Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Site "C"

Re: Site "C"

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    So this mine exists solely to extract material for solar panels??
    Most of the mines are in 3rd world countries where they extract rare earths.

The environmental protections in this places are pretty much non-existent.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

[QUOTE=mpotzold;1964977]
    Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post

John Horgan, our premier proudly held up a “Site C sucks” sign when he visited the Peace Valley prior to the last election.

PROOF

The Lieing sack of shit is on the end " SUCKS" lol RJ

My house is 100% solar powered, only way to go, never have an outage.

Pemby_mess Guest

Awesome! Give us some numbers!

I do know a few people that live off the grid and it works for them. Honestly wish I could. Not that I don't mind having power it's just that I hate how BC hydro has everyone by the short and curlies

Pemby_mess Guest

Sound familiar?

Ontario is taking its ratepayers to the cleaners:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle27560753/

[QUOTE]As a result, electricity prices for consumers and small businesses jumped by 70 per cent – from 5.32 cents per kilowatt hour to 9.06 cents – between 2006 and 2014, she found. The largest part of the reason for that is an increase to Global Adjustment Fees, which for the past decade have paid power-generating companies more than market price for their power as an incentive to set up in Ontario. Those fees amounted to $37-billion between 2006 and 2014, and are projected to add $133-billion from 2015 to 2032.[/QUOTE]

What's happened there, and what's happening here could have been off the same page in a manual titled "ripping off a public utility for dummies".

BC Hydro isn't the sole power supplier in BC, there is also FortisBC, just saying, they're not a monopoly, just the only crown corp.

Electricity consumption will only increase as time goes on, especially if we're all supposed to drive electric cars and everything becomes electrical and automated. Building projects like Site C will pay dividends later. Solar and other forms are part of the equation but nothing is a silver bullet.

It really sucks for those impacted by Site C dam, and I can see their point of view. Much like the thousands of folks who were displaced when the Columbia river dam project was put in, for some it's a raw deal.

But, the electrical devices we're all typing on here do not run on, or are made of, unicorn farts and rainbows. It must be really nice to buy an 'eco-friendly' solar panel, drive (or ride your bike for bonus points!) back to your house and plug it in and get, free, clean electricity. But it's not free. There's a lot of energy put into the production of these 'eco friendly' energy producers and the processes involved in manufacturing and resource extraction are anything but kind to the environment. But hey, as long as it's not happening in your backyard, and you don't see it, all is well!

It's the same argument with the anti-hunters who are happy to pick up a package of skinless-boneless chicken breast on their way home from work. Being remove from the process doesn't give you some sort of moral high ground, just ignorance.
    Last edited by kootenaihunter; 04-18-2018 at 12:10 PM.

School covers the roof with solar panels and will generate 10% of required electricity and take 10 years to break even on 50% investment in total costs

globalnews.ca/news/4148724/penticton-school-goes-solar/
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    If you want to pay 3 times what we pay in BC, move to Ontario and enjoy your solar panels.
    Imagine what the price for hydro would be if BC providers were no longer mandated to buy IPP power at exorbitant prices.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    School covers the roof with solar panels and will generate 10% of required electricity and take 10 years to break even on 50% investment in total costs

globalnews.ca/news/4148724/penticton-school-goes-solar/
    I read that article, they were very careful not to mention how much the investment costed. Poor journalism.

I would have loved to see that questions got asked: "and how much was the investment?" "about $XXX,XXX" "and how long with that take to pay back?" "30+ years" " so really, this is just a 'feel fuzzy inside' project?" "Well, we don't teach economics to kids anymore, just how to be emotional about everything"