Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Fence..

Re: Electric Fence..

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I wonder if I could discard the wire with this SG50 unit and put my own wire with insulators ancore the insulators to a tree ,,the 27x27 coverage might not be large enough for
    my needs I need about 45x45 coverage..
    I think you should have no problem attaching insulators to a tree , as long as the positive wires do not touch any type of foliage. And you should have no problem increasing the size to 45'x45'. It comes 27x27 to probably keep the weight down and because that size is large enough for a typical tent camp.

Quote Originally Posted by 375shooter View Post
    I think you should have no problem attaching insulators to a tree , as long as the positive wires do not touch any type of foliage. And you should have no problem increasing the size to 45'x45'. It comes 27x27 to probably keep the weight down and because that size is large enough for a typical tent camp.

I will be doing the 45x45 whatever it takes ,,just don't want any of my friends to come in in the middle of the night and get sapped,,LOL..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Would it even shock a bear? All that fur would be a pretty good insulator ... If the bear wasn't standing on wet earth would it work? Or does the kit have a second neutral wire strung along in isolation of the energized conductor?

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I set up my regular system that's energized through a transformer plugged into a household outlet.
    The negative wire was attached to rods driven deep into the ground and the positive wire was attached
    to insulators on wooden stakes. It didn't give any noticeable shock or jolt because the ground, by and
    under the positive wires, was crushed rock which effectively insulated it from the negative or ground wire.
    I altered the system by running alternate positive and negative wires fairly close together through insulators
    on the stakes so that even small animals would have to touch both. It was extremely effective, so much so
    that it really hurt and hammered me when I tested it. I'm pretty confident that a bear would really feel it the
    way I set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    I set up my regular system that's energized through a transformer plugged into a household outlet.
    The negative wire was attached to rods driven deep into the ground and the positive wire was attached
    to insulators on wooden stakes. It didn't give any noticeable shock or jolt because the ground, by and
    under the positive wires, was crushed rock which effectively insulated it from the negative or ground wire.
    I altered the system by running alternate positive and negative wires fairly close together through insulators
    on the stakes so that even small animals would have to touch both. It was extremely effective, so much so
    that it really hurt and hammered me when I tested it. I'm pretty confident that a bear would really feel it the
    way I set it up.

Good read good information..

I used it for pasture fencing (horses) and around the dog kennels (some dogs are climbers). Animals hate getting shocked. When the ground is dry it's a little tingle but when it's raining the current flows and it'll knock me on my ass.

I have my friend my hunting partner looking over my drawing of the electric fence that I will put together from scratch brian is the head electrician at victoria shipyards he will do a drawing on how I should put this fence up ,,I sent Brian a drawing on how I would build the fence but might not work so the project is in my hunting partners hands now will wait for his feedback on a drawing from him next week will let all of you members know how much all said and done will cost me and how it works when it's completed..

I will be getting this baygard 00121 electric wire yellow/black,,656 feet of it on the roll.

Wire cost is 35.90 for 656 feet

This is the bat controller I will be getting cost 132.99,,total cost for the wire and controller is 168.89..

Last edited by hunter1947; 01-16-2016 at 01:38 PM.

To save a little money rather than buying the electric fence poles you can use ready rod cut to what ever length that suits your purpose. They make insulators that slide over the rod and you just tighten them up at what ever height you want. Also get a good long ground rod and in dry or gravel type ground I find it helps to pour water around the ground rod to ensure a better ground

Quote Originally Posted by Big Hoss View Post
    To save a little money rather than buying the electric fence poles you can use ready rod cut to what ever length that suits your purpose. They make insulators that slide over the rod and you just tighten them up at what ever height you want. Also get a good long ground rod and in dry or gravel type ground I find it helps to pour water around the ground rod to ensure a better ground

Good feed back mam and women I love this thread I put up..

Here is the drawing I sent my hunting partner electrician friend ,,I don't know if it's right or wrong but if it is wrong he will figure it out..