Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Site "C"

Pemby_mess Guest

Re: Site "C"

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    There may have been people who felt this way when WAC Bennett built the power system we benefit from today with exceptionally low electricity rates compared to the rest of North America.

Thankfully, we moved forward and did the right thing back then, too.
    captains that fail to heed the forecast, are going to end up sinking their ships;

[QUOTE=mpotzold;1961593]
    John Horgan, our premier proudly held up a “Site C sucks” sign when he visited the Peace Valley prior to the last election.

PROOF

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

You do notice where Horgan is standing, tells it all.

Pemby_mess Guest

A year ago, in an other Site C thread, I predicted Costco was going to be selling pallets of solar panels direct to the consumer in less than 10 years. This, thereby creating economies of scale, enabling widespread adoption of point of use renewable power generation.

Well here comes IKEA:

Last edited by Pemby_mess; 12-23-2017 at 01:24 PM.

The large hydro project business model is at the end of its lifespan.

Just did did some travelling in Ontario. Solar panels all over the place. Definitely reached the tipping point in that province. Hydro is too costly from Ontario hydro. Forward thinkers are putting up panels, those that don’t will just see their bills increase as more and more leave the grid. Can’t win for loosing. Someone has to pay the bills.

If bc hydro doesn’t get it through they’re thick heads it’s not the 1950’s anymore it will be a poop show. Bennett was right on the money at the time he did his thing. Times are, maybe already have changed.

If you compare how things are going on large projects of this nature in Canada, the cost will be between 16 to 20 billion. Same engineering firms, contractors, and foreign contractors involved in site c that have run up the bills on other projects. Taking a 4 billion kick in the pants now, will be nothing compared to what it costs me, my children and my grand kids.

I would love to hear from someone that can prove to me site c is somehow different, and won’t be a poop show.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck77 View Post
    The large hydro project business model is at the end of its lifespan.

Just did did some travelling in Ontario. Solar panels all over the place. Definitely reached the tipping point in that province. Hydro is too costly from Ontario hydro. Forward thinkers are putting up panels, those that don’t will just see their bills increase as more and more leave the grid. Can’t win for loosing. Someone has to pay the bills.

If bc hydro doesn’t get it through they’re thick heads it’s not the 1950’s anymore it will be a poop show. Bennett was right on the money at the time he did his thing. Times are, maybe already have changed.

If you compare how things are going on large projects of this nature in Canada, the cost will be between 16 to 20 billion. Same engineering firms, contractors, and foreign contractors involved in site c that have run up the bills on other projects. Taking a 4 billion kick in the pants now, will be nothing compared to what it costs me, my children and my grand kids.

I would love to hear from someone that can prove to me site c is somehow different, and won’t be a poop show.
    If you want to pay 3 times what we pay in BC, move to Ontario and enjoy your solar panels.

Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Fisher,

i dont think you get what I'm saying. A large amount of people are moving off the grid in ON. Those left on, pay a larger part of the pie. Just saying this could happen in BC as well if we're not carefully with our public money. I don't believe Site C is a wise investment of public money.

What's your issue with solar panels? When they become affordable, they'll be going on my roof. The less I'm dependant on the grid the better.

Seems to me no matter what political party is in power, they have a knack for milking utilities in some way or fashion. The utilities being monopolies make poor decisions with impunity. Since they are deemed more or less essential services, when the government isn't milking them, they're bailing them out with the rate payer on the hook. We in BC also have the privilege of having our government with their fingers in the vehicle insurance pie. There's a disaster! I lived in Ontario before moving here and I recall a kerfuffle where the highly educated executives at Ontario Hydro decided to invest a large chunk of capital in the markets. It didn't go well and rate payers ended up paying for their misadventure. Appears they're still paying for that mistake today.

I've been on the fence with regard to investing in solar panels due to the initial cost & lengthy payback curve. As BC Hydro & the current government deal with the cost of Site C, I can see the move to solar becoming more attractive in short order. With increased competition in the solar panel industry, prices will continue to drop and payback on investment will become shorter and more attractive to the average schmoe. Had to be a tough call for the current government to not cancel Site C. At least they went through the motions of having an independent assessment done.

Are we as hunters not motivated towards being self sufficient as we venture forth to harvest wild meat? I'll be the 1st to admit that if I had to feed myself via hunting, I'd be starving in short order. However, when it comes to self sufficiency in energy, that's certainly on the radar these days. Not happy with what the government/utilities are up to? Produce your own electricity, whether it be solar, micro hydro, wind or a hybrid system using one or more of the aforementioned technologies. Screw the government/utility, regardless of political stripes or megaprojects. And next time there's an outage due to a wind or ice storm, you'll be golden without having to brave the crowds out trying to buy a generator at WalMart or Canadian Tire. If you're pissed or worried about your smart meter, there's another reason to be self sufficient.
    Last edited by mike31154; 12-23-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck77 View Post
    Fisher,

i dont think you get what I'm saying. A large amount of people are moving off the grid in ON. Those left on, pay a larger part of the pie. Just saying this could happen in BC as well if we're not carefully with our public money. I don't believe Site C is a wise investment of public money.

What's your issue with solar panels? When they become affordable, they'll be going on my roof. The less I'm dependant on the grid the better.
    Is the mining of the materials required to build solar panels better or worse than a fishing lake behind a hydro dam?

Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

So this mine exists solely to extract material for solar panels??