Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS for people without GPS (but with a smartphone)

GPS for people without GPS (but with a smartphone)

Cliffs
    -You can use the GPS antenna in your smart phone (iphone or android) to have full GPS functionality in no service area's
    -I use the Gaia GPS app for iphone but it is avail for android as well
    -Maps of area of interest have to be pre saved prior to going out of service area for GPS to funtion
    -Maps include layers of topo and sat view
    -Way more routes shown than BC backroads mapbooks
    -Can get it to show fastest route from one point to another even in backroads area's.

I recently posted a reply to someone who was on a budget and looking for a GPS unit. The one he was looking at I personally disliked. Since then I decided to see if there wasn't another better alternative for people to use GPS but not have to pay for a unit.

Smartphones have a GPS antenna but in 'out of service' area's they don't seem to work.

I downloaded the Gaia GPS app (I paid $30) on the app store.

I then selected the map area that I needed in Canada (should work worldwide but Canada/USA for sure) and selected the layers (I downloaded all of them including the sat view) and waited for it to save. I then named the map for the FSR that I was planning on trying out the app in.

I also bought a backroads mapbook in case things didn't work out.

I created waypoints as well as a plotted route (you draw a straight line from where you want to start to your end point and it will overlay it on the backroads for you) which was super useful as the area was a mess of FSR's setting off of the main one.

Going into the back country the familiar out of service was seen on the phone for the entire duration of the trip but the GPS worked flawlessly. I was able to track my route, set breadcrumbs and see exactly where I was on the map at all times.

The best part was it didn't eat up the phone battery the way I thought it would. I used it on and off during the entire day and had battery power left over.

Seeing as most people bring their smart phone with them normally this is super useful as you can do away with a device easily. This would work just as well for hikers going off the grid (which I also did and tested) as people just trying to find their way through FSR's and back.

If anything this was easier to use than the Garmin unit I had before (and returned) and the screen was bigger and the entire unit was much much quicker.

For reference I use this on an iphone 6SE but I am certain it would work fine on earlier models.

So if you're like me and want to save a buck, or set up a redundant GPS system with the one you currently use- this has got to be the cheapest and best way to do it.

Given the topo/sat views it was very easy to see and zoom in at all times on the area I was in as well as check out nearby area's without going there first and knowing roughly what it would look like. Made scouting a new area for me a lot quicker for sure.

Hopefully this helps someone. Let me know if there are any questions. I am still playing around with it but it has never crashed or done anything weird and had much much more detail and backroads shown than the bc mapbook did and it was nice to see exactly where I was at all times.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: GPS for people without GPS (but with a smartphone)

So I imagine,with no reception it doesn't eat your data either? Do you know if it would use data while out of service or not? Because now the cheaper alternative is costing you monthly, while in use.

I believe that data costs only when on a network and not while only hooked up to satellites that was what I was told.

Good tips above!

I have been using the Hunt Buddy app, and its awesome. I bought the map package and download the section I plan to hunt, in case im out of cell reception in that particular area (usually the case). I also hit the "Record Track" section when I get out and hike. It has saved me a few times when I have got turned around. Also a handy feature for driving into FSRs that continue to fork, so you dont get lost. Great for marking waypoints for places you spot game, or sign etc.

Pretty inexpensive but super useful tool!

Good post.
    Thx

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Phone GPS is not all that great.
    The problem is that phone batteries last only a day, two at the max.
    And typically you can't even have a spare battery anymore.
    So I bought E-trex 20 and carry spare batteries for a week.
    Much better option.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Phone GPS is not all that great.
    The problem is that phone batteries last only a day, two at the max.
    And typically you can't even have a spare battery anymore.
    So I bought E-trex 20 and carry spare batteries for a week.
    Much better option.
    Try something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01FF9REDQ

Some of them work pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by AgSilver View Post
    Try something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01FF9REDQ

Some of them work pretty well.

Looks pretty good.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I usually carry one like that as well as two of the smaller cylindrical ones (3 pack at Costco was about $30) that are good for about a single phone charge. Plus, my phone is in a "battery case" where the case is a backup battery that's good for about 1.5 charges. I know it's a bit overboard, but it's because I rely pretty heavily on my phone as my GPS while I'm out...use a combination of Hunt Buddy, Gaia, and BRMB as different ones have different visuals/info.

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    I believe that data costs only when on a network and not while only hooked up to satellites that was what I was told.
    This is correct. It does not use any data. There is no downside to this.