Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smoke house

Re: Smoke house

Update..I was JUST on the border for heat for smokies with ELECTRIC so I went to just propane heat and it works perfect..on the lowest setting it is just under the needed heat..so minimum propane useage..lower cost per batch..and the smoker is SO efficient that the outside walls dont get warm at all..Ok maybe marginally..the stack is working exellent as is the fresh air draw...tried it out today...got a new cast irorn frying pan for the chips....will need to keep my eyes peeled for cherry trees being cut down for some cherry wood...HINT HINT..lol..

I am going to get a pipe to get the gas to the burner inside the smoker and save the hose for outside,...next week SMOKIES!!!!!Ill post some IN USE PHOTOS THEN....

STEVEN

Smile Re: Smoke house

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    This is my home made smoker..it is double walled steel(old blanket warmer ) the inside is 6 feet tall x 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep...has 8 racks for salmon and 4 for hanging smokies etc...

The top was added just to shed water and give stability to smoke pipe /stack..on the side closest is a thermometer and at the bottom of the front is an adjustable steel slide vent for changing air volumes....

All in all I have $75 in this....

Steven
    Nicest one I've ever seen.
    Thatskindafunny
    patience, preperation and perseverance

lol she aint pretty...BUT she sure works amazingnly well..and I can do 60 pounds of smokies at a time..but my water bath cooker will only hold 30 #'s so i will do it in 30 pound loads...30 #'s in the smoker and then into the water bath while a second 30 #'s get's smoked...I anticipate being able to smoke peperoni or smokies well into DECEMBER in the CARIBOO with the set up ..OUTSIDE,,,

Steven

and here I was looking at a blanket warmer in the government asset disposal site a few months ago and wondering what on earth I could use it for.....

hmmmm the best use for one I have come up with...and really inexpensive...not even the price of metal..smoker photos of it in use tomorrow..

Steven

whitetail smokies..made fresh yesterday...20 #s..

steven

Thanks alot Steven......

Now I really must go for lunch.....

You are sooooooooo lucky I am such a long drive away

awww you wouldnt have liked em..lol..I "double " smoked this batch because most of em are going to my twin brother who LOVES heavily smoked fish and sausages...hence they are a little darker in color more brown than red..but not dry..

I thought they tasted like "more".... my good friend Gary..aka Cariboo tried some today..he seemed to like the extra smoke.....since they were for "home use" I didnt get too careful making each link the exact same size...heck they all look the same between 2 slices of bread with some mustard..

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    awww you wouldnt have liked em..lol..I "double " smoked this batch because most of em are going to my twin brother who LOVES heavily smoked fish and sausages...
    You are killing me here....is there a drooooool emoticon somewhere?

I got my NEW 2008 King Ranch diesel truck today and took some smokies into the dealership they opened them right there and scarffed em all back only the still frozen ones survived..for now..

In the picture the pretty lady is my wife Susan...and she's filling a stainless steel pot..once smoking is done I finish the smokies for a bit i hot water to complete the job..then into a cold bath to stop the cooking process and prevent shrivelling of the smokies..

Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 07-03-2007 at 05:13 PM.