Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw, what do you use for camp?

Re: Chainsaw, what do you use for camp?

I have a STIHL MS 250, cant imagine having anything smaller unless it's just not in your budget...

Fall of 2014, hunting up past Merritt, had a crazy wind storm...

Had not one but two mature trees blow down across the road out...

With that size saw, no problem...

The OP asked about a camp saw which to me means compact. I use an old Stihl 099, has a 14" blade and lots of power, enough to run a 3/8 chain and has no problem cutting through 12" logs.
    Like I said nice and compact, small enough to use one handed for limbing.
    Bought it off of CL for $125.00 but I had to wait a while for the right saw to come up.

i have a 41 husky i pack on my quad for the odd sapling thats in my way . if i cut fire wood a stihl 660 do`s the trick .
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

Quote Originally Posted by Lugg View Post
    Just though of of something else. What are the legalities of felling trees for camp fires while camping on crown land. I'll go google it now but figured I'd ask here.
    Others might disagree, but I think if you have to worry about a ticket for cutting firewood for camp, you're camping too close to home.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    I cut for money and run Stihl. Nothing against Husky; I've ran 'em and fall with guys who run' em, basically comes down to a matter of personal preference. They both flat out work. Just retired another 461 Stihl after 26 months of full time use; 7hrs/day, 5 days/week and the bastid still runs like a champ, just everything else like clutch, oiler, handles etc. are worn out.

I would personally avoid the nonprofessional saws in both lineups, as they're built to a price point, not to last. If you really want a Barbie saw, then fill your boots, but don't pout when it shites the bed, and it will shite the bed....

Run good/fresh gas(Way further ahead to mix small quantities a few times a season)
    Good mix oil(Husky XP is what I use, as it is semi synthetic and has fuel stabilizer)
    If you're saw isn't gonna be used for awhile, empty the tank and run the saw until it stalls, unless you like paying for carb kits annually.
    Stihl or Husky chain oil, as it is super tacky and sticks to the bar/chain like snot to a school boys sleeve.
    Pack an extra chain and SHARP files of appropriate diameter. If you must run a dull chain, and it does happen occasionally, DO NOT run it wide open, it WILL take years off the saws life.
    there you go boys...from the horses mouth...don't cheap out ,geta pro grade saw learn to keep it sharp and maintained.,if you need to stack wood yrly get a pair of leather chapes and a wrap handle installed..do so me mods to the saw if it floats yur boat and keep the rpm's high...keep the bar outta the dirt and your good to good
    looking forward to this springs harvest...

takla

I bought an MS170 before last season and it's been great. Perfect size, and so far it's been up to any task I ask of it. As for long term, if other reviews can be trusted it should keep ticking for years to come.

I got mine, a hardcase, extra chain, and 6pack of oil for $189 plus tax. Shop around, deals do exist on the smaller stuff.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

I've packed around my little Husky 141 for a lot of years. It's a small saw that I bought over 10 years ago and it's never let me down.
    It's nice and light and cuts lots of firewood for all our camping/fishing/hunting trips every year, and clears the occasional blowdown too.

If you are looking for a saw that you are going to use to cut lots more wood, bigger trees etc....I would definitely opt for one of the professional grade saws in either Husky or Stihl. Pricier for sure, but a good investment and I think worth the money!
    RiverOtter's posts are bang on I'd say.

I use a 345 husky for quad/camp unless I'm camping for more than a long weekend. For the longer trips I use a 257 or 365 husky for firewood.

Well boys I went down this road before and here is my storey. I live in a small town which sell both makes. The stihl dealer is a person my company does business with so that's where I did my shopping. I bought the ms180 at the time and the dealer said it would be fine for what I was doing. Took it out camping that weekend. I found it to be very under powered. Brought t back that Monday and dealer gladly gave me all my money back. Bought the pro grade 250 instead. Night and day difference. This was nearly 8 years ago. The 250 has never failed me once. Always starts and runs great. I have done nothing to it then keep it sharp and put gas in it. Have never emptied the gas tank in the winter. It just works. To do it again I would have bought the next size up.

Should add, my "camp" saw is a 260, the predecessor to the 261. I opted a 20" replaceable tip bar, but for those wanting compactness, something in the 16" range might be more to your liking.