Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: winches vs comealongs

winches vs comealongs

I was in a spot the other day and realized if I got stuck back in the mud holes it would be a long hike out got rid of my winch years ago when I bought a new truck and was wondering what type of come alongs guys were using I would like a turfer jack but $$$$ almost the cost of a winch I have looked into a powerpuller from the states which might be more affordable and was looking for other options

2. Site Sponsor

Re: winches vs comealongs

I use a 60" farm jack and 2x25' chain....little elbow grease has got me out of everything...also carry 150' of cable, comes in handy when I can't find a close enough tree/anchor

everything at princess auto cost about 400ish
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

just looked up prices on a tirfor, pricey...

I'd buy a lewis winch before one of those
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

If you get really stuck, a comealong is gonna be maxed out pretty quick.
    You can get good used winches for less $500. I have a warn xd9000i, from Craigslist that came on a winch cradle.
    It attaches to any two Inch receiver. I made custom leads out of a jumper cable and now it just gets thrown into whoevers vehicle needs it.
    That would be my tool of choice plus an axe and a shovel.

I'd go new winch route then search garage sales and look online for a used come along.

I little tip I learned.....if your cable is too short, cut a couple of small trees and tie them in line to extend the reach out... a couple (or more) of 3-4 inchers 15-20 foot long and bob's your uncle

I just ordered the 3-ton Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller with Amsteel blue rope. Ordered it through eBay from the States because the shipping was cost was a bit better. I'm usually out on my own and I think this set up is going to be better than an electric winch fixed to my bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    I little tip I learned.....if your cable is too short, cut a couple of small trees and tie them in line to extend the reach out... a couple (or more) of 3-4 inchers 15-20 foot long and bob's your uncle
    GREAT tip, I won't forget that one.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I had exactly the same feeling as the OP earlier this year. I keep a bunch of things in my truck to bail myself out of a tight spot but I lack a winch/comealong.

I found this at Costco: http://www.costco.ca/Champion-5443-k...100245409.html

I will get a front mount trailer hitch mounted before my next trip out. I hate the steel cable, but don't plan to use this except in emergency.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I,m leaning towards the Wyeth Scott as I also spend a lot of time by myself tirfors are much to pricey