Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suffield Alberta - The Prairie Elk Experience

Re: Suffield Alberta - The Prairie Elk Experience

Great read so far Nog. Well written as usual.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Great story telling and pics so far. Looking forward to the rest.

Arrow Re: Suffield Alberta - The Prairie Elk Experience

Couple of points I missed from the first day...

When fueling up at the end of the day, we met a rather nice Fellow who although embarrassed, enlightened us to a near miss that same morning...

Somehow he managed to get around to the north of us, and came into the same general area we had decided to land on. He was the only one we encountered who had put the effort in to collect advance intel, and knew right where that Bachelor Herd was positioned. Coming south towards the same spot the first thing in the morning, he encountered a Big Six right beside the road. In his words: "It ran a bit, and we got out in front of it. I got out and got ready, and he ran up right beside us at about 150 yards. And Stopped. I Lined up, and MISSED! He then ran back the way he came, ducked into a coulee, and made the Reserve before we could even get turned around!" Surprised he would even admit to that, we consoled him suggesting anyone can miss, especially so when facing down a 380+ Bull!

It is entirely likely that the tracks and Big Six we first encountered were the same one he was referring to. I'd hazard a guess it would have run mid 380's, and it came exactly from the area the fellow described. That and the sole truck that wandered by us going the other way was most certainly the one he was in. I can only imagine The Pain!

But, that also gave us a little more confidence that just perhaps, one of those Big Boys might make a mistake yet!

The other point: There are exceedingly few trees on that base. So much so that to encounter one is always the subject of amazement. Elk of course have to shed their velvet each and every year. But with no trees...

Most of the fences inside the base (and many along it's perimeter) were in bad need of repair. Not only the wire being knocked loose or simply missing, but the posts themselves looked like Giant Porcupines had been working them over. It took us but a moment or two to put that together - the bulls were using those fence posts as velvet rubbing material! Some were simply rubbed, some hour-glass shaped, and some rubbed right off down to the base!

Here's a short clip that mentions both that, and the results of so many years of the entire lack of management in this particular case:

I'll now get back to the next installment of this tale...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

1 1/2 hours ago, must have been a stiff rum lol. Great read so far to well detailed story. Here's to a happy ending
    HH

Sorry you're post popped up after mine lol

Even though quite weary, I awoke well before the alarm clock went off.
    Heard the rustlings of my BC Partner - probably making coffee I thought - and recognized I was not alone in doing so...
    Visions of the previous day wandered through my thoughts as I lay there wishing sleep to come back.
    How in the hell did we get ourselves involved in this mess dominated my thoughts...
    Oh well, let's make the best of it, and I struggled to the kitchen to down a stiff shot of caffeine or two.

The "Hunt" Day Two

Our Crew began this morning just a little more subdued than the previous one. It was becoming quite apparent that a great deal of the rumors we had heard were being discovered to be true, and the task of taking a bull elk - any bull elk - was proving to be quite the undertaking...
    Nonetheless, we Manned Up, Saddled Up and soon found our way running North to the next briefing we had to attend.

The Lady had to work that day, so we would be operating solo. Well, not quite, there was one or two from this site, as well as a couple of others we knew that were attempting to work together. And of course we welcomed that, recognizing any and all help at this point could only be a benefit. Thanks indeed to those who know who you are

The briefing itself was rather subdued that morning. Most arrived earlyish as opposed to the day before, and the numbers had declined by perhaps nearly half.
    The semi-depression of the day before seemed almost omnipotent at this point amongst most, and was more or less enhanced when the CO announced that there were "Very Few Elk in the open areas" and "most have actually departed the base". Repeating the murmurs of his staff the day previous...
    On the positive side, he also noted that to date, this was "the best group of hunters thus far, with zero infractions recorded, rule compliance was high, and the fact that many of us were noted as working together". Both my Partners shot me a hard glance as if to say "Shaddup" when I sat forward at those remarks, so I shook my head and let it slide...

With fewer in attendance, and most (a couple new FN's had showed) already briefed the day before, the meeting closed just a little earlier than the day before.
    When it did though, the Mad Rush once again ensued, but our strategy once again proved sound (despite a near heart attack running to the truck that hard this time!) and we ended up in Position Four for the run up the highway. The same two gates were the only access, and once again the parade commenced north towards them. This time though, the three in front of us had obviously decided to hell with speed limits and Really lit it up! Rolling well in excess of the limit, they drew away from us as we tried to maintain some level of self control...

At the southern gate, we noted that only one of the trucks had continued north, the other two turning in as we did.
    The run across the base was somewhat swift, but we did not even bother to keep the front runners in anything more than sight.
    We, after all, already had A Plan

Nearing our destination, we saw one of the trucks continue on as we had the previous morning. No idea where the other one went. No Worries.
    IF those Bulls had strayed outside their Refuge on the path they had started on at last light the evening before, they should theoretically be to the south.
    Making that turn, we again slowed to a crawl, and noted that this time the wind was still very much in our favor.
    Sneaking along as well as a truck is capable of, we closed towards the area we hoped the bulls might still be lingering.
    The Plan worked, but only to a point. They certainly were not aware of our approach.
    And, they had indeed closed some of the distance towards the Sanctuary boundary.
    Unfortunately for us, just not quite enough of that distance.

For there, less than 300 yards from that damned border, stood the Ringleaders of the entire Crew!
    Their manner strongly suggested they were blissfully unaware of our presence as they continued to feed contentedly.
    Immediately we backed off, and made a hasty retreat to an observation point some distance off.
    While the Bulls continued to feed, we rapidly set up spotting scopes to observe them while hidden below the crest of that hill.
    Call The Big One my Alberta Partner whispered.
    Front and right, in the lead the reply. Range differential between him and the fence now 382 yards...

Although accompanied by five bulls that would break 375" and several others approaching that, the lead bull simply outclassed them all.
    I have a LOT of experience with mature elk, worked in National Parks, hunted the borders of some, much of the East Slopes, BC, Wyoming, Utah and more.
    The only reason I bring that up is simply to put in perspective my next statement: That 7 x 8 Bull I was staring at through the tube was and is The Biggest I have ever had the fortune to lay my eyes on! An Incredible Animal, packing more weight & lengths in headgear than two of many mature bulls combined. I crunched the numbers a dozen times, and still could not believe what I was coming up with. Un-Effing-Real. And it simply wasn't just the antlers - he literally Towered over those in his company, suggesting a body weight approaching 1,200 pounds.

Shaking my head, I dropped down below the scope to give another buddy a boo. Holy Good Christ were the first words from my BC Partner's lips. aYup.
    Grinning, my Alberta Partner whispered What do you think of that?
    Whether we shoot or not, these moments just made my trip I murmured back. Never imagined I'd ever see one just like that...

Just then, our waiting game with them was to unfortunately come to an abrupt end. Several trucks came over the hill, and a couple this time could not help but see them. Slamming on their brakes to get a better look, at the exact point that herd was aimed at on the fence, was apparently the right thing to do for two of them under such circumstances. Big Boy and his Crew didn't like that so much, nervously milling around, then slowly wandering back uphill and deeper into the Sanctuary. Heavy Sigh. Knew this might happen under these circumstances. Watched for a rather lengthy spell until they disappeared over the ridge back towards the big river... Lordy...

Well, that gigs up noted my still positive Alberta Buddy. Let's roll...
    Still shaking from the latest encounter, I wistfully agreed.
    This time we ventured towards the middle of the area we'd wandered the day previous, with a mind's eye of taking advantage of a high hill overlooking a massive flat and lake system we had noted. Along the way we said hello to quite a few more antelope, and waved at several coyotes and the odd mulie as they fled to parts unknown.

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

The hill in question is likely well known, as it offers an extended view to points north over a rather large expanse.
    Rolling up (and of course keeping below the skyline - even with a truck) we took position to scan the many acres laid out in front of us.
    Within minutes, my Alberta Partner noted another group of antelope, but my focus was elsewhere.
    Above them, to the right, and out another 350 yards I suggested.
    Group of 7 or 8 elk. Bulls I believe from body size and posture.
    Up with the spotting scopes. Yes. 7 animals. Unless two have mini-spikes - five bulls, a cow & a calf.
    Size? queried my Buddy. Careful scrutiny. Distance 1600 yards. Max magnification. None will break 300. Raghorns.
    What do you think?
    Let's get on top of them and decide...

There was a small range of hills between us and the little herd we could see from our vantage point.
    If all went well, we should be able to get within 300 - 400 yards. Agreed & Rolling.
    Somewhere behind that ridge we took a minor diversion. By the time we got back on track the little herd was nowhere to be seen.
    Then the rattle of rifle fire. Two distinct, then a volley. Then another...
    Oh Oh.
    From the next vantage point it was easy to see what had happened. We were close, but the little herd got nervous due to two trucks coming from the north. So they had turned east towards the Sanctuary and ran into a Gauntlet. Two were down and trucks closing in. Five more trucks were in pursuit, but it was more than obvious the elk would win that particular race...

Sheesh!

After witnessing this, we decided to abandon the area and set out to explore what little of the base we had not laid eyes on to this point.
    Getting away from The Madness seemed of utmost importance to all of us at that point, and as always, we let our instincts lead the way.

Funny thing about instincts, sometime they steer you right, but occasionally they veer the opposite direction.
    As we ventured further north and slightly east, fog decided to roll in.
    At first just distorting the horizon, but within less than an hour descending like a wall and reducing visibility to 50 yards or less.
    Great. Out with the tracking skills...

Over the course of the next several hours, we moved rather slowly, looking for sign, and often wandering trails with week's old vehicle passage marking their way. We did see tracks. Mulies. Antelope. Coyotes. Even managed to jump a good sized flock of sharptails (and MAN that brought back reminiscence and tales of years past!). The few & only elk? Days old. Hmmm...

Eventually we made the conscious decision to return to where we'd seen The Giant.
    That too took a spell, and when we got to the observation post, the fog still prevented us from looking where we needed to.
    Screw it. Sit Tight. We did. And just before last light, the fog decided to give us a break...

Again that last effort was rewarded by another sighting of the Big Boy and his Crew. Followed by a good handful of their Followers.
    Hmmm... Showing a similar pattern. KeRist! Almost wish they would Go Away at this point!
    When the blackness consumed all, we made our retreat. The Big Bulls were once again within 400 yards of the fence... And we knew exactly where...

As we rolled out that night, late (of course) we learned that two of the three bulls harvested that day were the accidental results of our efforts.
    Somehow that actually made us feel a little better...

Another 500+ kilometers. Stiffer rums. One day left forthcoming. All intel we can gather suggest failure is imminent.
    We simply cannot accept that synopsis...

Worsening case of Truck Butt. Codeine is your friend...

Guess he got to Know me

Waiting for the final chapter, excellent read so far, however if this work was published it would belong in the horror section!
    KCCO

Thumbs up Re: Suffield Alberta - The Prairie Elk Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    ... however if this work was published it would belong in the horror section!
    Wait until you read The Final Chapter
    I'll post the final "hunt" installment now, but there is more to come. And that ain't going to be anywhere near "pretty".

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Cool Re: Suffield Alberta - The Prairie Elk Experience

I awoke once again quite early this, our final day.
    Not due to anticipation this time, but rather the aches and pains of both body and mind.
    The body in that my butt now felt like I had been dropped 30 feet onto it - directly onto concrete, and every joint was now singing it's own little tune of resentment.
    The mind chewing on much of what we had seen & been told - the five dead cows we had wandered across the day previous (and the fact that no-one seemed to want to know or care), the antics of some of our fellow "hunters", the understanding that some elk had managed to make it back into the Refuge - only to die a slow lingering death there, the overt misinformation and seemingly lack of concern amongst those overseeing this "hunt" - all this and more dominated my waking thoughts, and I felt the early warning signs of an intense bout of heartburn setting in...

Stumbling to the kitchen, I washed down several Tums with strong black coffee, and openly wondered just what the presence of a potential 100 more guns would bring to the coming day. Our Crew worked each other hard - trying to rebuild some of the Confidence & Anticipation we had enjoyed just a couple short mornings ago. So it was that within moments, and after a few headshakes, we managed to somehow convince our spirits to rise to the task at hand and make the best of the situation we possibly could...

Despite our grim reports, The Lady decided she would take in at least the morning of our final day. So once again we squished into our chariot, and began the pilgrimage towards the briefing hall a few miles north.

The "Hunt" - Day Three

The scene was chaotic upon our arrival. Whereas the day previous, the parking lot had still offered room when the meeting was called to order, it was strikingly obvious this was not to be the case today. Although an hour early yet again, the lot was full, and trucks were circling - some simply looking for a place to park, others jockeying for the best position from which to launch in the upcoming race. Thankfully for our aspirations, no-one had recognized our particular strategy, and we managed to park the two rigs in our own preferred launch site.

The line up ran right outside the doors this time, and many were attempting to fill out their required forms in the jostling crowd.
    Initial registration took much longer than any day previous due to the large increase in numbers, and it was a considerable while before the meeting could be called to order as a consequence. A quick head count at that point suggested around 180 were in attendance for the briefing this morning.

The briefing itself was much more detailed than the previous two days, and you could simply sense the levels of apprehension and frustration building.
    That certainly wasn't alleviated when the CO announced that the southern most block - an area locally know as The Bowling Alley would not be opened this date - due to an angry submission by a local landowner who noted hunting pressure had caused many elk to destroy the fence adjacent to his property there, and the elk to take up residence for several days following. That announcement was accompanied by a lot of heavy sighs when it was openly admitted that there was a recognizable elk presence there, but "not a lot in most of the open areas". The matter was then compounded by the CO's announcement that another, unrelated area would also be closed off this date. No reason forthcoming, just that it was to be closed. That generated a fair bit of debate, and eventually the CO backed down on that proposal due to the fact the area simply was not delineated on the maps they had just handed out. Bizarre!!

While we had thought the dispersal following the briefing to be Lunacy the previous two days, we simply were not prepared for what would occur this morning!
    It was quite obvious that many of the cow hunters were extremely eager to get out there asap, and the ensuing scramble would have been almost comical in another situation. Our strategy continued to pay off to some extent, and we found ourselves in Position 8 as we rolled out onto the highway.

This however was not to be the somewhat orderly procession to the gates of the previous dates. Nope - more akin to actions any stock car rally would be proud of! The front-runners kicked into High Gear. Even running about 10 clicks over the speed limit, they soon left the majority in their dust.
    Suddenly the entire procession was stalled by the glaring of flashing overhead crosswalk lights. Those closest simply hammered on the gas, and surged through the intersection in a desperate attempt to catch those rapidly disappearing over the distant horizon. As we idled down and stopped, two trucks well behind literally roared into the left (turning) lane and raced tight up to the small crowd of children and adults crossing the road. WTF? The instant the last child was no longer directly in front of them, they launched HARD, illegally passing us and several others in their bid to be First. Unbelievable!!

The race continued towards the gates, and as far as we could determine, all but two trucks turned to the east at the first one as was our plan.
    Position 8 (?) at this point.
    At the first road south, only two carried on east, the rest running hard towards the newly opened areas to the south. Position 3.
    At the critical intersection that followed, both rigs in front of us continued east. Excellent. Position One!

We decided to hit our vantage point rather than roll right up on where we thought the Big Bulls might be.
    Upon arrival there, our hearts immediately sank.
    They there were, most feeding contentedly, some lying down, all just shy of being sky-lined about 1100 yards into the Sanctuary.
    Hmmm...
    As we sat watching, a literal parade soon wandered down the road below and between us and the bulls. Once again we marveled how they simply did not seem to see that herd, as they all continued south at a pretty good pace without slowing. The elk seemingly paid no attention to that intrusion, likely recognizing they were entirely safe where they now stood. We continued our vigil for perhaps another hour, until the last of the Big Boys wandered over the top, deeper into the Sanctuary, and forever out of our hopes and aspirations.

It's Over I mumbled. But what the hell, let's go do a tour of the "new" areas they opened up today. If nothing else we will get to see some territory we haven't looked at yet. Decision made, we rolled slowly southwards into new-to-us terrain. Along the way we took advantage of numerous high points to engage our powerful optics and sweep the vistas for sighs of life. More groups of antelope. Mulies, and for whatever reason, quite a bit less spooky down here than the northern areas. The coyotes however reacted as if we were the Four Horsemen intent on doing them great harm, and streaked away immediately upon every sighting. And tracks. Elk tracks...

Guess he got to Know me