Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And she takes her curtain call

And she takes her curtain call

Well, at the beginning of the season I was not sure that my old girl would hunt anymore, but thanks to good vet care and the help of my friend Dr. Tracy Griffin of Cederbrae Labs my Grand Old Lady was able to give me one more season, #11 for us as a team. Today was quite likely our last hunt together, right now she is still going full out but a year can do lots to an 11 yr. old dog but here's hoping. Today was a special day so I kicked it old school and broke out Dads old 1947 Model 12 Trap. As is the case with late season Greenheads the birds were decoy shy, Robo shy and Call shy. It was a long wet windy day but we managed to scratch out a limit. Keela made all 8 retrieves a couple stupidly long, and someplace Dad was smiling. Great end to a special season and likely a long special career so my emotions were very mixed, the pic may not be the best taken through rain fogged lens but it's very special to me

"BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: And she takes her curtain call

Great story!! Love the retrievers..

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Good going. Sometimes even the toughest of us can get emotional about losing
    a dear and great companion, especially a faithful dog or horse. They so often
    show us their zest in life and to please by enthusiastically giving their best despite
    their severe aches and pains. We have to keep in mind that they wouldn't have
    it any other way. Many of us that appreciate their loyalty and commitment would
    do anything for them as well.

Touching post FG. She looks like she's ready for a well deserved snooze by the fire knowing you are close by.
    I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

They will give and give until they have nothing left to give, then try to give even more, we have to think for them, sometimes we must be cruel to be kind. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Ya know, we get a good number of a-hole posts and threads on this website, but it's threads like this, where you can really sense the emotions and bond between a hunter and his faithful companion that outweigh all the negative crap. That, and the kind words of comfort from friends who have gone though or are going through the same thing.

Good on ya Foxton for keeping her young with another hunt.

Cheers.
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

guest Guest

Congrats to you BOTH Foxton Jim ..... ! what a terrific way to end a season with the best friend in any hunting circle around, you and your ol Girl.

Thats what makes great memories and endless thanks to such a good Dog and career of bird doggin . Love those times you shared today !

CT

Good going Jim and maybe the old girl will surprise you and have another hunt or two with you down the road.

Special hunt forsure!~

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

A good dog is as valued as a good friend. It hurts bad when either is not capable anymore...

better er give her a special dinner tonight, to show her how much you love her
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main