Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any good books or other resources to learn from until next season?

Re: Any good books or other resources to learn from until next season?

Scott Haugen's "Hunting Trophy Blacktail" was useful for me in region 2. I'd recommend it highly.

I should think that there would be some threads hidden on this forum. There were some very knowledgeable posters here a while back, that were willing to share.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

+1
    great books

The Steven Rhinella ones
    Quote Originally Posted by harley1 View Post
    +1
    great books

+1 for Rinella's books (namely the Complete Guide books).. I should note that I'm a total n00b (just started hunting this year with bow, harvested 1 mule deer), I've read many of the other books mentioned here but I got the most out of Rinella's. In addition to it being really thorough, it's highly visual (lots of cool diagrams etc.) so it made it a lot easier for me to pick up on the concepts.

Some of the other books mentioned are awesome too, but would highly benefit from an update (not to content, but to add some more visual content on par with what you would expect in this day and age).

Rinella's books also have awesome info with great colour photos on butchering and even some great recipes.

Guide to Big game: here
    Guide to Small game: here

+1 for Steve Rinella's books, vol.1 on big game is defenitly worth the buy. His podcasts and youtube video's are top notch aswell. Remi Warrens videos and the hushin channel on youtube are worth checking out too, quality entertainment at the least.

It's hard to find good material that pertains to hunting BC. Some good stuff just on this forum if you dig.

Tony Russ: The Manual for Successful hunters. Why 10% of the hunters harvest 90% of the Game.

One of the better books I have read. Tony is from from alaska so it's pretty close to BC. Not like most other books written about the midwest US.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by lostmind View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a new hunter, went on two hunts and spent just over two weeks out last year. Saw plenty of deer but no success.

I'm lucky enough to have an understanding wife and a fairly flexible job, so I am hoping to get out a bit more this coming year. While it isn't all about cutting a tag, I know I have a huge gap in knowledge and success right now is going to be more luck than anything else. I figured remedying that knowledge gap could possibly be found in a book. So to prep I thought I'd do a bit of reading...

But then I went on amazon and there about 10,000 books on hunting mule deer alone and most are seemingly about planting soy and waiting in a tree stand for hunters in the USA.

Could anyone help me out with some recommendations? Anything BC specific out there? Interested in pretty much anything - mule deer, whitetail, moose, elk, sheep, goat, you name it. Thanks!
    I would recommend that you find some experienced hunter/s to tag along with on your next hunting trip/s. You could start a thread before hunting season- LOOKING FOR A HUNTING MENTOR in the general area you plan to hunt.
    Books are OK but don’t come close to learning by real experience. I’ve been hunting for over 50 years & still learning.

Some tips for beginners

-know your gun & what it can/can’t do - & practice, practice, practice.

-get a good set of binos

-carry a small packsack with all the essentials(food, medical, space blanket, rope, matches/lighter,small flashlight, flagging tape, compass, saw…)

-a SPOT or equivalent

-pre-scout the area you intend to hunt concentrating on the wet, sunny side areas.

-avoid shooting at a running animal & make 100% sure of your target before pulling the trigger.

-always be prepared for a bear charge/attack. This is where I would recommend reading all the 3 books written by Gary Shelton, the bear expert extraordinaire!

Bear attacks II: Myth & reality
    Bear encounter survival guide:
    Bear attacks: The deadly truth:

- A properly constructed bullet with SD(sectional density) over .300 is recommended for bear hunting/protection.

A .308 220 gr has a SD of 0.331
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Thanks all! I'm an avid reader, so I've stocked up on books now. Already reading a few on my kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    I would recommend that you find some experienced hunter/s to tag along with on your next hunting trip/s. You could start a thread before hunting season- LOOKING FOR A HUNTING MENTOR in the general area you plan to hunt.
    Books are OK but don’t come close to learning by real experience. I’ve been hunting for over 50 years & still learning.

Some tips for beginners

-know your gun & what it can/can’t do - & practice, practice, practice.

-get a good set of binos

-carry a small packsack with all the essentials(food, medical, space blanket, rope, matches/lighter,small flashlight, flagging tape, compass, saw…)

-a SPOT or equivalent

-pre-scout the area you intend to hunt concentrating on the wet, sunny side areas.

-avoid shooting at a running animal & make 100% sure of your target before pulling the trigger.

-always be prepared for a bear charge/attack. This is where I would recommend reading all the 3 books written by Gary Shelton, the bear expert extraordinaire!

Bear attacks II: Myth & reality
    Bear encounter survival guide:
    Bear attacks: The deadly truth:

- A properly constructed bullet with SD(sectional density) over .300 is recommended for bear hunting/protection.

A .308 220 gr has a SD of 0.331
    Hey Mpotzold! Thanks for the feedback.

I do indeed know next to nothing, even though I spent a few weeks in the woods in 2015. A mentor would be great, but I currently only know a few hunters and the majority are all newcomers like myself - I'll have to try finding one later this year.

Appreciate the beginner tips. I've got most of that down thanks to my eatwild intro course, but I didn't know about the Gary Shelton books or the sectional density bit. I have carried bear spray for the past 6 years or so when I go camping/fishing just in case. Never seen a bear closer than a few hundred meters though, thankfully.