Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Electric Fence..

Re: Electric Fence..

Daybreak I like your idea of the ERS system with the added chicken wire on the ground. I would have to think that a predator with the soft pads of there feet standing on the chicken wire and then touching the positive wire of the fence would give them one hell of a ZAP

Check out ferris fencing.

I did some research on electric fences a while back. If I understand it correctly, for a powerful zap not only high voltage is needed, but also a high joules. Can anyone confirm this? I think the small, portable units only produce about .5 joule but 110 volt units can produce 5, or more. I'm not sure how much 6 or 12 volt energizers produce.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdM9YOYrcbs
    yes posted before and this link was used as an example
    Lol ya I love that one....

Quote Originally Posted by 375shooter View Post
    I did some research on electric fences a while back. If I understand it correctly, for a powerful zap not only high voltage is needed, but also a high joules. Can anyone confirm this? I think the small, portable units only produce about .5 joule but 110 volt units can produce 5, or more. I'm not sure how much 6 or 12 volt energizers produce.

I was thinking the same thing ,,my thoughts are that if a person used a deep cell marine battery or a truck car battery fully charged have converter 12volt to 120v
    hooked to the batt sure this would work test your 12 volt batt every two hours and see how long the battery will last,person can have a full charged battery to replace the other
    when it gets low..

When you go home recharge the two batteries bring them back in to the camp hook one back up to the fence,,during the daylight hours use a solar panel to keep
    the 12 volt batt charged ??.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Here is a drawing of the portable posts that I will make I only need 4 of them the pegs to support the poles will be on the outside of the fence
    I can make everything up at home then take all into my camp and put all together with my 18 volt portable drill if I used 3/8 rebar I will hit
    lots of rocks in the ground would be hard to sink the rebar in the rocky ground,,any other Ideas would be appreciated..

Last edited by hunter1947; 01-17-2016 at 09:15 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

I have a thought for your posts Wayne. You would need the following;

4 large tin cans...free
    4 x 5' lengths of 3/8" rebar...pennies per foot
    1 bag quick mix cement $15
    1 gallon water... free

Go to the local recycling lot and scrounge through the tin cans for the large tins cans restaurants buy their ketchup etc in. There are always lots of them in the bin. Remove the tops from the cans if not already done.

Haul the above items to your location, place the cans on a level surface and fill each can with the quick mix cement. When the cement is just about set up insert your rebar rods and adjust for true. Allow to set. Dig a small hole in the correct location for each can and place the can and post in the hole. Again, adjust for true and then tamp soil around the can. They will outlast you and I and could be yanked from the hole when you leave and stowed in the bush for next time.
    I was born at night... but not last night.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

We used these when we were packing with the horses.
    We used fiberglass posts and ran five strands of the woven poly cord with the stainless wire woven in.
    We used five strands. The top, third and fifth row were hot. The second and forth row went directly back to the fencer. Even if the ground was dry this still provided a positive ground.
    We used this method around the landfill to keep the bears out.

Make 6 or 8 of those snap traps that use 12 gauge shells. Probably just as effective and a whole pile cheaper....
    plus a lot more fun...

google it Wayne
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

The unit I bought for my cabin is a patriot solar guard 155. It has the panel and battery all in one it works great.