Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help guide me towards the best bow for me

Re: Help guide me towards the best bow for me

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    What kind of release? Some are adjustable. I have a scott release that I can adjust so light that it will not stay closed without pressure on the back of it. There is a tiny hex screw in the release that contacts the trigger to set how far you pull it to release. My trufire is a better design in my mind and has a spring inside that adjusts trigger pressure. It is adjusted by turning a collar to increase or decrease spring tension. To be safe always draw with your finger behind the trigger. When I release I rest the second crease of my finger on the trigger and pull hard into the wall using back muscles while relaxing my hand, as I relax my hand it sinks into my wriststrap and my finger sets the trigger off giving me a good surprise release.
    There is no name on the release. I am sure it is a Chinese copy or unbranded it has no adjustment. I just took it apart. May just need to buy one, but I will try with it having my finger behind the trigger

VERY good practice to ALWAYS draw with your finger behind the trigger.

In my opinion an index finger release should never be set at a very light setting. It breeds the desire/need to command shoot (punch) the trigger. As foxtail explained a much better way to fire the release is to be able to apply some pressure to the trigger before it releases and pull through the shot until it fires basically unexpectedly. A surprise shot is ideal. Punching the trigger can work OK until it doesn't. It can turn into target panic pretty easy and then life gets tough. Also when you punch the trigger on command, (drive by) your misses will be much larger. With proper form and release execution you will find that your misses and bad shots will be far less "bad". Being a good shot in archery is more about managing your bad shots than making good shots. Everyone can hit the bullseye once in awhile but when your bad shots miss by an inch instead of 6 inches you will find scores (target archery) will skyrocket and wounded animals (hunting) will be far less likely
    Last edited by Shooter; 02-13-2016 at 06:02 PM.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

I gave my Scott to my brother and got myself a thumb release and use my trufire as a backup... I would give you my trufire if I didn't lose or forget my thumb release half the time... Turns out a backup is important lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    I gave my Scott to my brother and got myself a thumb release and use my trufire as a backup... I would give you my trufire if I didn't lose or forget my thumb release half the time... Turns out a backup is important lol.
    Do you find that your POI changes between an index release and a thumb? I did.

The thumb release is easier to lever against your anchor which is not good. But I am shooting pretty well with it now that I am used to it and put a lanyard on it. You really have to have a relaxed hand which is tough with a speed bow with minimal valley. I can switch back and forth now with no poi change.

Hi Everyone
    I thought I'd just keep asking questions on this thread as opposed to starting a new one for everything. I was naive I supposed to believe that I would be able to just hit the target right off and sighting in would be a snap. I have worked out the proper grip now. I finally have the bow positioned against my hand in a manner that feels right and I can draw back without holding the bow. I now need to sight in the bow properly, but I realize this is going to be more difficult than I imagined. I broke one arrow by missing my target from 20 yards. What would you guys suggest for a beginner? Should I buy 6 hay bales and build a wall behind the target? Any other ideas? Thanks

Start very close to your target. Five yards is more than enough to start sighting in.

I can pretty much dial in a new bow in my basement then move outside to set centre rest and final yardage.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

You shouldn't try to sight in until you can get some kind of grouping at 20 yds, minimum 3" to 4" groups to start. then I would only move the whole site so your 20 yd pin sort of works for you. You need to fly many arrows and accept the process and have fun with it. Shoot with your buddies and watch some you tube videos.

Don't kill yourself trying to sight in for now. Start at 10 yards and adjust so that you are hitting basically where you want to. Stay at 10 yards if you feel comfortable there but if groups are tight then move back to 20. Don't worry too much if you aren't perfectly sighted in at 20 yards, just keep practicing until groups are better. Once you can shoot good constantly tight groups then focus on getting sighted in perfectly. I have seen many many people that spend more time tinkering with sights chasing their tails than I care to acknowledge. Another tip for when you are sighting in..... Take a piece of tape or rope or twine, a marker whatever... and make a horizontal level line to aim at and only worry about sighting in your vertical high and lows. Shoot a 3 arrow group and discount shots that you know weren't good, only count the good ones. Move the sight to center the GROUP over the line. Then do the same for lefts and rights with a vertical line. It is much easier to focus on holding the bow only level in one direction at a time. Once you are sighted in at 20 yards practice practice practice. There will more than likely be more to sighting the bow in at longer distances than just moving the sight. There are some things that you will need to check to ensure that your center shot is set correct to get an accurate long range sight in. So just worry about getting good at 20 for now and ask again when ready to sight in further and I will explain a walk back tune to you to dial in your center shot.
    Last edited by Shooter; 02-15-2016 at 10:26 AM.