Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel break in: Yes or no?

Re: Barrel break in: Yes or no?

I do, not sure that'd it's needed, but I feel better for doing it.

I just bought a new rifle and I'm kind of a noob so I've been reading up on this a bit. Here's an article I found that makes sense to me;
    http://www.rifleshootermag.com/gunsm...-rifle-barrel/

Quote Originally Posted by jag View Post
    I do, not sure that'd it's needed, but I feel better for doing it.
    Same, feel better doing it, and really how often are you buying a new rifle. The Nosler M48's come with recommended barrel break in procedure.

SB

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    apparently you don't know my buddy Jeff
    Lol!!!!!!!
    They laughed at my boots, laughed at my jeans, laughed when they gave me amphetamines
    Left me alone in a mean part of town, 36 hrs to come back down...am I the last of my kind?

Barrel break in AKA trying to lap your bore with copper.

The main purpose for break in procedures is to "Season" the barrel and allow the microscopic pores and machining to fill in so cleaning becomes easier and less frequent. Often times you will find after a proper break procedure your barrel will accumulate less fouling residue between strings.
    Microscopic pores accumulating copper causing excessive fouling? One hit of copper solvent and you'd undo any "seasoning" you'd have just done. Sounds more than a little suspect to me. What will really accumulate fouling is tool marks, chatter, and bore roughness. Lapping bores is basically sanding out the tool marks leaving you with a smooth even bore. The break in process is like a lame way of lapping your bore with your bullets. You'll get the same results if you just shoot lots and clean periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkatac View Post
    You're not shooting 40 rounds at every deer you see in the bush so chances are you'll never benefit from a barrel break in.
    Speak for yourself
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Your choice but whatever you choose you're rifle won't become an instant piece of shit and the sun will still come up the next day. I don't but I don't shoot the first hundred rounds before cleaning either usually no more than 20 or so for the first few cleanings.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Speak for yourself
    Sorry... I wasn't implying I don't spray the forest with bullets when I see movement, everyone does it. I just so happen to carry my cleaning supplies so my accuracy doesn't diminish as I'm spraying bullets into the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Some barrel makers insist on it, some think it's hogwash. Go with whatever the manufacturer says I guess.
    I had never done it my whole life until the last two Nosler rifles I bought that cost more $ than previous and I did theyre recommended barrel break in. Pain in the ass really but.... Any difference, couldn't say for sure as my favorite steyr manlicher 270 had no barrel break in and several hundred rds thru it and shoots supreme. ??? anything to shoot more is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Some barrel makers insist on it, some think it's hogwash. Go with whatever the manufacturer says I guess.
    I was told by a mechanic to absolutely follow the manufacturer's directions on break-in because different engines will break in differently due to their design. Makes sense for guns as well to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..