Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back country tents

Back country tents

I am looking for a good spike camp tent lightweight small and waterproof any suggestions?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Back country tents

Very happy with my MSR NX one man.
    Light
    Easy quick set up
    Didn't break the bank
    I like the MSR tents and Ive used them guiding over the years simply due to the cost vs quality. There are better tents out there and I'm sure guys will chime in but spending 800 plus on a piece of nylon that marmots, ground squirrels and porcupines chew on when your out hunting I can buy 3 MSR tents. Tough to beat at the price point there in Big Agnes and even the MEC tents are good. I know some guys that spend 50bucks on Crappy tire tents and they work just fine to. Ive had a few MSR tents and I know there are tone of reviews on them with very few negative reviews....

Budget?

MSR makes some good tents and they're priced not too bad. If you're looking for a light weight bomb shelter the Hillebergs are great, though a ll t pricier.

X2 on the msr nx, I used a 2 man last season, over 20 nights and lots of rain and some snow, it held up well and kept us dry with the ground sheet. Tight fit for 2 grown men, but as a spike camp tent, it fits the bill for not a bad price.

X3 on the msr. Great price great quality and packs down insanely small. Has a vestuable for a pack if you can't fit it into the tent. My sleeping pad my tent and sleeping bag fit right inside my pack with tons of room left for everything else, while only weighing 5lbs
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    fathom

Yup gonna get me one of those tents....sounds good with reviews

Nobody is going to want to hear this... But we got the new Kuiu prototype tent to demo this season. We have 4 hillebergs and they were all left at base camp. I don't know what they retail for but they are 1000 times better than the first tent they came out with. They were bomb proof and so much lighter than the hille. That being said if weight isn't an issue there has never been a bad review on a hille..
    Thunderstick Moab hybrid longbow T/D 58" 52#@28". Jim Reynolds
    Crow Creek Crow Mag hybrid longbow 3/pc 60" 51#@28". Elmer Patton

Field editor @ Journal of Mountain Hunting

I have owned/used a lot mountain tents and will not buy anything other then Hillebergs, but, BOY, they are costly!

I like MSR and Mountain Hardware tents and many of the older Marmot tents were great, too.

If, you can find a good. used Calgary-made Integral Designs MKI, I-XL or MKIII tent, not the Chinese-made ones sold now, these are outstanding, but, not very roomy.

Had two different new MSR tents leak rain in through the fly. It is torture laying watching the mesh overhead knowing a drip is about to drop onto your sleeping bag.
    Asked Buddy "Hey these are new. Did you seam seal them like in the instructions ?"
    "Instructions ? What instructions ? " he says.

Some manufacturers take the time to make sure their tents are finished before they go out the door.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Just bought a Hilleberg, The Nallo 3, can't wait to try it out on our Sheep hunt this yr.
    Quality looks superb..
    But with the exchange rate where it's at ,very pricey.

I think there is a Nallo 2 for sale in the buy and sell here at HBC