Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Suffield Alberta - The Prairie Elk Experience

Re: Suffield Alberta - The Prairie Elk Experience

In the past I've taken part in both the CFB Wainwright hunt and the winter hunt around Waterton lake national park. Great hunts but a relocation program of excess animals might benefit a lot more people in a lot more areas.....
    Last edited by hawk-i; 11-27-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
    quite a few of the elk have crossed the river and are reeking havoc between the river and the Sask border.
    They end up pissing on the hay stacks and the cattle wont go near them.
    There are a lot less on the base and the hunts are definately harder to be successful.
    the hunts outside the base are better
    "reeking havoc"...

Just think about that....

These ranchers simply have to do like many others have done, fence in their haystacks.

Ranchers in southern Alberta have had a 100+ years of Elk free existence since market hunters and settling Ranchers eliminated all the wildlife.

It is time for Elk and other wildlife to have a turn again to prosper on this Land.

Dont disagree with you on that
    Most of the "lease holders" seem to think they own the land not lease it.
    Last edited by Blacktail; 11-27-2019 at 05:29 PM.
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    By your comment you clearly don’t know that area at all lol

Judging from the link.....wildlife friendly fencing is allowing the elk to go where ever they want. There are too many elk on publicly leased grazing areas meaning the cattle have to compete with the elk for feed.......BooHoo, poor ranchers. I agree with what others have said....ranchers won’t be happy until all the elk are gone.

Elk are an issue anywhere they are abundant in ranching/farming country. Most jurisdictions have programs in place to assist ranchers with fencing off hay areas. Unfortunately my experience has been that a lot fo the ranchers who have problems seem reluctant to allow hunting. Not all, but quite a few.

I sure miss my buddy that I put in the draws with in Alberta. He decided to retire to a warm place a long ways from Canada and that was the end of my Alberta hunts for deer and speed goats. What was he thinking??

Im sure the Elk that eat Joe Farmers Hay don't make Joe Farmer very Happy, But theres the issue of damages to fencing that i recall when it made the news on TV years ago. Now Joe Farmer has to do a round-up of his cattle that have got out.
    I have wondered why they never put Bison on the base , Its just as natural area to them as it is to the Elk. Maybe because they would have to put up a higher fence ? Maybe their more aggressive to those who get close?
    A little off topic but why you can't take pictures of the Elk you harvested where it lays always got me on this particular hunt. Driving around the Suffield base its pretty much flat or rolling hills of nothingness...You can also check it out on Google earth. They let you unload your animal by the check station for a pic then reload it and head for home..
    Now that the numbers are possibly down around the 2000 mark , maybe theres hope it can become a quality hunt in the future.
    You can burn a lot of boot leather on foot to locate them and to me thats more what a real hunt is all about....

I did Range Control at CFB Suffield for a year in 1990. It was a blast. Took us 12 hours in a brand new Chev 4x4 to do our tour for the day. Good times.

Longwalker i can't imagine the Big Mulies and Antelope Bucks you would have seen on the base working there. Did they have the horses on there back in those days.