Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .303 vs 30-06

Re: .303 vs 30-06

I had 3 x 300 win mag rifles and sold off all but a ruger m77 mk2 stainless with the zytel stock that I truly love.
    The 06 goes hunting as much as the mag does.
    If I'm hunting big timber clear cuts that extra bit of snot & flat trajectory the mag can deliver helps.
    Both are head over heels above the old 303BR tho the lowly limey round has taken an awful lot of canadian moose over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by pricedo View Post
    I had 3 x 300 win mag rifles and sold off all but a ruger m77 mk2 stainless with the zytel stock that I truly love.
    The 06 goes hunting as much as the mag does.
    If I'm hunting big timber clear cuts that extra bit of snot & flat trajectory the mag can deliver helps.
    Both are head over heels above the old 303BR tho the lowly limey round has taken an awful lot of canadian moose over the years.
    interesting observation on the moose killed by 303......maybe even more moose than people killed by the 303 I bet

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    I love the 30-06. And even if I hated it I would reccomend it over the obsolete 303. Just look at the ballistics, should say it all... That being said I shoot a .300Win mag now, I figure if I'm going to shoot a .308 bullet it might as well be to its full potential... There will never be a day there is not a ott 6 in my safe though.
    Like RackStar, I also shoot .308 Winchester and Weatherby rimmed .....
    Am liking my old M70 Featherweight 30-06 with a Leupold Compact fixed 6X ..... more and more these days. Just nice to pack.
    The old .311's aren't comparable ....... but, they and the 30-30 Winchester have accounted for a staggering amount of game ...... and will continue to do so.

30-06 - full stop. That is all you need. A .303 is okay and it has probably harvested more moose/deer meat than any other cartridge in Canada but it is very dated and most rifles are quite old and will 'tend' to be more inaccurate. You will be able to get 30-06 and 303 ammo equally well but a 30-06 will serve you better across bullet weight range and being able to tailor your needs to what you hunt.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    interesting observation on the moose killed by 303......maybe even more moose than people killed by the 303 I bet
    The current world record was taken near Dawson City with a 303 British.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

I have rifles in both calibers and I shoot them a lot. Either one will serve you well. Like most who have replied to this thread my vote goes with the 30-06. There are many reasons why every major manufacturer of hunting rifles chambers one or more of their rifles in this caliber. It is an immensely popular caliber amongst hunters and you can get ammo with 130 grain to 200 grain bullets and some ammo with premium bullets.

The last time the 303 British was chambered in a commercial hunting rifle was the Ruger Number 1 just a few years back and it was a limited production run. Very hard to find anything other than 180 grain bullets unless you hand load. But in reality, for moose, deer and elk, a 180 grain pill from a 303 will work just fine if you do your part.

Don't shy away from a 303 if you find one you really like and one that you shoot well. It is a fine caliber and as the post above noted, the current world record moose was taken with a 303 British.
    Semper in excretum altum

Slight de-rail ....... apologies.

Elwood Epps from Ontario was making beautiful rifles from the Enfields .... machined the extra metal off, and combined with a one piece stock ...... gorgeous rifles!
    I believe they were a .311 with a very large case .....

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Slight de-rail ....... apologies.

Elwood Epps from Ontario was making beautiful rifles from the Enfields .... machined the extra metal off, and combined with a one piece stock ...... gorgeous rifles!
    I believe they were a .311 with a very large case .....
    I presume you're talking about the man & master gunsmith Ellwood Epps and not the store.
    I think old Ellwood passed away in 2002.
    He sold the Orillia, Ontario store sometime before that.
    Unfortunately they don't make gunsmiths like old Ellwood any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    30-06 - full stop. That is all you need. A .303 is okay and it has probably harvested more moose/deer meat than any other cartridge in Canada but it is very dated and most rifles are quite old and will 'tend' to be more inaccurate. You will be able to get 30-06 and 303 ammo equally well but a 30-06 will serve you better across bullet weight range and being able to tailor your needs to what you hunt.
    We gotta get a list of those "dated" rounds posted on the trees for the modern day moose to read because they still insist on curling up and dying when shot with them.
    My nephew borrowed dads old made in 1949 winchester model 94 in 30-30 from me and dropped a beautiful bull moose in kapuskasing ontario in the fall of 2012 first day out with 1 shot thru the lungs with an equally lowly 170 grain core-lokt factory cartridge.
    I had other modern caliber firearms to offer him for the trip but he wanted to hunt with gramps old gun because he and my dad were together when he shot his first deer with that rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by pricedo View Post
    We gotta get a list of those "dated" rounds posted on the trees for the modern day moose to read because they still insist on curling up and dying when shot with them.
    My nephew borrowed dads old made in 1949 winchester model 94 in 30-30 from me and dropped a beautiful bull moose in kapuskasing ontario in the fall of 2012 first day out with 1 shot thru the lungs with an equally lowly 170 grain core-lokt factory cartridge.
    I had other modern caliber firearms to offer him for the trip but he wanted to hunt with gramps old gun because he and my dad were together when he shot his first deer with that rifle.
    And an SKS will drop a moose, as a recent thread established. That's not what the OP asked and not what Ltbullken was saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..