far as a bark collar goes,god did he needed one . When he was riding in the back of my truck in his crate he needed his bark collar. You couldn't hear the radio for BOB BARKER going at it when he didn't have his bark collar on, and it was mournful. But when he had it on you could of swore there was a church mouse in the back of the truck. I didn't even have to turn it on anymore the last 6-7 years of his life, because he had been conditioned to the bark collar properly the same as his E Collar by a professional trainer that knew what they were doing. It just drives me crazy when the SPCA gets on something like this that they know nothing about.

2. Site Sponsor

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: The demise of "E" collars in B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    There's a article in the Vancouver Province Paper today with some quote's from the B.C. SPCA and others that they want E collars abolished from B.C. because their mean and inhumane and according to some doctor at the SPCA "The article doesn't state whether the doctor was a VET or not" E collars create all kinds of anguish and stress when they are being used on dogs for training purposes and as for using a bark collar on dogs just shouldn't be done. According to this doctor you should just reinforce good behavior to help stop the dog from barking it's fool head off! These people at the B.C. SPCA should of seen my old BL.Lab boy when he got his E collar on, he was just about wiggling out of his skin with excitement because he knew when he had to ware his collar something good was going to happen, like hunting up a bird or fetching up a bird or bumper. He didn't care it was just the best day ever. As far as a bark collar goes,god did he needed one . When he was riding in the back of my truck in his crate he needed his bark collar. You couldn't hear the radio for BOB BARKER going at it when he didn't have his bark collar on, and it was mournful. But when he had it on you could of swore there was a church mouse in the back of the truck. I didn't even have to turn it on anymore the last 6-7 years of his life, because he had been conditioned to the bark collar properly the same as his E Collar by a professional trainer that knew what they were doing. It just drives me crazy when the SPCA gets on something like this that they know nothing about.
    I totally agree with you.
    The big rambunctious choc lab I got when it was 1 yr old had no discipline or training whatsoever.
    At 90 lbs, and being 'intact' at the time he was an uncontrollable handful. I've had a bit of former
    training experience but I still asked for help from pros, including on forums. After getting tips on
    the proper use of both collars, it didn't take very long at all for this dog to understand what his
    perimeters were, and what was expected of him. He's just turned 4, and I haven't used the E-collar
    on him for at least 2 years. The bark collar is still used, but very seldom turned on, yet he knows to
    be quiet anyway. I always tested both units on me before putting them on my dog to insure the
    setting wasn't too high to harm or unduly stress him. He's turned out to be a fantastic, happy, eager,
    and loving companion as well as a great retriever. Properly used during the only times they're
    actually needed is far more humane than how most of the former pros trained their dogs. I have several
    professional agility dog trainers that have used E-collars, and regularly use bark collars during events,
    and without exception, especially considering most of their dogs are highly sensitive border collies, their
    dogs are full of excitement and thoroughly enjoy their life with their owners, the competition, and being
    able to meet people. They sure don't show any evidence of stress related to the collars.

More know nothing do-gooders shooting their mouths off about things they don't have a clue about this was brought up in the House of Commons a year or so ago but the NDP. It died an appropriate death.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I am new to e collars and realized how helpful they are for training. I wouldn't hunt a dog without one. The funny thing is you can use a collar and get a response from the dog at a level that I can't even feel in my fingers. If I can't feel it I would hardly consider it inhumane

My dog knows it's off leash time, but he probably knows that before, as we are driving into the boonies. I've only had to zap him maybe 6 times ever, he's pretty well behaved out there, it's just in case he catches a scent because at that moment he's a one track minded hunter.

This comes in line with the new private members bill 246 in the parliament that is being read about animal welfare.
    Some of the basics of that bill are ok, but it leaves a lot of room for interpretation.
    Some of these new MPs are PETA and their assault is intensifying.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Remember- the BCSPCA opposes using dogs for any form of hunting...including retrieving. Imagine making a retriever retrieve. Oh the horror.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Remember- the BCSPCA opposes using dogs for any form of hunting...including retrieving. Imagine making a retriever retrieve. Oh the horror.
    Yes, I agree, some of these people, and organizations run by them, are completely living in a fantasy world.
    My various retrievers over the years have lived only to please and to retrieve, especially any and all birds.
    They get so excited with the anticipation of retrieving they can barely contain themselves. Just watch a lab
    launch itself as far as it can into the water, and then make a rooster tail wake as it eagerly swims as fast as
    it can to get a bird, and then tell me they aren't enjoying themselves. If they were being abused they wouldn't
    want to do it.

When I am getting my stuff ready to go for a hunt ,The last thing I let my Lab see is her collar other wise everyone in the house know we are going ! She screams with excitement like nothing you've ever heard and runs around the house non stop till I open the door. She has even gone as far as to bring it to the door, charger and all !
    Ya, should probably outlaw them for sure !

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    while in England about 12 years ago we visited this tiny little pub in a heritage village called Lacock ....when in the pub we noticed that the fireplace there had a huge spit with gears and a shaft that went through the side...I wondered to myself if they somehow were using the draft from the fire to turn the spit/rotisserie....it wasn't until we were leaving that I noticed the answer to how the spit was turned....it was a 3 foot diameter hamster run with a drawing of a short legged dog and a little sign with writing on it.....it talked about an breed of dog called the "turn-spit" that was breed specifically for running in the cage all day turning a side of beef or a pig or two...they were replaced by machines and are now extinct....I hope that doesn't ever ever ever happen to pointers or retreivers