Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel break in: Yes or no?

Re: Barrel break in: Yes or no?

For now i think the safe thing to do is fire my rifle lol! See what it can do and break it in if necessary.

I love spraying bullets in the bush especially when I drop something!Barrel break in is hogwash.Its a disclaimer for the manufacturer in my opinion.

What's most important to me, is starting with a clean bore from new. Lots of oils in the bore from the factory
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    I was told by a mechanic to absolutely follow the manufacturer's directions on break-in because different engines will break in differently due to their design. Makes sense for guns as well to me.
    If rifles ever start being produced with internal combustion engines and transmissions, I'll make sure to heed break-in procedures........

Until that day comes, I'll continue to clean down to bare steel, lightly swab with Kroil and shoot till groups open up. Far more damage is inflicted on barrels from misguided cleaning procedures, than running bullets down a fouled bore....

Bullet = Piston
    Barrel = Cylinder
    Bolt = Valve
    Bolt Handle = Cam
    Primer = Spark Plug
    Trigger Assembly = Ignition System

Not too far off, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    What's most important to me, is starting with a clean bore from new. Lots of oils in the bore from the factory
    ^
    This. Great advice. I've noticed different levels of factory grime from different manufacturers. A Remington I bought new was just filthy, two Xbolts had lots of grease, two Noslers spic and span and same for a Sako. Small sample size of course -- wonder if others notice same thing. Either way, always give em a nice thorough clean before first shots...

SB
    Last edited by Salmon Belly; 02-07-2016 at 11:08 PM.

Hahahaha......Ya, almost identical...

Biggest threat to a barrel is heat and improper cleaning procedures. Copper has very little effect on CM or SS as far as wearing it out.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I've never followed a recommended break in procedure on any new rifle I've owned, with that being said I don't shoot them a lot either, before taking a new rifle to the range I clean it with Wipeout, then sight it in which never takes more than 2-4 shots, I will then shoot a cpl groups of 3 shots ensuring total cooling between groups, I usually have 2 or 3 rifles at the range and switch so the rifle cools between groups, when I go home it gets another shot of Wipeout and were good to go hunting. Then I clean it at the end of each hunting season.....so once a year after that !
    I've done around 60 rifles this way and never had an issue.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I cant believe guys dont take the time to break in a barrel on a new rifle, whats the harm? A guy who looks after his equipment and a clueless chump probably have different ideas about things and would give you two different answers. Which guy are you? Go to a high end barrel makers webpage or your rifle manufactures and find a procedure for breaking in a barrel and follow that. At least you will have piece of mind you did it properly. Even if barrel break in is a myth you will never know for sure cause once you dont do it there is no going back on that particular gun.
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 02-08-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by donny.brooke View Post
    I cant believe guys dont take the time to break in a barrel on a new rifle, whats the harm? A guy who looks after his equipment and a clueless chump probably have different ideas about things and would give you two different answers. Which guy are you? Go to a high end barrel makers webpage or your rifle manufactures and find a procedure for breaking in a barrel and follow that. At least you will have piece of mind you did it properly. Even if barrel break in is a myth you will never know for sure cause once you dont do it there is no going back on that particular gun.
    When you buy your Sony radio and read that they recommend only Sony AA batteries, do you follow that?
    You should if it makes you sleep better.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach