Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bar fishing the Frazer

Hybrid View

Bar fishing the Frazer

I'm new to the coast and I wanted to get into fishing sturgeon down here, I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to point me in the right direction of fishing them off shore.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bar fishing the Frazer

An old buddy from work used to back his truck up under the Mission bridge near the waters edge cast his gear out there and lay on his truck hood and dozz off till he got bites.Hauled a few in there as well..that was back in the day when they were legal to keep.

Those sturgeon fillets were tasty!

takla

where abouts are you parked on the coast there are lots of places to fish for sturgeon around here .
    narrow it down a bit
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

I'm in burnaby

My buddy catches a couple every year from shore while bar fishing for salmon. If you hook a big one be prepared to run around a lot.

Ive caught numerous off Grassy bar east of Mission.Last yr I caught while bottom bounceing for sockeye ,a 7 foot sturgeon!..Had to jump in the boat and follow it down river over a mile till I got it to the boat..was hopeing for a red spring but no go...got a quarter sized blister on my thumb from trying to slow the level wind reel when it hit!

takla

Quote Originally Posted by takla1 View Post
    Ive caught numerous off Grassy bar east of Mission.Last yr I caught while bottom bounceing for sockeye ,a 7 foot sturgeon!..Had to jump in the boat and follow it down river over a mile till I got it to the boat..was hopeing for a red spring but no go...got a quarter sized blister on my thumb from trying to slow the level wind reel when it hit!

takla
    Sockeyes were closed all of last year, interesting admission.

From shore try the docks in Mission just up from the bridge, won't be too busy yet for boats and you should be able to pick something up. Not sure if you're allowed to fish off them but its worth a try.
    Need a fresh water (non-tidal) licence and a sturgeon tag above the mission bridge, tidal licence below the bridge.
    Eulachons or uncured eggs will work.

Quote Originally Posted by tyreguy View Post
    Sockeyes were closed all of last year, interesting admission.
    Closed for retention not fishing
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Closed for retention not fishing

no one should be targeting sockeye when they are closed for retention. I assume you meant fishing for pinks...

also Bottom Bouncing when sockeye are not open is unethical and i cant wait until they close it down.

Did you not see the notice put out by DFO multpile times when the bar fishing for springs opened. "SELECTIVE fishing methods" to target the intended species, they specifically said " Bottom Boucning is not a selective harvest method and if non-selective techniques are being seen then all salmon fishing will be closed"

And we wonder why the Fraser was closed so soon and we had barely any openings for bar fishing for springs. Id head out and pass 30 BB to 1 bar fisher this past year, absolutely unexceptable IMO.

To catch a species that is not open for retention when we are at record low numbers is just ignorant and no concern for our wild salmon.

Sorry i could on and on for days on this BB crap... fine when sockeye are open and method works great. If no sockeye are open then no BB. Stores shouldnt even be allowed to sell the gear,.... bull***t
    Last edited by Gone_Fishin_; 02-10-2016 at 10:59 AM.

One day take a drive up the canyon.. Hope to Yale.. Find some slow moving water and have at er