Thread: Cambell River 2-dayer

Bow Walker Guest

Thumbs up Cambell River 2-dayer

Well.......what can be said about a near perfect shoot? The guys up there deserve a huge thumbs up - especially Rod(?) (Ron?) Saunders... sorry, I can't be sure of the first name. It's not only the memory that gets short with age.

That was one first class shoot. The club/grounds/facilities are all top notch. The indoor shooting range was really nice to shoot in - as well as the outdoor range with the elevated platform for 'tree stand' shots. The host club went out of its way to make us feel welcome - right up to the prize draw.......(my tickets went unanswered).

25 targets, 2 arrow rounds all Saturday and on Sunday morn, and a 1 arrow round on Sunday aft. Then the (for me) fatal prize draw. The tables were literally groaning from the many prizes that were available. Lots of high-end items and plenty of quality items as well. T-shirts that were actually of a useful size for us older, gentlemen of the portly persuasion.

Lunch on Saturday was great. Here's an example...Big thick grilled burger, soft drink of your choice, drink, and bag o' chips for $5. Take your burger over to the condiments table for some thick slices of cheese, mounds of lettuce, plenty of tomatoes, and the usual mustard, ketchup, mayo, relishes. Oh! Did I mention heaps of grilled onions? Done to a perfect caramelized texture. Awesome!

Dinner that night was listed as Spaghetti. Well that doesn't do the meal justice at all. Here's the description that I was given by one 'over-stuffed' diner........Pasta with a thick tomato sauce and plenty of meatballs, along with a huge Caesar salad, heaps of grilled garlic toast (both sides), and then there was dessert - if you had room.

The 3D course? Very well set out. Varying terrain, realistic 'hunting' shots (which is what 3D should be all about), and a good variety of types of shots and animals. Overall the shoot was well organized and well run. One of (if not the) most enjoyable shoots that I have had the pleasure of attending. Thank you C.R.F.W.C.

Speaking of attendance......there were approx. 45 shooters registered by the start time on Saturday morning. Now for a quality 2-day shoot that is pretty pathetic support to one of the better clubs on the Island. Don'tcha think?

I believe that there were only 3 archers that made the trek up-island from Victoria. How many shooters are on this end of the rock? Plenty - that's how many! Where were you all? There was also a very noticeable lack of representation from the mid-lower end of the Island. I'm talking about Cowichan.

Cowichan could be getting ready for their own 2-dayer next weekend, but... there is plenty of daylight from 5 pm until 8 pm for lots of setup. Pretty disappointing. I only hope that hey get the turnout they want.
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 05-29-2007 at 08:08 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cambell River 2-dayer

I would have loved to be there as well as the Cow bowman shoot coming up. I however am working right through the weekends this month.
    Steve.
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.

Bow Walker Guest

Sorry Steve - it's not aimed at you specifically......you are usually working most weekends.

Well I don't know about some of you , but for the few { and I mean very few } there is alot of work setting up a 3 - D course, exspeacially if you work all day as well, if only more of these club members would come out to help. There seems to be a lack of north Island shooters { save a few } at the lower end of the Island for shoots,Malahat shoot 20 people, Cowichan and victoria{ Some }
    Oh well, any how I hope to see a lot of ALL the Island people at our shoot.
    There is a lot of very realistic scenes at every target, 27 shots, 75 plus animals to make up the course, some people have put in a pile of work so to see one of the best and most realistic looking 3 - D's on the Island you'll just have to come shoot it and see for yourself. NUFF SAID.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS