Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improving Snowshoe Hare hunting technique

Re: Improving Snowshoe Hare hunting technique

Figured I should post back here with my experience to date.

Since starting this thread I've shot five hares in eight trips. I really felt like I was getting into the groove by the last one - I was just scanning an area of fairly thick snow-bent alder and the shape of the hare's rump was immediately obvious at about 20 metres. Despite coming across a healthy number of hares I still haven't found deep-worn runs so I suppose I'm yet to find the mother lode. All I've seen to date is individual or overlaid tracks and sparse yet regular droppings, but I've been told by the local naturalist society that this year is at or near the peak of the hare cycle so there should definitely be more of them somewhere nearby.

I recently decided I would leave my 12ga at home and hunt hares exclusively with my 22lr, for the following reasons:
    - Of my five successes three were stationary when I took the shot. The two that were on the run suffered significant damage from the #4 steel shot and seemed to die painfully.
    - On one trip I took a buddy along with his 22lr. He scared a hare into a run and all he could do was watch - if he were carrying a shotgun he would have taken the shot at this point - however after about 15 metres the hare just stopped and froze on the spot. It didn't even move when his first shot sailed over its head.
    - My Browning BPS isn't the heaviest 12ga out there but it's still quite tiring to lug around through thick bush.

Next time I scare one into a run and all I have is my rifle I'll try Riverratz's suggestion of whistling in the hope of getting it to freeze for a second or two while I line up the shot.

Thanks everyone for the advice

Thanks for letting us know. I'm extremely interested in rabbit/hare hunting, from a "tasty meat" perspective. Keep us up to date as I'm dying to find the time to get out there to snag a few!

time is never found , it has to be made

old wise guy saying
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

tomfumb, nice follow up post , the rest of the story
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Get a beagle. My father used them in Nova Scotia. He slayed a lot of rabbits. I used to shoot lots in Clinton and 100 Mile House. Once you find an area. Hunt it before dark. In October they look like ghosts. A little harder to hunt in September. Still lots of fun.