Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Site "C"

Re: Site c....

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    Regardless of where one sits on the political spectrum, with the exponential increase in population, paralleled by the increase in demand for power/energy, decisions have to be made as to where power and energy comes from.
    Whatever the source of power and energy, there is a cost....especially from an "environmental" standpoint.

Hydro, solar, fossil fuel, wind power, tidal...they all come with a cost.

Hydro still currently serves as the cleanest, most reliable, and most cost effective source of electricity.
    Bingo, Scouts got it figured out, where's all the power gonna come from for all the electric cars? As much as I hate this project I've come to realize it has to move forward. But now that the Dippers are at the helm I'll bet it'll be at least 5 Billion over budget! K

Re: Site "C"

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    Doesn't sound like that's been happening, or there is too much faith in it occurring. Quote from the most recent fed media blast below. The only hope there is of stopping it now is aboriginal road blocks of all forms. Short of that, there will be compensation, I doubt much of it will be directed at wildlife and habitat compensation though.

"Fish and Wildlife Compensation Programs, (FWCP) continue to be an issue for the BC Wildlife Federation.

The mandate of the compensation programs to address fish and wildlife losses appears to be diluted in terms of larger cumulative effects in the Columbia and Peace Basins. These FWCP programs have lost their way—they are supposed to restore fish and wildlife habitat and populations impacted by hydro developments. Instead funds are being spent on non-impacted resources and funds are being used to promote BC Hydro’s image. "
    Compensation programs? You mean like closing tracts of land to hunting for everyone but FNS? I heard it was quite an issue up in the peace when the idea was first floated.

IIRC, moose seasons have already been shortened to compensate aboriginals, and there was a fear that there was no longer going to be access to the Halfway river valley once complete. A new road would have to be build through band land which is the big stumbling block. Again, if I remember correctly..... Considering historic habitat compensation, in addition to resident hunter compensation, I have a feeling we will be getting the turbine shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Compensation programs? You mean like closing tracts of land to hunting for everyone but FNS? I heard it was quite an issue up in the peace when the idea was first floated.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Maybe that other AZZEHAT DR Andrew Weaver can HELP I see he does not come on the HBC site anymore ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Maybe that other AZZEHAT DR Andrew Weaver can HELP I see he does not come on the HBC site anymore ! RJ
    Why would he ???? With the warm welcome he got from a few HBC members! We could have had an alli but some ****ed it up for all as usual

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Why would he ???? With the warm welcome he got from a few HBC members! We could have had an alli but some ****ed it up for all as usual
    He deserves every ounce of disrespect he got here and far more. He never gave two licks about hunters and was only here, and at the legislature rally, to score political points and infact the asinine bill to require foreigners to remove grizzly meat to their home countries that he cooked up with the BCWF totally ****ed up the only real chance we had to head off the grizzly hunting ban. He is just another slimy politician and anyone that thinks he is on our side needs to open their eyes!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Not to try and dog pile on Spy, but there is some truth here. To many, working within politics is a popularity contest, and Mr. Weaver said and did a few things that persuaded some resident hunters to cast a vote in the Green direction. They were not fools or idiots as some people like to think of anyone who didn't vote Liberal, like most voters, they just hoped for the best based on the campaign of individual candidates and parties. I hoped that Site C was going to be shelved, and the NDP would come to that conclusion once all of the reports came in, and consultations finished. Was it a ploy by the party to gain votes knowing full well that the project was going to continue? Maybe, maybe not, but at least there was hope.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    He deserves every ounce of disrespect he got here and far more. He never gave two licks about hunters and was only here, and at the legislature rally, to score political points and infact the asinine bill to require foreigners to remove grizzly meat to their home countries that he cooked up with the BCWF totally ****ed up the only real chance we had to head off the grizzly hunting ban. He is just another slimy politician and anyone that thinks he is on our side needs to open their eyes!
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    Thats your opinion and you are welcome to it..... I think we could have groomed him instead of running him off.. Even if he did turn out to be our enemy at least we would have had him close... Anyway now he thinks of hunters as asshats as BBD left a lasting redneck impression on him. Im sure he will be voting against anything hunters want.. But hey he deserved it lol we are our own worst enemies and so short sighted...

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    As of today you ain't going to stop the site C unless there is some kind of a catastrophe.

The NDP deserve to be booted out ASAP especially after promising to cancel the dam if elected. It definitely gave them more than a few seats.

Actually no such promise was made

the platform stated the BCUC was to look at the project ...
    Close minded BC lib supporters and radical anti-industry people put the words “I promise” in his mouth
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    With the demand for electricity rising every day and forever ... there was really no other choice than to approve Site C. Even better is it pissed off so many NDP..
    The latter is an incredibly poor reason to support or oppose a project. The merits, or lack thereof, need to be considered before politics.