Thread: My Bullets will last for ever- A New Hunters Story-Part 2 of 3

My Bullets will last for ever- A New Hunters Story-Part 2 of 3

Part 2 of 3 – The Quest to Hunt

Well had to make it 3 parts - used too many words

Still waiting for my PAL and looking at pictures of my gun.
    I booked my challenge test for early August at the local sporting store and begun studying away, asked the wife if she wanted to take it with me, but she said, “she didn’t have time to study and would take it later”. Great I thought to myself, at least I will get that first!!! Well, there was a lot more to go thru than I thought there might be, but I should have clued in from studying the hunting regulations synopsis. Going into the test I was nervous, thought I was maybe 12 years old or something don’t know why as it was open book, but still a little tough, only got four wrong so I was awarded a PASS, and all the papers that went with it. Pretty happy with the challenge. I do remember some strange questions and thought there would be more questions on ID and hunting.

I was off to the races and maybe a little excited, got my licence the next day so that box was ticked, I did hold off on tags though, they did however give me this fantastic FOLD OUT MAP of the lower mainland which is mostly RED ?? for duck hunting, apparently you need a PHD in map reading to figure it out and a couple more licences/tags. I think it would be cheaper if they said you can only shoot ducks in a little area in Richmond during low tide. All joking aside it is a good map.

It is now almost the end of August and still no PAL, checked the website status again, I think the wording had changed to processing, or I was imaging it, either way I was losing hope. Anyway, so if I can’t get the gun may as well buy everything else, right. Went out gear and scope hunting I was original going to get a Diamondback VORTEX as I have been happy with their binoculars but ended up with a RITON 4-16 -44 with Parallax adj as it was on sale, scoping in the store it seemed just a good if not better IMO.

Was busy for a few weeks and it is now September, having been creeping the forum I had discovered a few people had the same issues with delays if not longer and their solution was to phone. My wife now had her PAL for months ☹. I had a plan I would set aside a whole morning and phone, I figured 2- 4 hrs on hold or being transferred and the only to get hung up on. So 8 am I phoned within less than a hour I had gotten through to a person, they asked for all my info which I excitedly gave them, explained I’m looking forward to hunting but need my PAL to go out. They said let me check and got put back on hold, I was hoping, praying not to get cut off or hear the line go dead, my phone battery die, or the cellular system go down. Well, a couple of minutes go by, and they get back on and tell me it looks like it is getting processed, but they still have to do more background checks and I should check back in a few weeks. I hang up and don’t know whether to be excited or worried about the background checks, what are they checking? I pay my taxes and tow the line what could be the issue… Another week and half go by, and I start thinking about phoning again, when I get a text from the wife informing me that my PAL came, apparently, she got tired of me asking everyday and opened the mail when it came in.

The gun that I had on hold since May along with the x bolt scope rings because apparently there are a multitude of different scope rings were ordered the next day, and they would mail it out to me all I had to do was wait. I can do that easy-peasy, what’s a couple more weeks. Finally, it was looking like good and the stars were lining up for me to get out to deer hunt this year!! Out I go to get my bullets with a BRAND-NEW SHINY PAL card.

In the meantime, I start to scope out areas on google and have try to figure out when and where I’m going and what I can go for , I think I have narrowed it down to a deer for my first try. It’s almost the end of September when the gun shows up and I have a fish trip planned for the first week of October, I only have a few days for a couple of weekends to hunt before the trip.
    It arrives in roughly a week via Canada Post, I open the package and feel like a kid a Christmas, the gun looks fantastic I stare at it in aww, way better than the pictures on the internet, but as I look back in the box I don’t see the scope rings, I stare at the empty box hoping they will materialize but nothing is there, I even pick up the box take out the Styrofoam and shake it upside down, NOTHING! I phone up the store and they apologize and say they will send it out, should be a few days. Well, a week goes by and another phone call another apology and nothing. I now must get going for my trip it will have to wait till I’m back.

It's now mid October and no scope rings, another call and they promise to expedite them at this point I give up on them and get a credit they said they will still send them,(still haven’t got them) I go out and get some other brand that fit weavers and get some rails that fit gun.
    Hoping to get out before the Oct 30th, I get the scope mounted and zeroed in the weekend before to 200 yards by firing a few tight grouped shots at a 96 yards with some Winchester X 150 grains. Why 96 yds well that is where I was able to put the target and where I was able to rest my gun safely. The Gun is loud and still gives a bit of a kick with Muzzle break I put on that picked that up too before I got my PAL. I’m all set !!

Cont'd part in part 3
    Last edited by FishandSticks; 11-14-2023 at 08:38 AM.

2. Site Sponsor