Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .303 vs 30-06

Re: .303 vs 30-06

I have both and reload for both. Love my 303 PH. Great gun, fun to shoot, reasonable accuracy for a sporter conversion gun, but my 06 has a much flatter bullet trajectory so much more confident with longer shots with it. My 2c.

As its been said before on here happiness is a large drain hole.

I don't shoot either one, but for all sorts of reasons, go with the 30-06

Thanks for all the input guys. As I said, I was pretty settled on the 30-06 previously. I've shot one before and it's no big deal. I am just curious if anyone had had hunted with both. Or at least fired both and can compare them from experience.

I did things very different than the 30-06 lovers did. It's a great all around calibre, but not fantastic for longer shots on Moose or Deer. Here's what I did. I went with two very flat shooting rifles that are appropriate for the animals I intended them for. I use a 25-06 for Deer and a 300wsm for Moose and Elk, each set up is solid out to 400 yards with minimal bullet drop.
    Sometimes she goes, sometimes she don't go. That's just the way she goes Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by Paulyman View Post
    I did things very different than the 30-06 lovers did. It's a great all around calibre, but not fantastic for longer shots on Moose or Deer. Here's what I did. I went with two very flat shooting rifles that are appropriate for the animals I intended them for. I use a 25-06 for Deer and a 300wsm for Moose and Elk, each set up is solid out to 400 yards with minimal bullet drop.
    Or you could use a .375 for everything.

Between the .303 and 30-06, I advise the 30-06. Every cartridge has its good and bad points, and if you don't mind fewer bullet choices and shorter effective range, that Parker-Hale might work for you. It might also be just a fun gun or a guest gun, because it's good to keep a spare. But as per the OP, most HBCers suggest a 30-06 would be the wisest choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

30-06. Forget the 303 -- it might have been a contender in 1925 but it is effectively obsolete now. Sure if you have one it will kill animals, but I would steer clear of it otherwise. As for picking up some 'cheap' gun (i.e. that shoots 303 or other), my advice is 'don't'. You will end up investing all kinds of time and money into making any gun 'yours', and you will be far better off investing that time and money in something that is worth it, not something that is basically a third rate piece of equipment like an old army 303. You don't need to spend the world on a good piece of equipment -- a Tikka or a Winchester M70, for example, will deserve your attentions and last for as long as you want to shoot it.

I have taken deer with both no problem but feel a little more potent when aiming on a moose or other big game that isn't in a perfect shooting position with the -06

Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    30-06. Forget the 303 -- it might have been a contender in 1925 but it is effectively obsolete now. Sure if you have one it will kill animals, but I would steer clear of it otherwise. As for picking up some 'cheap' gun (i.e. that shoots 303 or other), my advice is 'don't'. You will end up investing all kinds of time and money into making any gun 'yours', and you will be far better off investing that time and money in something that is worth it, not something that is basically a third rate piece of equipment like an old army 303. You don't need to spend the world on a good piece of equipment -- a Tikka or a Winchester M70, for example, will deserve your attentions and last for as long as you want to shoot it.

Hey this is really good to hear. I guess I was mostly think about the advice "spend money on the glass not on the gun".

I love the 30-06. And even if I hated it I would reccomend it over the obsolete 303. Just look at the ballistics, should say it all... That being said I shoot a 300win mag now, I figure if I'm going to shoot a 308 bullet it mine as well be to its full potential... There will never be a day there is not a ott 6 in my safe though.