Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sausage Making Advice. PRO'S NEEDED

Re: Sausage Making Advice. PRO'S NEEDED

I LOVE YOU HUNTWRITER!

You're Golden. I knew what I was saying but some of my wording threw things off and some of the wording that came back sent the ball even further.

All's good. My head is on straight and the compass points north - Thanks.

While I have all the pro's attentions... What type of trim is better suited for Bears; beef or pork?

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

it wouldnt be what kinda trim is best suited for bears its what kinda trim is best suited for the type of sauseage u are makin.....but anyways i would use pork trim....go to ur local butcher or coopers or save one or what have u and aske for some pork picnics it is the right amount of meat to fat ration (wich i think is 80/20) for doing fresh dinnner sausages....are u just throughin in ur own spices or are u ordering mixes from some one like stuffers?
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

I am glad we speak the same language again.

You can use straight pork fat, either kidney fat or back fat. Back fat has a bit more texture to it, meaning it smears less during processing.

You also can use 70/30 (70% fat/30%meat) fatty pork trim from the neck, shoulder and belly.

Another option is to use beef kidney fat or fatty 30/70 (70% fat/30%meat) beef trim (this should be from a grade A or better beef)

While pork fat has a more neutral taste and thus is preferred by most, beef adds a bit beefy flavour to the sausage which some like. Personally I feel beef often compliments wild game meat flavour.

Tip: work fat into the sausage mixture as cold as possible, almost frozen.

I see that you’re in Langley. You can get the fat direct from the source, speak cheaper, rather than trough the butcher store.

Pork fat: Britco Pork is on 22940 Fraser Highway, P (604) 533-3911

Beef fat: Grand Maison Beef Farms is on 5175 184 St Surrey, P (604) 576-8318 or if you don’t mind a trip to Maple Ridge give me a holler (PM) and I make sure to get you good quality stuff from our beef plant.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

doesn't beef fat store better
    holy underwear

Stuffer spice packs in Honey Garlic and Hot Italian is what I have to start the show off with.

When I grind venison that's intended for burger on the barbi, I blend it w/ a bit of beef fat. Now them are some YUMMY eats!

Beef fat does store better, but if the product is friendly w/ the palet, time isn't a consideration. I also have a rule: If there is meat or fish in the freezer the next season; I get the luxury of taking it (that season) off. Obviously I don't need any more - That hasn't happend yet.

I only intend on making good sausage and am willing to use whatever it takes to do so. Going with what my family knows (venison burgs), I'll start with beef trim.

Huntwriter, you can expect a PM in the near future.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.

Good choice. For all my cooking and grilling of meats I use either of two, olive oil or beef lard that I make myself. The taste is simply better. That's just my opinion.

Stuffers is a great place to start for all your sausage making needs.
    Next time you go to Stuffers ask for Bill Leathem and mention "Othmar" to him. He will like it and you may benefit from it.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Stuffers is a great place to start for all your sausage making needs. Next time you go to Stuffers ask for Bill Leathem and mention "Othmar" to him. He will like it and you may benefit from
    The perks that I recieved the other day will be hard to top... But I will give it a try.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.

Mr. Dean

dont forget to mix well, use ICE cold water for mixing...for sausage that will be fresh untill cooked later..ie dinner and breakfast sausage..

I use 3 pounds of water(ice COLD ) per 12 pounds of meat,pepper,and LG 63 binder and garlic ..fresshly done cloves OR pre-done garlic in jars..

Bear meat is only different in the precaution of Trich...other than that its sausage making..

Use pork shoulders...I only add 5% by weight....so as to keep the fat content lean...HOWEVER when cooking them make sure you cook em well done...

Steven

or even use ice instead of water...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Bow Walker Guest

Very good advice there srupp. Obviously you speak from experience.