Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Site "C"

Re: Site "C"

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    I wonder what the argument for the dam would be if it hadn't been started until after the BCUC report? Crusty and her crew knew what the report would say which is why they didn't include it in the original estimate "before" things got underway. Now, the only argument the pro-dam people really have is, "we can't stop now". If things had been looked at properly from the beginning, the dam wouldn't be built. A flash of jobs for a few years and then on to the next mega project so some a-hat politician can point and say "look how many jobs we've created". Take out the current "paid" costs already for the dam, and the pro-dam side wouldn't have an argument. Period. We were lied to by the Libs in order to push this thing through and no one seems to recognize that.
    Methinks you have nailed it.
    Chrissy with her "jobs for votes" promises.
    Well said.

Superior alternatives to the risky & costly site C. There is still time!
    New for BC- coal-fired power stations &/or more natural gas-fired power stations including re-opening of Burrard Thermal should be considered in the near future if needed.

Site C
    (if built?)would provide 1,100 megawatts (MW) of capacity, and produce about 5,100 gigawatt hours (GWh) of electricity each year – enough energy to power the equivalent of about 450,000 homes per year in B.C.

Calculation-re:5100GWh
    The average household in BC Hydro’s service area uses about 11,000 kWh per year
    1 GWh = 1,000,000.00 kWh
    5,100 GWh=5100,000,000 kWh ÷11,000=463,636 households
    Also 5,100 GWh is enough for about a dozen industrial complexes or 1000 20 to25 storey buildings.

Read that the 950 MW natural gas-fired Burrard Generating Station near Vancouver had a capability of 7,050 GWh per year (considerably more than Site C)

Other major benefit is the CO2 released
    Burning fossil fuels should be encouraged as long as the pollutants created are controlled. CO2 is not a pollutant & is essential for plant growth. The more the better.
    Today’s CO2 is 406 ppm.
    For optimal plant growth it should be well over a thousand ppm. When dinosaurs roamed the CO2 level was at least 5x higher.

Clean Coal
    IER- Coal-fired electricity generation is far cleaner today than ever before..Since 1970, the six so-called criteria pollutants have declined significantly, even though the generation of electricity from coal-fired plants has increased by over 180 percent. (The “criteria pollutants” are carbon monoxide, lead, sulfur dioxide [SO2], nitrogen oxides [NOx], ground-level ozone, and particulate matter [PM].
    Ash produced in coal combustion is collected using electrostatic precipitators. It is sold for use as a concrete additive.

Other notes
    -2/3 of the world’s electricity is still produced by burning fossil fuels.

-WUWT-EPA document supports only ~3% of atmospheric CO2 is attributable to human sources

-US-Coal plants are the nation's top source of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions,

-Another reason why the dam must be stopped
    https://watershedsentinel.ca/articles/site-c-slides/
    Teton Dam also constructed in a sedimentary basin collapses!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6NAjrIjf3U
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Wow..pee away 4 billion $$$$..nothing in return..
    Clean burning coal ? really..in Vancouver...ha ha ha
    Hmmmmmmm. ..use the billions for site C..get some value..probably more than most suspect..energy will never go to waste..
    My .02
    Steven

If i heard right they say in radio,,,,if not site C.... HYDRO BILL needs 10% hike coming year.....willing to pay??

Wasn't the recent an ounce mentioned. .on time..on budget?
    So if site C is scrapped our taxes go up 10 %

Or are you implying if site C goes ahead our taxes head up 10 % ?
    Steven

Pretty sure I read that if it gets cancelled our hydro rates will need to immediately increase by 10%. Instead of financing the cost of the completed project over decades they will have to pay for the remediation and other expenses out of the hydro operating budget which has strict limits on terms of repayment.

As to the tax increase confusion we have an NDP provincial government and a Liberal federal government. Taxes are most definitely going up.
    Merry Christmas.

Lol, doesn’t anyone have a mindset of building for the future? Like our fore fathers? Today we build for yesterday and sit and whine and ......
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Lol, doesn’t anyone have a mindset of building for the future? Like our fore fathers? Today we build for yesterday and sit and whine and ......
    Why build for a future we won't inherit?

Former generations built for their children, for a country to be proud of and people they cared for. Modern Canadians build for Indians and Immigrants and apologize for being privileged should they come out ahead. We don't save for posterity, we save so the government can tax us back to poverty. Modern men are accursed as Sisyphus, always striving but never prevailing. Equally, why bother conserving a healthy environment that will only be pillaged by Chinese Communists. They're already here, and will soon expand operations until BC looks like home. Either way our efforts are futile.

The Titanic is sinking; no need to polish brass. Raid the liquor cabinet instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Hydro rates will increase regardless of whether or not Site C is built. Taxes will increase regardless of whether or not Site C is built. When projects like this are undertaken, it is the equivalent of stirring the pot of money while those with access to the pot try to scoop out all they can. The rest of us are like remorae; along for the ride and hoping to pick up some crumbs. Of course, at the same time, money is taken from us and thrown back into the pot. If I was a construction worker in the area, I wouldn't care whether I was getting paid to build the dam or to repair the damage which has been done; either way, I'd be getting paid.
    If BC Hydro's power production capacity were to suddenly double, how many here believe hydro rates would drop? If Hydro was able to sell this excess power at a premium, would the stance of BC Hydro be, "lets give the BC ratepayer a break" or would it be, "BC ratepayers should be paying the same as international purchasers"? I don't believe altruism is a big part of BC Hydro's corporate mentality nor is it a big part of government mentality. GD

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Problem is too many people in BC that moved here from somewhere else don't get this or understand our heritage. They just want to pull up the draw bridge and bitch about everything and spend not a penny more than they have to. Plus, they're the vocal ones.
    Last edited by Salty; 11-25-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this