Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How young to start?

How young to start?

A little background I'm going to start hunting hopefully this season coming up more than likely starting out with taking grouse with a recurve bow. My plan is to have my sons who will be 7 and 3 and our chocolate lab.

My my question is for those who've exposed youngsters to hunting how young did you start them and do you have any advice for me? They've both been exposed to trudging through the bush and my oldest has been fishing since he was 3 and my youngest caught his first fish at 2.
    they are super excited to hunt as am I being that I've been waiting three decades to do it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How young to start?

I think you already know the answer. With your boys already being introduced to fishing at a young age, there is no reason hunting cannot be the same. Make it fun, and call it a day when things get boring. Bring a shotgun for grouse, and the necessities to cook one. Kids love grouse, and are always hungry. Take them on hikes that they can handle, but don't drag them around the bush. Drive a little, hike a little. Bring a fishing rod for the afternoons when things are slow and the animals are laying low. Most importantly, teach them the ethics of a respected hunter, along with the conservation of wildlife.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

^^^^^^there's your answer...I take my little guy out, he's 3, though usually he's too loud on the hikes to actually get anything lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    I think you already know the answer. With your boys already being introduced to fishing at a young age, there is no reason hunting cannot be the same. Make it fun, and call it a day when things get boring. Bring a shotgun for grouse, and the necessities to cook one. Kids love grouse, and are always hungry. Take them on hikes that they can handle, but don't drag them around the bush. Drive a little, hike a little. Bring a fishing rod for the afternoons when things are slow and the animals are laying low. Most importantly, teach them the ethics of a respected hunter, along with the conservation of wildlife.
    Pretty much what I thought it's good to get a bit of validation from those who've done it already though. Thank you very much for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^^^there's your answer...I take my little guy out, he's 3, though usually he's too loud on the hikes to actually get anything lol...
    both my boys sound like freight trains in the bush I've been working on their stealth and I'm sure eventually they'll be a silent as I am till then I'll let them have fun it's more important to me that this be a positive experience than to actually get anything.

Great advice so far. I've got 3 youngsters all under 10 and put lots of thought towards your question. All three of my kids require a different approach to introduce hunting. Fishing very different - same approach worked for all, make sure there's gonna be action and your good to go. They just want to get in there, see some fish, do some fish-bonking and get slimy. Hunting and action not so easy to make happen. Living where few deer and grouse made it tough. Took 7 yr old on first 'big game trip' two falls ago knowing it was critical (for this kid) that I get it right. The younger two have stronger serial killer genes (sorry if that offends anybody, just not sure how else to describe it). Anyways, planned it all out - 3 days of hunting, invited his good buddy (and buddy's dad), one truck and shortest drive possible with DVDs, A&W stop, jet boat access - all fun. Really was a camping trip with friends with no expectations. After boys went to sleep on first night had a couple pops with other dad by fire and then did a couple locator bugles. Got woken up by a screaming 5 pt 30 yards from our tent! 45 minutes later that bull was still screaming at us at legal shooting time and 15 minutes later a 6 point's curiosity got the best of him. Was I ever glad to have both buddy's together after that. Pretty overwhelming for them to see that big bull down but they encouraged each other through it and we had a great time. Took them out next day - had two boys with me and other dad was down wind shooter. Had them each on a cow call with me teaching how/when, lots of fun. Even called in a couple spikers in thick bush. Brought junk food, fishing rods and stayed up late. Not to freak you out, but that elk trip was the catalyst to pack up and move the clan to the EK. Want my 3 boys to be raised with deer/elk hunting. We were all together last fall doing a road hunt, seen game, had a supper campfire with hot dogs and s'mores, and mom took a nice WT buck on way home - special times. Three boys helped me clean quarters on my 6 pt in the pole barn - were getting there! Your asking yourself the right things, just make sure you consider the differences in your kids and taylor approach accordingly.

Couple other notes - bought an ameristep blind for deer which we will place once I figure out decent spots. Kids can do games, snacks, etc. Something for you to consider - but location is critical, gotta hopefully see something. We will also try using it for turkey this spring which boys seem just wired about chasing... I don't mind, gotta go with the flow! Part of it is we made homemade twig bows this fall and they want feathers to make they're own arrows. We all shoot 'real' bows on 3D targets in back yard, but twig bows are keeping archery fun for them. On that note - any EK folks that don't chase merriams but can help us with locations it would be sure appreciated. Don't care about size, any Tom will do.

Consider a .22 for grouse. Not as loud as the shotgun and you'll have a much better chance at taking them compared to the recurve.

Plus the kids can shoot it and practice

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorse View Post
    Consider a .22 for grouse. Not as loud as the shotgun and you'll have a much better chance at taking them compared to the recurve.
    Unfortuantly firearms are not in my future as my wife is very anti-gun. I'm a traditional archery kinda guy anyway the eventual goal is to take game with a self made bow and arrows.