Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help guide me towards the best bow for me

Re: Help guide me towards the best bow for me

I bought my Bear Attack a few years ago from Georgia also, seemed like a good deal, it was a RTS package. I still shoot and hunt a bit with it but the one thing you will find.... It comes with very basic parts, you'll want a better sight, release, stabilizer etc. I never changed it out, I am going to sell my package with the case and the new carbon arrows I have for it and buy a new one. So, I think it's best to buy a good set up locally, pay a bit more initially and you won't waste time and money upgrading parts. I love my Bear Compound though, has been great to me for 4 years.

BUY LOCAL This is your first bow. First time shooting one. Way too many variables to be guessing at what you need. We have lots of decent shops this side of the border. Go to a reputable shop and get expert advice and service. Shoot before buying. You said you only want to buy once.

buy a used Mathews one cam bow..... all they got is shorter and to fussy in the last 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    Pse stands behind there work and has the best customer service
    Since when???

Never has my expiriance with PSE cust support been mediorcre let alone the best ever
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Your about 6 feet tall ... I would look at the longer ATA as opposed to shorter

33-35/36" ATA would make for a great hunting bow for a 29 " draw ... any shorter you begin to look at nock pinch on the string angle and inconsistancy

I personally wouldnt look at any bow you have listed simply because they are not known for consistancy ... but if all your looking to do is hit a 9" pie plate at 40 ish yards max ... those will do it. and they will effectively harvest animals if you do your job
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

I wouldn't plan on starting to shoot at 70lbs. If you're strong or not. That's a quick way to develop bad form. That being said I started that way.. My shooting got a lot better when I practiced at a lower draw weight. Anyways , welcome in advance to the world of Bowhunting. There's no going back!
    Last edited by NorBC; 01-30-2016 at 03:26 PM.
    Thunderstick Moab hybrid longbow T/D 58" 52#@28". Jim Reynolds
    Crow Creek Crow Mag hybrid longbow 3/pc 60" 51#@28". Elmer Patton

Field editor @ Journal of Mountain Hunting

As most have said, shoot each bow before you decide, see what feels good to YOU! Also, local pro shop is hands down the best option. I'll personally never buy archery tackle from anyone but Jim Bow.
    One point to remember is that even though you likely will be able to pull 70# no problem, higher weight is more likely to cause you to develop bad form. 60# is also more than enough to kill any north american game (gators excluded) it's all about shot placement!!

Edit: I shoot a Bowtech Assasin and to me it feels better than some much more expensive bows I tried

Where are you located? The Langley WSS has a Bear empire 60# right hand in AP snow for just over $500. If that is all I wanted to spend I would get it. If I wasn't worried about the extra $200 I would grab the Arena 34. The arena 34 is only an inch shorter than the Anarchy and 5 fps faster.

I was just at the Langley WSS. I ignored everyone and purchased online because like most people I like to dig my own grave before I believe someone else. I know I probably shouldn't have done it, but I got overwhelmed by opinions and the costs at the local bow shops. I just got a ready to shot package that includes everything to start. I am having it set at a 29" draw length and at a 60 lb draw weight to start. To get the Bear 2014 Anarchy HC brand new with a 5 pin sight, arrow rest, stabilizer, release, peep sight, quiver and 4 arrows (there are also some cheap broadheads included) for $650 CND was too inexpensive for me to pass up. In the end I just couldn't spend the money to buy local. I might have made a mistake, but I like taking risks. Hopefully it goes ok!

Not a mistake. That is a good deal. The Anarchy HC is a really good shooter. Like I said it is basically the Arena 34 but an inch longer. Both of my previous Bears I bought online and unseen. It is a bit of a gamble but Bear bows seem to fit me like a glove.... So not too much of a gamble. I am sure you will love the bow.