Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sausage Making Advice. PRO'S NEEDED

Re: Sausage Making Advice. PRO'S NEEDED

mr dean i think u are on the right track and what bow walk and huntwriter have said is pretty much what i would say but with lots more detail as they have way more experience then me as i just started butchering in the last couple years....but what huntwriter was sayin here
    The finished product should be cooked or smoked before it is refrozen.
    is that if u are smokin or cookin the sausage smoke it beforeu refreeze it for fresh just make sure its all stuffed and the process is done before u refreeze it....
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Maybe I haven't conveyed things well.

- I have frozen quarters that need to be thawed and cleaned up.
    - I wish to make dinner sausage that isn't 'ready to eat' but meant to be cooked when it's meal-time.

I'm not talking about Brats, Salami, ect (sandwich meats). I know that my pepperoni needs to be finished before refreezing so that when it comes out, it's ready to snack on.

Yes, this is an undertaking I bestowed upon myself. If I can thaw and process the meat in a controlled enviourment, how is there a risk of contamination? Other than the risk of cross-contamination.

I understand cleansiness... I'm more worried about things like botchalism (sp) which as I understand it, needs a certain enviourment in order to take hold.

Changing a dressing on a wound could lead to infection... But if it's done in the proper manner the risk is reduced and is a better alternative than leaving the old one on.

The way I read the posts, I have two Pro's contradicting each other or I haven't been clear in asking my question.

Again, the sausage I intend to make is of design to stuff the casings and put in the freezer to be cooked at a later date.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

I've been asked by butchers to bring them frozen meat and i've never had
    a problem with sausage .20 years plus
    holy underwear

I do know 1 thing...when your sitting on the sh*ter and your doing the groan and you have that look on your face the sausage has a problem !

lololololol

Quote Originally Posted by huntwriter View Post

The finished product should be cooked or smoked before it is refrozen. Fresh sausages, such as brats should also be frozen immediately after processing. Fresh sausages should not be stored in the refrigerator longer than one to two days before consumption.

Hope this answers your question.
    VIOLA!!!

The problem is...... ME! I'm lost in Sausage Lingo.

The product in question is fresh sausages . The type that isn't intended to be cured, cooked or smoked. Soooo I want to make fresh sausage from frozen meat. As long as I control the meat temp during processing, it's OK/SAFE to do so?

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.

like i said u are on the right track just be cautious how u do it and u will be fine....good luck let us know how it turns out....
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Quote Originally Posted by 444marlin View Post
    Mr Dean,
    We have been making dinner sausages with bear meat for years. Our meat is deboned and then left in the freezer for the required amount of time.
    (Trichinellosis)

We then thaw, grind and mix with 30-40% ground pork trim. Seasoning are added. (butcher can recommend the amount). We package the sausages and refreeze. Quality is excellent. Vacuum packing will add months to the shelf life.

99% chance that ur home freezer (if u are using a regular home freezer) wont hit the temps needed to kill trich.....u have to rely on the cooking of it to kill the trich

Quote Originally Posted by 3kills View Post
    99% chance that ur home freezer (if u are using a regular home freezer) wont hit the temps needed to kill trich.....u have to rely on the cooking of it to kill the trich
    Isn't the rule 2 weeks @ -20
    Anyway it will be treated as pork = WELL DONE

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.

some will say that freezing wont kill trich in bears at all but what i have been taught for killin trich is freezing at -29 C for a minimum of 6 days or
    -25 C for minimum 10 days....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dean View Post
    VIOLA!!!

The problem is...... ME! I'm lost in Sausage Lingo.

The product in question is fresh sausages . The type that isn't intended to be cured, cooked or smoked. Soooo I want to make fresh sausage from frozen meat. As long as I control the meat temp during processing, it's OK/SAFE to do so?
    Sorry if I caused or added to your confusion. Any sausage that is not cured, smoked or pre-cooked is referred to as a fresh sausage in the butcher lingo.

Fresh sausages should be frozen as soon as possible right after production at a minimum departure of –35C to –40C.

The proper environment to produce sausages, if home made, is any place that is cool and clean. Only work at a meat volume that you can process in the shortest possible time before the meat warms up. Process the meat as cold as possible; during the processing time the meat should never reach an internal temperature much higher than 45F (7.2C). .

If you give the meat to a meat processing place take it there solid frozen as this is preferred by most all meat processors.

Of course there are always risks of contamination and cross contamination, but it can be kept to a minimum by proper handling, cooking and basic hygiene procedure.

Hope this explains better and does not add more to your confusion.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"