Thread: Broadhead and Fletching Combo

Broadhead and Fletching Combo

Just getting back into bow hunting. Ordered new arrows and a fletching jig. Need some advice of fletching. Shooting QAD Exodus fixed broadheads out of QAD HDX arrow rest. Wondering what fletching would work best for these broadheads and clearing the rest. Thinking of Blazers. Should I fletch 3 or 4, offset or helical?

I hear lots about Blazers but they are a bit tall in profile. Currently have them on my "practice" arrows and it seems that some are "just" hitting the top containment arm of the HDX rest (I installed adhesive felt on the bottom and top arm of the rest to keep noise down). So turning the nock slightly so the cock feather is offset might solve that problem...or not.

If fletching four vanes, I could have the vanes in an "X" orientation rather than "+" to ensure no contact with rest. Any problems with that?

Finally, if your advice is to fletch with four vanes, how would you identify the "up" side of the arrow when you nock it if using the "X" orientation for clearance?

I know there is a lot here. Appreciate any help.
    aka...THE MOOSE WHISPERER

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Broadhead and Fletching Combo

If you are getting contact just twist the nock. That is what I do... Same rest on my compound.

Why add an extra vane, just unnecessary weight and more for clearance problem.
    That rest is more or less similar to all other fall away rests. Looking at their photo illustrations one would not want any helical and they use a very short vane. You want the arrow to leave the bow without twisting or spiraling
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 02-28-2016 at 06:40 PM.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Don't do four vanes.

If you do have a clearance problem that can't be fixed by rotating the nock slightly then go with a little longer, lower vane. Tons to choose from. But many, many shooters are using Blasers with that rest. I am on one bow.

And if you already ordered your fletching jig, then offset or helical is already decided. Unless you ordered a straight [can be used for offset] and a helical clamp. What jig did you order?
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Bought a Blitzenberger with both right helical and straight clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by bc sportsman View Post
    Bought a Blitzenberger with both right helical and straight clamps.
    Bitz is the best. Slow but sure and very adjustable.

I use helical because that gives a better vane to shaft contact, especially on thin diameter shafts. Arizona E-Zee Fletch makes a fletcher specifically for Blasers that works great to.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

I'll be using Gold Tip Velocity XT arrows (regular diameter). Thanks for all this help.

I use a QAD rest, and blazers. There are usually two top containment arms in a package with the rest. I use the arched one and I heated it carefully to give me a tiny bit more "arc" to make sure I had no contact.
    I also fletch my own arrows and use the Blitzenburger with right hand helical. I set my fletcher up to be slightly offset as well it seemed to get better contact on the arrow shaft.
    On a side note, make sure your shafts are cleaned with alcohol and dried before glueing. Use a Q tip and swab the insert end of your arrow before glueing (if the qtip comes out clean, no black) your inserts will set better.

Thanks for this info everyone.