Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel break in: Yes or no?

Barrel break in: Yes or no?

Been reading a lot about taking care of your new rifle and then this topic came out. Did a search in huntingBC and 2 old threads, 6 years ago, comes out.

Now with another 6 years, has anyone proven that barrel break in is necessary/useful? And does everyone break in their new factory barrels? Or is it still a myth?

Oh and I came across this video too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Barrel break in: Yes or no?

It's think it's an old wife's tale.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

How could you ever break in a piece of steel? I've got a brand new 45-70 Henry rifle I have to clean for a friend, he's bought a number of rifles in the last few months, I asked a very experienced shooter yesterday what has to be done before we shoot them, run some solvent and oil through the barrel, and go have fun was the answer I got. BUT! If a guy wants maybe take a cleaning kit to the range and after every 3 shots or so, let the barrel cool a bit, and run a patch with a bit of solvent then oil through the barrel, it's made from steel so you can't do any damage to it that's for sure! And have fun with your new rifle!

Some barrel makers insist on it, some think it's hogwash. Go with whatever the manufacturer says I guess.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I could write an essay on the subject but I'll write a quick sentence that sums it up.

The main purpose for break in procedures is to "Season" the barrel and allow the microscopic pores and machining to fill in so cleaning becomes easier and less frequent. Often times you will find after a proper break procedure your barrel will accumulate less fouling residue between strings.

For hunting purposes who cares? You're not shooting 40 rounds at every deer you see in the bush so chances are you'll never benefit from a barrel break in.

My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Some barrel makers insist on it, some think it's hogwash. Go with whatever the manufacturer says I guess.
    The manual that came with my Cooper Excalibur had a barrel break-in procedure recommendation. Four strings of five shots (for a total of twenty), with cleaning in between. I also called Wilson barrels (they now own Creedmoor), and asked them about barrel break-in. They told me the same thing as what's in the manual, but said it's probably not necessary as their barrels are already lapped.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

I love barrel break in. $$$
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by tikkatac View Post
    You're not shooting 40 rounds at every deer you see in the bush
    apparently you don't know my buddy Jeff
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by tikkatac View Post

For hunting purposes who cares? You're not shooting 40 rounds at every deer you see in the bush so chances are you'll never benefit from a barrel break in.
    See this i exactly what was bothering me. Since all the google search I come up with is mostly long range/ bench shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I love barrel break in. $$$

And ladder tests lol $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @