Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Site "C"

Re: Site "C"

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Imagine what the price for hydro would be if BC providers were no longer mandated to buy IPP power at exorbitant prices.
    when I was a recent grad from forestry my first winter job was working for Ont Hydro on a line clearing crew (mostly chainsaw work)...when doing the indoc training, they told us about how even though there was hundreds of millions in the bank hydro rates still need to be increased...the reason for it was to discourage the use of electricity so that the demand would not outstrip their ability to build new generating capabilities.....

At my work, we have cogeneration (we generate about 1/2 our own power) and our contract with hydro introduces penalties if we do not keep our cogenerators running enough.....so if we buy more power than we say we will need, we pay an extra penalty...

Normal supply and demand dynamics do not apply....crazy

rates still need to be increased...the reason for it was to discourage the use of electricity
    Like the justification for higher taxes on smokes and liquor. weird economics
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    I read that article, they were very careful not to mention how much the investment costed. Poor journalism.

I would have loved to see that questions got asked: "and how much was the investment?" "about $XXX,XXX" "and how long with that take to pay back?" "30+ years" " so really, this is just a 'feel fuzzy inside' project?" "Well, we don't teach economics to kids anymore, just how to be emotional about everything"
    States that for the two schools Skaha and Pen High project cost was $500,000. It will be a lesson all right
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    States that for the two schools Skaha and Pen High project cost was $500,000. It will be a lesson all right
    Yeah, $500,000 is approximately 5.7 million kWh worth of grid power! The original article did not have the figure, it must have been edited. Glad to know it was subsidized by taxpayers too, we all made the investment!

Pemby_mess Guest

I read that article, they were very careful not to mention how much the investment costed. Poor journalism.

I would have loved to see that questions got asked: "and how much was the investment?" "about $XXX,XXX" "and how long with that take to pay back?" "30+ years" " so really, this is just a 'feel fuzzy inside' project?" "Well, we don't teach economics to kids anymore, just how to be emotional about everything"
    The article gives you enough information to get the approximate total value of each respective project. It doesn't give you enough information to determine the structure of the investment or whether it's a good deal vs other alternatives, where the capital comes from, or things of that nature. but for the basic questions you're asking, if the stated variables are close to being accurate, the article is structured like a grade 3 math problem;

penticton high: 300k
    skaha high: 200k
    respectively

if the costs break down equally, and if they were paying hydro prices inline with retail residential and small business rates, they installed systems of approximately 100 kWh and 65kwh respectively, which is pretty consistent with the number of panels Penticton installed, and about 3 dollars per installed watt, which is realistic. So 20 year payback at current rates on the total investment. But like death and taxes, rates go up. So that'll come down and realized return will head up; plus it perhaps incentivizes everybody to find ways of conserving, which can tie into a whole host of overall education objectives for the project. So some of the money can be put in that column too I suppose.

However, I'd say the 3.8% asset return probably justifies itself, assuming it doesn't increase any liabilities elsewhere, like maintenance.

overall, seems like a good project, bravo!

Pemby_mess Guest

Yeah, $500,000 is approximately 5.7 million kWh worth of grid power! The original article did not have the figure, it must have been edited. Glad to know it was subsidized by taxpayers too, we all made the investment!
    5 million kWh ^

the million dollar question is what will grid power be worth 20 years from now? 20 years ago 500k got you 10million kWh. So if the same rate applies, they just bought 5 million kWh upfront. When they're done paying for it, it'll be worth 1 million dollars. But they keep getting power in perpetuity - I know it's hard to get your head around.

It must be really nice to buy an 'eco-friendly' solar panel, drive (or ride your bike for bonus points!) back to your house and plug it in and get, free, clean electricity. But it's not free. There's a lot of energy put into the production of these 'eco friendly' energy producers and the processes involved in manufacturing and resource extraction are anything but kind to the environment. But hey, as long as it's not happening in your backyard, and you don't see it, all is well!

It's the same argument with the anti-hunters who are happy to pick up a package of skinless-boneless chicken breast on their way home from work. Being remove from the process doesn't give you some sort of moral high ground, just ignorance.
    Exactly! I lived in Whistler for 20 years and during the Olympdicks they set up a whole system of hydrogen powered buses. “Look how green we are!” What you didn’t see was the 5 tanker trucks a week pulling hydrogen here from Quebec spewing diesel all the way here and back.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Exactly! I lived in Whistler for 20 years and during the Olympdicks they set up a whole system of hydrogen powered buses. “Look how green we are!” What you didn’t see was the 5 tanker trucks a week pulling hydrogen here from Quebec spewing diesel all the way here and back.
    That's funny because it's true

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Its worth noting that environmentalists opposed that project at the time for a number of reasons. One of which was the loss of wetlands critical to local waterfowl. It was the usual political boosters yelling "nimby" that ultimately backed Gordo's vanity project as part of the Olympic image

The buses don't even bloody work! Which was entirely foreseeable when the whole was first proposed. It's since left Whistler with a 22 million per year liability, for buses that serve no purpose. IMO it's a big part of what's lead to its the current transport infrastructure crunch in Whistler.

The buses were always a lot less about "green energy", than it was about feeding the egos of bought politicians. It was the result of a sit down between Arnie in California and Gordon Cambell. A sit down involving an out of hand, open, taxpayer funded bar tab, no doubt.

Renewable energy projects are no less prone to being fumbled, than are conventional ones. Try not to group every loony politician's brain farts into a single category. Just because a particular project has failed, doesn't mean a successful one with entirely different parameters shouldn't be celebrated.

Here there’s a wind farm going up in the Merritt area..

Perhaps the kids can go to school when ever the wind blows...
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..