View Poll Results: When do you bowhunt?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • All season(s) - I only hunt with a bow

22 23.40%
  • I bowhunt strictly during the bow only season

29 30.85%
  • I bowhunt throughout rifle season (as well as rifle hunt)

36 38.30%
  • I bowhunt only when an easy stalk presents itself in rifle season

1 1.06%
  • Other

6 6.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When do you bowhunt?

When do you bowhunt?

When do you bowhunt? - Please comment below if you chose 'other'...
    Last edited by nicktrehearne; 01-20-2016 at 12:40 PM.
    Hunter | Hunting/Wildlife Photographer
    www.nicktrehearne.com

2. Site Sponsor

Re: When do you bowhunt?

I bowhunt during the bow only season and take my bow during rifle season in case an opportunity arises.

other for me...as in not at all....well not since I was a kid with a little 20 pound fibre glass jobby...getting serious about maybe getting a crossbow to enjoy the additional seasons bow hunters get

I mainly bow-hunt (used to bow-hunt exclusively) throughout the seasons. I would be curious how many hunters use crossbows and when. I think that the demographics of hunting is rapidly changing with both rifle and bow hunters taking up crossbows more and more.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by papaken View Post
    I bowhunt during the bow only season and take my bow during rifle season in case an opportunity arises.

Same here. compound bow

Depends where I'm going, and who I'm hunting with. If on my own (which is most of the time)....I carry my bow. I enjoy loosing the boots, putting on a stalk, playing the wind, cover scent and everything else about being stealth. Still no big game bow success though..... but it will make it that much sweeter!

Never! I have a hard enough time with a rifle. I don't need the extra frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    Never! I have a hard enough time with a rifle. I don't need the extra frustration.
    I'm with this guy!wos

I prefer bows. And my recurves more... My compound is hanging out on the wall more and more. My dad is more of a pit meat in the freezer kinda guy so when I go on trips with him, he requests I take a rifle. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Nothing beats putting a stalk on an animal trying to get within 30 yards.

I think its been bow only for about three years with maybe one or two day trips with a rifle in that time. If I am ever lucky enough to win an LEH moose tag again I'll take a rifle because I'd want to increase the odds on putting that much meat in the freezer. However, if we get a 'group' draw and one of my partners puts one down before me then I'd switch to a bow in about two shakes of a lambs tail.

Full disclosure is that I was getting a tad bored with rifle hunting because it seemed like the "hunt" was pretty much over once spotting the animal within a couple hundred yards. I started bowhunting for the added challenge of getting in close and personal with traditional gear. I'm far less successful now but much more appreciative and humbled when I am successful in taking a deer or bear. I've actually spent more time afield with a compound bow for the last couple years. I've hunted elk for 10 years in the bow only season and have only been in perfect position to take the shot once... I miscalculated the range and shot way over his back and I'm still kicking myself for that one. Still can't ****ing believe it! LOL at myself!

I've super enjoyed the first ten days of September during bow-only season in the EK. Part of that is being in camp with a great group of guys and more so the thrill of the chase, calling them in to 20 yards or closer, and the satisfaction of knowing I'm getting better at the task. I still have lots to learn and am thankful that I've had the health and physical ability to do it, and hope to keep at it for another couple decades! One of the guys in camp turned 84 this year so if my daughter would hurry up and bring me a little hunting buddy or two maybe with their help I will be so lucky!!

I'd like to think that however you choose to participate, we all share a bond as hunters first and take pride in our roles as conservationists. Tippin back a scotch in a salute to us all!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."