Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Site "C"

Pemby_mess Guest

Re: Site "C"

Last year my farm bill average was $300/month. Keep in mind that included a incubator running full time, trough heater and some heat lamps. This we we cut all that out and the bill so far is averaging $317/month. That's just for a pull barn with nothing running in it not including my house. Called hydro and the tell me my use is up from last year. Go figure. I can't even argue with them because I have no way of proving it just the same as they have no way of proving my use
    yeah BC hydro has us listed as a farm too. Our consumption goes up, then stays stubbornly pegged no matter what we turn off.

I know a lady that's paying 100bucks a month for her well shack meter.

The "service" reps at hydro have a list of boiler plate excuses that they literally read off their screens while they're on the phone with you. Nobody has ever been interested in coming out to see what the problem is.

You can prove it though, put an old mechanical meter in series to the electronic one. If there's no load in between, they should match. Hint; they won't. Whether you can end up anything about the discrepancy remains to be seen.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    Once built, it's all automated. Roughly 6 full time jobs.
    I think the jobs forecasts are taking into account the LNG industry that the damn will enable to be spun off. But the fact remains virtually the same there; highly automated and vulnerable to further automation nearly instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    Sounds to to me like you're paying too little. 100 bucks a month? And you say you heat with electric? Not bloody likely. If I were you, I'd count my blessings and keep my mouth shut about it. That's like 860 kWh a month - 25 a day.

It sounds like we use a lot less than you, but hydro is telling us we're cooking through 110kwh a day up, from an average of 70kwh per day last year. That includes our vacation time where we shut down the house. Mechanical meter says 16kwh -23kwh per day, and 6 when we were out of town.

my father in law rises and sets with the sun, eats cold food, makes rice every two days, washes all his dishes buy hand, and dries his laundry out by the airtight stove,.........lol. He's the most energy efficient man I've ever met - but hydro is saying he's an abuser - 4000kwh per month lol.

Through gh a few years of dealing with this, I've figured out the problem if you're interested. But it's the kind of thing people seem to shrug off if it's not affecting them.
    We run a jacuzzi 24..7..heater..plus 4 vehicle heaters ..just 1 load laundry day, lights, heat is natural gas fans are electric..gas hwt..however being high efficiency. .it too has a fan now.
    Our bills are the same for years..both LNG. .and hydro...something really wrong with your bills..unless 300 kms in bush and getting charged different rates? Or hydro pole use just for his residence?
    Our bill seems to be our use age. .the numbers you give seem excessive to me.
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    We run a jacuzzi 24..7..heater..plus 4 vehicle heaters ..just 1 load laundry day, lights, heat is natural gas fans are electric..gas hwt..however being high efficiency. .it too has a fan now.
    Our bills are the same for years..both LNG. .and hydro...something really wrong with your bills..unless 300 kms in bush and getting charged different rates? Or hydro pole use just for his residence?
    Our bill seems to be our use age. .the numbers you give seem excessive to me.
    Srupp
    Maybe yours are low. I think I might have hydro give you a call.

Only billing/usage issue I've experinced was a few months before smartmeter installation. The contract meter reading individual misread the mechanical meter. Took a few months to get it sorted. Old mechanical in series with smart meter? I picked up an Eagle Rainforest energy monitor that allows me to see real time usage on PC or smart phone.
    Also plug in monitors available to see usage at any receptacle. Smartmeter works for me, Site C does not.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-15-2017 at 07:32 AM.

Did that meter say "Rainforest"? Well then it cant be right. Its just making shit up as usual.
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

Few more things to think about.

1.) Canada has one of the lowest electric cars per capita in the entire world! I think I heard on the radio around 0.6 %. There are no policies or incentives from the federal government even promoting electric vehicles. Running electric cars is not likely an issue in the next 50 years, especially with BC hydro's "overestimate" of predicted power consumption.

2.) The Canadian government takes in $5 billion dollars a year in fuel taxes. You think they are going to let that kind of revenue disappear without subsidizing it?

3.) What about the batteries that come with electric cars? In order to make them and produce them, we need to extract metals and materials, thus causing a further demand on limited resources. What's worse, the carbon dioxide produced by today's vehicles or the physical stockpiling of used car batteries that cannot be fully broken down and reused?

We will NEVER personally see a benefit from this dam. But we sure as hell are going to be paying for it. Easily the biggest boondoggle I will probably ever witness in my time. It makes the fast ferry fiasco look like a book keeping error.

The part that pulls at me more than anything is that we are forever losing wildlife habitat and that does not seem to really matter to those making the decisions. If BC hydro were to put a respectable amount of funding back into fish and wildlife as long as that dam is functional, it would be easier for me to accept, but based on their track record, I am not holding my breath.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Few more things to think about.

1.) Canada has one of the lowest electric cars per capita in the entire world! I think I heard on the radio around 0.6 %. There are no policies or incentives from the federal government even promoting electric vehicles. Running electric cars is not likely an issue in the next 50 years, especially with BC hydro's "overestimate" of predicted power consumption.

2.) The Canadian government takes in $5 billion dollars a year in fuel taxes. You think they are going to let that kind of revenue disappear without subsidizing it?

3.) What about the batteries that come with electric cars? In order to make them and produce them, we need to extract metals and materials, thus causing a further demand on limited resources. What's worse, the carbon dioxide produced by today's vehicles or the physical stockpiling of used car batteries that cannot be fully broken down and reused?

We will NEVER personally see a benefit from this dam. But we sure as hell are going to be paying for it. Easily the biggest boondoggle I will probably ever witness in my time. It makes the fast ferry fiasco look like a book keeping error.

The part that pulls at me more than anything is that we are forever losing wildlife habitat and that does not seem to really matter to those making the decisions. If BC hydro were to put a respectable amount of funding back into fish and wildlife as long as that dam is functional, it would be easier for me to accept, but based on their track record, I am not holding my breath.
    Very well said. Exactly how I feel. One addition is that that habitat will be lost forever, as far as the human race and current species utilizing it are concerned. In the "States" they are removing dams to rectify some of their errors.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Hydrogen....that's where it's going to be at....one day.
    Electric cars...good concept, but those batteries are going to be more damaging to environment then fossil fuels
    ever were.
    Plus, filling up with hydrogen, at the pump, just like you do with gas right now, in minutes....not hours.
    And, because of that, I can see the Oil Companies/World Monopoly, wanting to have that as their replacement to
    oil.....they just be extorting us when it comes to the price of hydrogen instead.
    Now, all that is needed, is to get the costs down in actually producing those engines cheaper...
    Platinum Rods is always going to make it unaffordable as a solution until they come up with cheaper materials.
    But one day.....
    AS for getting Hydro to pay for "Habitat Enhancement" as a cost of doing business.....for sure!
    Just don't forget....it will be "US, the consumer" who will really pay for that "Enhancement Fund"...it will
    just be incorporated into you bill.
    But hey, atleast everyone in BC will pay towards that, not just the hunting community...and so it should be.

I've read several members saying that the habitat will be lost forever. While I don't agree with the continued building of the project, these beliefs are incorrect. It is one project that can be easily undone in a lifetime, unlike mining or oil extraction. There is hope, and I believe one day there will be technology available that will make dams such as this archaic and no longer necessary, that will be available long before this project is paid for, if that ever happens, and ends up being a boondoggle of epic proportions.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.