Thread: Fraser Valley Goose

Fraser Valley Goose

Iv iv noticed most new posters on HBC start with a joke to introduce themselves. Although I am not much of a comedian, il give it a go:

"What do you call a bear with no teeth? .... A gummy bear!"

Fewf now that that's over!

A little bit about myself, I live in mission and iv been big game hunting since I can remember and just started hunting Duck two seasons ago now. By no means do I consider myself a professional at all, or even close to. But i did have some good success this season for the limited experience i do have in waterfowling. It sure helps to be able to read these posts, and see the tips and info given by you folks. So I thank you for that.

That leads me to my Question then: Can anyone give any suggestions or tips on late season goose hunt around mission Abbotsford area?

The area I usually hunt out here dosnt seem to hold these late season geese, and iv done lots of waterfowling out in delta, but iv been told the late season goose hunt is mostly in the fraser valley. I'm not sure if there's any public land in the area to hunt that does hold geese. Iv been looking at my special area map lots, and doing some scouting. But sometimes a little shove in the right direction is helpful. As well as any tips on how these birds act late season to calling and decoys.

My brother posted on here about being new to waterfowling, and he got himself some good advice and a great sounding duck call from shells custom calls. So I figured what's the worst that can happen by me asking for a little advice on the topic, no replys?? Haha

Thank you for reading,

Jay

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fraser Valley Goose

Welcome Jay;

Do you have access to fields or private farms that you can hunt ? just because the areas that you hunt dont hold geese doesnt mean you can't get some birds on the ground.

I have access to a few fields that some buddies and I hunt and not one of them hold ducks or geese. Yet we've had multiple days this year where we've limited on ducks and have a few honkers come in as well as they fly over this area.

Do you have goose decoys or a call? i would suggest picking up some dekes and a flute to get you started. Even though i've found spring goose can be a bit harder to get some birds we usually get a couple good days in and as always slow days too.

If you dont want to spend too much and want a bigger spread take a look at some silhouettes online and maybe go with a pack or 2 of those vs 6 full bodies for 300$. Even though nothing beats a fully flocked decoy IMO i have seen sillhouettes work wonders on geese before as it creates the illusion of geese moving as they disappear and appear from view. As well not too easy packing in a couple dozen full bodies if you cant drive close to where your hunting.

Your best bet would be to check the fields or areas you hunt and see if they are migrating over in the morings and evenings. If you can see them then honk on that flute or call until your blue in the face and try and draw them your direction to come take a look. Once they show interest this is where maybe someone on here with more experience can chime in as i'm still new to waterfowl as well.

One area we hunt we can always see geese way out in the distance and no where near our field, basically i start hammering on that call and try and get their attention which at times works. They come to investigate and with a few clucks and honks we've pulled them from 30 fields over into one they never land in and boom boom end up with a few on the ground.

Bascally what im saying is just because you dont have them feeding in the areas you hunt doesnt mean you cant get them. If there flying over or within calling distance its always worth a shot to try and pull some in.

Wish you best of luck out there and straight shooting !!

Hello Gone_Fishin_,

My name is Mason and i am Jay's brother. I hunt the Boundary Bay area with my father and we have gotten permission from a farmer to hunt his property. We haven't seen any geese on that property or even any flying over. I have just contacted my step cousin to ask if i could hunt their property. They have over 300 acres and they spray their. I'm sure that it would be full of geese! Do any of you know any farmers in this area that would allow some more hunters to hunt their field? You can PM me or you can PM Jcrowe

Have a good day!
    Mason

Hey Mason, i would highly suggest finding out if you can hunt your cousins fields! the whole Fraser Valley is locked up pretty tight with other hunters and the Fraser Valley Duck and Goose club leasing almost every good pc of property on the flats there. Took us several years to find the 3 fields that we have access to hunt so sorry cant help you out much here as these are pretty full with the 8-10 of us that regularly hunt them during duck season.

If you find some extras though please let me know

Thank you for the advice Gone_Fishin_,

iv been scouting and doing more research, I have a couple calls now and have been practicing lots but no decoys yet. I was looking at the silhouettes online and that seems to be a good option for fairly inexpensive. I have a couple spots in anxious to try and test my luck, hope for the best!

Thanks,

Jay

We have a couple of farms we use as well. But there were existing relationships (non hunting) with the owners with one of the guys.

It is killing me to be in Winnipeg on opening day knowing the guys are already in the field this morning. It is bad enough being in Winnipeg...

But if you have a shot at some access don't hesitate to find you way onto it.