Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw, what do you use for camp?

Re: Chainsaw, what do you use for camp?

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    My old Husqvarna has always started well... and my smaller Echo... two brands that have always started easier than the Stilhs I have owned...
    Echo's...really ..compared to a new Stihl 361??you haven't used many chainsaws..lol
    \ takla

For cutting campfire wood and to keep in a truck the 170 is all you need, use premium gas and fresh fuel.
    Must remember to lock it up in your truck, I've lost two saws from theives in my truck and shop. First thing to go is the cute saw in the carrying case. I've painted and uglyfied my third saw, runs great looks like crap. Nobody takes it now

Super replies so far. Thank you.

Just though of of something else. What are the legalities of felling trees for camp fires while camping on crown land. I'll go google it now but figured I'd ask here.

Im under the assumption we can only use trees that have been left over from logging or have fallen over.

I use a stihl ms 250, use it for 3-4 cords of wood a year, camping andi will hike it around and clear trails as well... I like it. not to heavy for walking and just enough power for almost everything as long as you keep it sharp.
    Rule # 1 No talking about undies. yours or anyone elses.

Thumbs up Re: Chainsaw, what do you use for camp?

Husky 455 Rancher - All the saw you'll ever need.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Don't eliminate the Dolmer chain saw.Pretty wicked saw.It'll keep up to the Husky & the Stihl.

I have a 1983 Husky 61. First repairs I had the saw shop do this year was a carb kit.

look at the size of the wood you will be cutting. You may say 10 or 12 inch, but what about the 20 inch tree that blows over when you are hunting behind it.

Better to have a medium saw that will work easy, rather than going teeny weeny and running the hell out of it..

just like a rifle, it's a lifetime purchase. Don't cheap out
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Stihl 361 pro grade will cost you around 800.00...youll buy it and use it to fill your woodshed ever yr and it will eat wood making your job easy.
    Buy a good wood kit with a few files/handles, and learn to keep it sharp.Get a few wedges for falling in the direction you need.Ive cut everything from maple/birch/alder and Moose ribs and backbone.put 25 yrs on it and pass it down to your first born..he'll get another 25 yrs out of it
    takla

I cut for money and run Stihl. Nothing against Husky; I've ran 'em and fall with guys who run' em, basically comes down to a matter of personal preference. They both flat out work. Just retired another 461 Stihl after 26 months of full time use; 7hrs/day, 5 days/week and the bastid still runs like a champ, just everything else like clutch, oiler, handles etc. are worn out.

I would personally avoid the nonprofessional saws in both lineups, as they're built to a price point, not to last. If you really want a Barbie saw, then fill your boots, but don't pout when it shites the bed, and it will shite the bed....

Run good/fresh gas(Way further ahead to mix small quantities a few times a season)
    Good mix oil(Husky XP is what I use, as it is semi synthetic and has fuel stabilizer)
    If you're saw isn't gonna be used for awhile, empty the tank and run the saw until it stalls, unless you like paying for carb kits annually.
    Stihl or Husky chain oil, as it is super tacky and sticks to the bar/chain like snot to a school boys sleeve.
    Pack an extra chain and SHARP files of appropriate diameter. If you must run a dull chain, and it does happen occasionally, DO NOT run it wide open, it WILL take years off the saws life.

Your personal safety aside, no one with half a clue will cuss you for falling a dead tree on crown land. Keeping in mind that Larch shed their needles annually, as well as hardwoods, though there is no such thing as a standing dry birch, poplar, cottonwood etc. anyway as they rot before they'll ever dry.