Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Fence..

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: Electric Fence..

A word of advise in regard to electric fencing....they work best on moist ground.
    If the ground is dry and rocky it acts somewhat like insulation. A way to get around
    this is to run alternating + and - wires close enough together that animals touch both.
    As an example, I put a regular electric fence around my back yard to keep out cats
    and raccoons. I followed the instructions which had the ground wire attached to rods
    driven deep into the ground. It was ineffective because the fence was above crushed
    rock pathways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    I have a Udap bear fence for around the food/cooking area of camp. It comes with enough fence for a 27' square, but I have a roll of fence wire and extra poles to make it quite large if I want to. Not sure I've had any bears come to the fence, but none have ever been inside of it, that's for sure. A couple of wolves skirted it last fall.

Cheap insurance when you have to leave camp all day.
    So have you tried this electric fence ? It worked ?
    Where canyou buy one..?
    Thanks
    Steven

Used them in the nwt with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Just be extra careful with an electric fence when you go out in the dark for a pee, Wayne!

You might get the shock of your life!

Thanks Pat for the thumbs up I would have a electric fence that would be 30 feet away from my surroundings meaning camper fire pit the fence would be put up around my camp out 30 feet it would be in place so that if a grizzly did come in me not noticing it at the time the fence would help stop the bear and I would have time to do what I need to do,,sitting around the fire or even in the daytime when in a fairly thick wooded camp spot area you never know when a bear will walk out of the bush into your camp..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 01-13-2016 at 07:22 PM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

I put one up at my cabin to keep the cows out. It's a solar unit and works great. Would think it would work great around a camp. On the flip side my family keeps bees and you would be amazed at how smart and persistent a bear can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Poguebilt View Post
    I use my pack alarm... sleep much better at nite in bear country!

I do have a pack alarm but this won't shock a bear just lets you know that something has hit the line..

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    I have the same fence and we are starting to use it as we have Grizz around camp now.These are used in Alaska with good results.http://www.udap.com/mm5/category/bear-electric-fences
    Thanks for this link I like a few that are showing,,I like the 269.99 one..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 01-13-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Put a little corn flour in inflated balloons then coat them in bacon fat. Set trail cam. Post on HBC.
    I'll be home before winter. It's too cold to sleep out.

Thanks to all for giving me some ideas I will be following up on a electric fence for this year's camping hunting,,was some good feedback..

Quote Originally Posted by gamehunter6o View Post
    Put a little corn flour in inflated balloons then coat them in bacon fat. Set trail cam. Post on HBC.
    LOL your a corn dog Neil LOL....