Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel break in: Yes or no?

Hybrid View

Barrel break in: Yes or no?

Been reading a lot about taking care of your new rifle and then this topic came out. Did a search in huntingBC and 2 old threads, 6 years ago, comes out.

Now with another 6 years, has anyone proven that barrel break in is necessary/useful? And does everyone break in their new factory barrels? Or is it still a myth?

Oh and I came across this video too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Barrel break in: Yes or no?

It's think it's an old wife's tale.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I bought a nice cheapo Savage .308 a number of years ago (new).
    Cleaned it up when I bought it but no "Barrel break in" here.....shoots nice and straight for me, has killed stuff for me, and was used by my son to get his first mulie last season (at 150 yards).

I don't know....maybe it's better to break in your rifle....but perhaps not???

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    I bought a nice cheapo Savage .308 a number of years ago (new).
    Cleaned it up when I bought it but no "Barrel break in" here.....shoots nice and straight for me, has killed stuff for me, and was used by my son to get his first mulie last season (at 150 yards).

I don't know....maybe it's better to break in your rifle....but perhaps not???
    If you had bought a 5000 dollar custom target rifle would you have done the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by donny.brooke View Post
    If you had bought a 5000 dollar custom target rifle would you have done the same thing?
    So sorry, I can't afford a $5000 custom target rifle. One of the reasons I'm on a hunting website, not a target shooting website.

The OP didn't specify that he/she was asking about a long range target rifle. If that was the case, I wouldn't have responded.

But whatever......carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by donny.brooke View Post
    YES, I don't like to toot my own horn but I've had many $5k+ Rifles and some I've followed break in procedure and some I just shot until accuracy degrades. Guess what... The only thing I noticed without break in was I went through less cleaning supplies and the one I didn't break in took longer to get to my standards of clean once it became time.

If you shoot 50 rounds a day, break in the barrel because it will be easier to clean in the long run. If you hunt or do the odd target session there is absolutely no sense wasting the cleaning supplies and perhaps accidently messing something up during cleaning like your crown for example.

Again just my .02

PS. For anyone who wants to put it to the test there's a beautiful Cadex Precision Rifle in 338 Lapua for sale in the EE

How could you ever break in a piece of steel? I've got a brand new 45-70 Henry rifle I have to clean for a friend, he's bought a number of rifles in the last few months, I asked a very experienced shooter yesterday what has to be done before we shoot them, run some solvent and oil through the barrel, and go have fun was the answer I got. BUT! If a guy wants maybe take a cleaning kit to the range and after every 3 shots or so, let the barrel cool a bit, and run a patch with a bit of solvent then oil through the barrel, it's made from steel so you can't do any damage to it that's for sure! And have fun with your new rifle!

Some barrel makers insist on it, some think it's hogwash. Go with whatever the manufacturer says I guess.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Some barrel makers insist on it, some think it's hogwash. Go with whatever the manufacturer says I guess.
    The manual that came with my Cooper Excalibur had a barrel break-in procedure recommendation. Four strings of five shots (for a total of twenty), with cleaning in between. I also called Wilson barrels (they now own Creedmoor), and asked them about barrel break-in. They told me the same thing as what's in the manual, but said it's probably not necessary as their barrels are already lapped.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I had never done it my whole life until the last two Nosler rifles I bought that cost more $ than previous and I did theyre recommended barrel break in. Pain in the ass really but.... Any difference, couldn't say for sure as my favorite steyr manlicher 270 had no barrel break in and several hundred rds thru it and shoots supreme. ??? anything to shoot more is good.