Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Barrel break in: Yes or no?

Re: Barrel break in: Yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    And that is just it, it's a freaking hunting rifle. Whole different animal.

I had the privilege of spending quite a number of hours/days with the Forslund brothers, 2 of the best BR shooters this province has ever seen, so I've seen the lengths people go, to eek out a few thousandths in a 5 shot group. Fact is, 99% of regular shooters/hunters would/could never realize that difference, even if that caliber of gun(Pardon the pun) was placed in their lap; me included. Reason being, even if you master the rifle(the easiest part of the equation) you will get used ugly style by atmospheric conditions, which is what really seperates the men from the boys, if you will.
    I SPENT a LOT of time with twins ! I even shot some ( un OFFICIAL) WORLD record size groups in the under ground range ! I built my first 2 rifles with them when they Lived in Vernon before moving to CheeryVille ! The first a 243 Win and the then a 22-250 Rem . Many years ago now ! Meet them in Vernon when they moved in from Edgewood ! Cheers RJ

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    They were quite the guys... I remember when we hosted a Registered Benchrest Super Shoot back in Alberta at the Namaka Benchrest Range south of Strathmore in the early 70's ... they showed up and cleaned up... they knew what to do when it came to rifles and shooting... I forget which brother won the 40X as first prize...
    Bob won the 40 X RJ

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    They were quite the guys... I remember when we hosted a Registered Benchrest Super Shoot back in Alberta at the Namaka Benchrest Range south of Strathmore in the early 70's ... they showed up and cleaned up... they knew what to do when it came to rifles and shooting... I forget which brother won the 40X as first prize...
    Not sure if it was the same match, but Bob talked about the grass/grain field nearby and spending a day prior the match with Al, watching the wind cycles on the crop. He always chuckled about local paper running the headline, "Two Hill Billies came down from the mountains and stole all our prizes"....

Al actually went to a big BR shoot in the States in the mid 90's and placed second in his class and 7th overall, IIRC. A great achievement, in and of itself, but to do it with a rifle you put together and an action you machined yourself at home, puts it in a whole nother league. He rebedded the action 3 or 4 times before he was satisfied that it was stress free. And I still remember him explaining to me in great detail how he taper cut the barrel threads to even the load, as in a regular system the bulk of the strain is put on the first couple threads. The first day while he was setting up with a lot of his homemade stuff, all he could hear was snears and chuckles and no one would converse with him.....By day 2 guys they were crowding his table asking questions.....

Truly a great loss when Al and Bob passed on.....

New savage 16 light weight hunter 7-08 showed no more coppering at 14 rounds today. Did a 5 shot clean every shot. Then 3 round groups then clean. After that its shoot it til your out of ammo. 150 ballistic tips ran 5/8 inch clover leaf groups for 3 groups straight. That was my modified barrel break in cause it showed signs of no more copper fouling.

What is your solvent of choice db?