Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildlife groups host town hall to save wild sheep!

Wildlife groups host town hall to save wild sheep!

For Immediate Release

Clinton, B.C. January 2016
    . When wild sheep come into contact with domestic sheep wild sheep die. For nearly a century wild sheep in B.C., and all across North America, have experienced massive die-offs due to interactions between domestic and wild sheep. Domestic sheep, goats and even lamas carry pathogens which they are immune to, but are deadly to wild sheep.

Wild and domestic sheep need to be separated

Domestic sheep no longer graze on crown lands, which historically was a major cause of bighorn sheep population die-offs. Currently most interactions happen on farms adjacent to bighorn sheep range in the fall when wild sheep rut. Parts of B.C. such as the Cariboo, East Kootenay, Okanagan, and Thompson are all areas of high risk. In Northern B.C. Thinhorn sheep are naïve to the pathogen, never having been exposed – the risk of widespread population die-offs is extreme.
    The BC Wildlife Federation, Clinton and District Outdoor Sportsman Association, guide-outfitters of the Thompson, the Wildlife Stewardship Council and the Wild Sheep Society of BC are hosting a town hall in Clinton to educate the public on the risks to wild sheep. Subject matter experts are being brought in to share the history, science and experiences in regards to wild-domestic sheep separation.

Town Hall Meeting: Save Wild Sheep from Deadly Domestic Sheep Pathogens

Where: Clinton Memorial Hall
    306 Lebourdais Avenue
    Clinton, BC
    When: February 7th, 2016 – 7 pm – 9 pm

Background:
    Once a wild sheep contracts the bacteria from domestic sheep they often die within days, but not before passing the bacteria on to other sheep in the population. This can have a cascading effect through adjacent populations which results in wide-scale die-offs. In 1999-2000 a die-off killed approximately 65% of bighorn sheep in the South Okanagan. It often takes a decade or more for sheep populations to recover; some populations never recover.
    The Chasm sheep population has declined from over 110 in the fall of 2013 to 28 animals. Four samples were taken and 50% of the sheep tested positive for the antibodies related to pathogens carried by domestic sheep. There is a history of interaction between domestic and wild sheep in the area and wild sheep have suffered. With other uninfected wild sheep populations both west and east of the Chasm sheep herd the results could be devastating.
    We need your help to protect these local sheep herds, join us and become part of the solution!

Jesse Zeman, Resident Priority Program Manager, BC Wildlife Federation @ (250) 878-3799 or jessezeman@gmail.com
    Michael Schroeder, Director, Wild Sheep Society of BC @ (250) 804-5773 or m.schroeder@shaw.ca

Links

Porter, H. (2014). Bighron Sheep Herd Die-offs in British Columbia: The Need for a Provincial Wild/Domestic Sheep Separation Strategy. University of Victoria: Environmental Law Centre. http://www.wsfab.org/pdfs/disease3.pdf
    Harris, B., Schwantje, H., van Dalfsen, B. (2011). Managing the Risk of Disease Transfer between Wild and Domestic Sheep in the Southern Interior of BC. BC Government. http://www.bcsheep.com/docs/2012/man...stic-sheep.pdf
    Last edited by WSSOBC; 01-26-2016 at 12:52 PM.
    WSSBC Northern Fundraiser
    February 2, 2019
    EnCana Event Center, Dawson Creek

Registration will open fall 2019 online at www.wildsheepsociety.com

WSSBC Convention and Fundraiser
    March 8/9, 2019
    Coast Kamloops Hotel and Convention Center

Registration will open fall 2019 online atwww.wildsheepsociety.com

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wildlife groups host town hall to save wild sheep!

This will be the first of several town hall meetings across the province with a goal of generating awareness around wild/domestic disease. But, we also want to generate action and finally bring a resolution to this issue.
    Disease is the single biggest risk to our sheep herds proven by massive die-offs in the Okanagan, Kootenays and most recently the Chasm herd near Clinton. It limits us from expanding sheep range and improving conditions and carrying capacity of the land for current herds.
    We need to pack the house!
    February 2, 2019

March 8/9, 2019

btt.....................
    February 2, 2019

March 8/9, 2019

great to see this initiative, my understanding the drive to take public the fact that when domestic sheep mix with wild sheep...... wild sheep die is finally going public. After years of seeing the government do absolutely nothing other than watch dwindling herds of wild big horn sheep die, now groups like wild sheep society, bcwf and from what I understand the local guide outfitters and the Wildlife stewardship council are taking the lead. Government doesnt have the ability to affect change, I am sure this partnership does. Great work on the part of WSSBC, BCWF and WSC, glad to see the face of conservation in BC is changing

This problem has been known for many years as stated...However it is a political decision that laws must be changed by Govt ...As a past President of 100 Mile Flyfishers I ran into a problem with the Fisheries head Dr David Narver...I stated that fish have a right to water in a conversation about fish and stocking that we were trying to have improved ...He stated that "no " fish do not have a right to water ...I told him then as Fisheries director he missed his calling and I walked out of the meeting..Some 3 years later... fish had a "right to water"..How does this affect wild sheep?...Easy ...They have a right to not be exposed to Domestic animals that can cause their demise...I.m not legally proficient but the farmers have rights that are enshrined in law that must be revisited and ammendments made to accomodate the safety of wildlife ...We need a Philadelphia lawyer...and our ammagilmation of all interested parties to bring about change for the good...Dennis

Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

It always amazes me when I hear of farmers believing they have the right to graze their animals anywhere they want to.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Or lets just do what Europeans did, just kill all the wild sheep off and then farmers are home free.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

So how'd it go?
    Any "domestic" sheep guys there? Ministry guys?
    I'd hate to think it was just the usual one sided crowd involved.

I wanted to attend but I was sick as hell. Will there be any minutes or presentations linked on the WSSOBC website? This is a great idea!
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."