Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Monte Lake?

Re: Monte Lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Thanks for that update. Now all I have to do is find a source for some maggots. The two places that previously had them have closed their doors
    Stop by the ndp office there loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Stop by the ndp office there loaded.
    Some would say, "That's a low blow".
    You know what I heard today? You'll have to goto that thread in the Politics section.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Don’t know anything about the current ice conditions. But I remember being told by a guy connected to one of the two mills that were located at either end of the lake that the lake was big time contaminated and to not eat the fish. The mills operated there for years and the lack of environmental concerns in the early years of operation was the issue.

My neighbor (he's in my bubble) and I went to Monte this past Saturday. We got there at about 9:45 and quickly set up. Bored a couple of holes, the ice thickness is pretty substantial, about 8". Set the fish finder into one, (which I fished) and he the other. The one thing that we noticed was the clarity of the water, or I should say, the lack of clarity. It had a sandy color to it, although I could just barely make out my flasher to a depth of 10 feet. The finder was showing a few fish on the screen at a depth of 25 to 35 feet, yet we received no strikes, taps or anything to suggest that we had fish on. We decided to depart the lake just after 2PM, Skunked.
    About the water condition, if my memory serves me correct, the one time in early summer that I fished it, the water was quite clouded like Saturday. Much like a lake when it turns over after the ice goes off.
    As far as polluted. I don't think that the sawmills had an effect on the lake water quality. I may be wrong but on the topo maps, it shows a stream coming into the lake on the north-west corner. That is erroneous. That stream actually breaks to the north and is Monte Creek headwater and does not flow into the lake.. The other stream indicated is more or less a catchment of water when the lake is at high water mark. Monte Lake outflow in on the south end and meets with the Salmon River near Westwold.
    A lot of transient RV travelers park at the launch area on the north end of Monte during the summer. It is one thing to go into the bush on the west side of the launch for a whiz, but there are so many landmines laid by this lot of folks that it is totally despicable. The locals there have complained to the government about it, and I too, but the ministry is powerless do act as the property is private property and owned by the person(s) that own the mill.
    I will try it again in the near future.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

That time again. Anyone see anyone fishing on Monte Lake? I was by there a couple of weeks back and the south end had ice but the northern ¾ was open.

A current update would be great!

I drove through on Dec 24 and it was fully frozen and a bunch of guys fishing. Drove back through today and it looks like the lake is wide open. I assume it’s just melted water on top of the ice. But it looks sketchy driving by. There was two guys about 100m from shore so ice must still be thick enough.

bhb
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Thanks for the update. I love ice fishing but not going to push it. Will wait until some conditions improve. Might try pillar lake,

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    I drove through on Dec 24 and it was fully frozen and a bunch of guys fishing. Drove back through today and it looks like the lake is wide open. I assume it’s just melted water on top of the ice. But it looks sketchy driving by. There was two guys about 100m from shore so ice must still be thick enough.

bhb
    This type of ice can be tenuous. The bottom ice probably is strong enough, but the water on top freezes at the surface first but not to the extent of the bottom ice. So it can broken through easily which can cause a weak heart to flutter...or the sphincter muscle to tighten for a week creating constipation not to mention that ankles and shins can take a beating. Will need to get back to some serious freezing and that does not look to happen until Jan 02 and then it warms up again got the next week and a half.